DiabloBlack's Config - Updated 11/06/2012

DiabloBlack

Thread author
Nov 5, 2011
Additional configuration information:

Hardware Firewall: NETGEAR Wireless-N 300 router (WNR2000v2) w/NAT
Application Hardening: EMET 3.0 (Maximum Security Settings)
DNS Servers: Open DNS
Disk Cleanup: CCleaner
Disk Defrag: Auslogics Disk Defrag
Disk/OS Backup: Paragon Backup & Recovery 2012 Free Advanced (Weekly backup)
Disk/OS Recovery: Norton Bootable Recovery ISO and/or Hiren's BootCD
Sandbox: Sandboxie
Software Updater: Secunia PSI 3.0, FileHippo Update Checker

*Updated Firefox add-on list

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
RE: DiabloBlack's Config

Looks like a very solid config. Well done ;)

imsoadude

Level 3
Verified
Feb 21, 2011

Looks solid to me too :) although if you want to, you probably dont need SAS, malwarebytes and hitman pro are enough for on demand in my opinion but its up to you

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011

That's a very solid and locked down security setup for me. Well, All you need to do is keep everything updated and backed up and you're good to go.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

On that case, you suppose to be an advance user as the configuration is really good.

DiabloBlack

Thread author
Nov 5, 2011

@jamescv7, I know nothing compared to some of the stuff I read about on here. Around here I feel like a total noob :p

Thank you everyone for the feedback :)

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

A solid security config +1... if you want you can add to Firefox VTzilla.

VTzilla (Free) - link
VTzilla is a Mozilla Firefox browser plugin that simplifies the process of scanning Internet resources with VirusTotal. It allows you to download files directly with VirusTotal's web application prior to storing them in your PC. Moreover, it will not only scan files, but also URLs.
The scanning options are embedded in Firefox's context menu and download dialog, making the analysis process as easy as clicking a single button.

What other security products have you used in the past? When was the last time your system got infected?

PS. Welcome aboard:D!

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

Once you are here, your mind will be enriched of information in this forum. Then after you will not be a total noob. :)

DiabloBlack

Thread author
Nov 5, 2011

@Jack, I honestly can not remember when I first was infected by anything. I have helped so many folks fix their computers I don't remember the last time I had any issue with any computer of mine other than hardware issues.

Other AV products I have used or are using are Avast, Kaspersky, Vipre, Comodo and Zone Alarm. In VM's I'm using Avast with Comodo Firewall on one install and CIS in another. Just fixed a friends laptop (Vista) a week or so ago and it is now setup with Avast and Comodo Firewall. It previously had an expired version of Norton 360 and a bunch of malware.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011

Good to see that another advanced user joined us here! :D

DiabloBlack

Thread author
Nov 5, 2011
RE: DiabloBlack's Config - Updated 11/26/2011

Updated my config, disabled WOT and added BitDefender Traffic Light. Unlike community based site advisers like WOT, BitDefender Traffic Light is a real time link scanner and has performed really well in my VM so I'm giving it a spin on my desktop.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

Tell me how you go with BitDefender Traffic Light because if all goes well for you I would love to try it out as well.

D

Deleted member 178

@mclovin: using BDTL for some times now on chrome and nightly. So far so good. No issues.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

umbrapolaris said:
@mclovin: using BDTL for some times now on chrome and nightly. So far so good. No issues.

Ahh, okay. Will give it a shot then. Sounds like a pretty good piece of software. Thanks umbra

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

Used Bitdefender Trafficlight well I just unchecked the search analyzer since WOT would do the job there. No problem nor issues occurred for the past month used.

DiabloBlack

Thread author
Nov 5, 2011
RE: DiabloBlack's Config - Updated 12/29/2011

Updated my config, added Hiren's BootCD to my recovery tools.

Has anyone used this set of tools before? It sure has a huge list of toys on this CD.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

DiabloBlack said:
Updated my config, added Hiren's BootCD to my recovery tools.

Has anyone used this set of tools before? It sure has a huge list of toys on this CD.

Yes I have and use them. They are great when you need them. :)

DiabloBlack

Thread author
Nov 5, 2011

McLovin said:
Yes I have and use them. They are great when you need them. :)

I hope I don't need them anytime soon.

Oh and Bitdefender Traffic Light ran well in my VM so I know have it on my main Desktop. Runs good with no slowdowns. :)

DiabloBlack

Thread author
Nov 5, 2011
RE: DiabloBlack's Config - Updated 10/10/2012

Haven't updated my config in a LONG time. Mainly keeping everything up to date with no major changes. I did add Emsisoft Anti-Malware to my on-demand scanner list.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.