Solved Did Acer disable my bluetooth

BryanB

Level 19
Verified
Aug 17, 2017
This morning I performed a factory restore on my Acer laptop using a factory restore flash drive I created when I got it. This is about an hour and a half process and at the half way point Acer begins to install the drivers and bloatware indicating what it's installing for each one, 78 installations total. At install #75 it shows this "Installing (DPOP) Disable Bluetooth Signal" :alien: and sure enough when it's up and running you wouldn't even know it had a bluetooth module but it does, I just had Windows 10 running on it before this reinstall and the bluetooth worked fine.

I received this computer (unbootable) from a relative last Oct., it was 3 yrs old then and would probably have came standard with Windows 10 but it had Windows 7 so she probably ordered it that way, maybe not wanting bluetooth? Here is a link to this laptop models support page, Product support I use bluetooth to connect to my speakers and would sorely miss them. Any suggestions would be appreciated.:cry:

BryanB

Level 19
Verified
Aug 17, 2017
The device manager shows no problems in fact it doesn't show a Bluetooth module. It's a combination adapter, Wifi and Bluetooth so maybe uninstall the Wifi driver and reinstall and see what happens?

Edit: Sorry upnorth I didn't notice the link was to a tool, I'll have a look and get back, Thanks.

Upvote 0

upnorth

Verified
Staff member
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2015
The manual : https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Document/User Manual/User Manual_Acer_1.0_A_A.zip?acerid=635410120063759968&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE E3-111&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

Quote page 38 : " Bluetooth on your computer is disabled by default. To enable your computer’s Bluetooth adapter, do the following:
  1. Open the Charms and select Settings > Change PC Settings > PC and devices > Bluetooth, or press the Windows key + <W> and then type ’ Wireless ’; in the results, click on Bluetooth settings.
  2. Click the toggle next to Bluetooth to enable/disable it.
  3. Your computer will automatically start searching for devices, as well as make itself visible to other devices. "

Last edited:
Upvote 0

upnorth

Verified
Staff member
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2015
Was unsure what a " Charm " is so I had to check that in the manual. Quote " Charms allow you to perform useful functions, such as sharing content, turning off your PC or changing settings. How do I access the charms? Move your cursor into the upper right-hand corner of the screen. "

Must ofcourse be possible to access the bluetooth settings elsewhere even if the Charm aint available.

Upvote 0

BryanB

Level 19
Verified
Aug 17, 2017
The support page default refers to Windows 10, you have to change it to Windows 7, sorry friend.

Upvote 0

BryanB

Level 19
Verified
Aug 17, 2017
I'm going to try to uninstall and reinstall the Atheros driver and see how it goes.

Upvote 0

upnorth

Verified
Staff member
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2015
Sad to hear! If no solution is found you could simply get a external usb bluetooth adapter that you plug in and should work the same as the internal built-in.

Upvote 0

BryanB

Level 19
Verified
Aug 17, 2017
Yes or go without the speakers until I get this figured out. Thanks for all your help upnorth.:giggle:

Upvote 0