Did you experience slowdown issues in Windows 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
only slowdown i get is the icons "slow" display after the folder is open for the first time after the boot, once done, no more issues.
Yes, the icons display, I forgot about this. Normally, I do not look at them. But, I can see the same : 1 icon per 1 second. It does not prevent from sorting/accessing the files.

It'll be slower on a Virtual Machine compared to a Host.
But if not, it will be the sign that something disturbs the real system.

Edit.
I have just tested opening the big folder in a virtual machine: 1 core and 2GB RAM (virtualbox MSEdge). I can say that during the first 5 minutes after starting the system, Windows OS did a lot of things, and overall one could see the real slowdown. After it finished, I copied the big folder to desktop and opened it. Honestly, I did not see a big difference, as compared to my real system, when opening the folder and sorting the files. No slowdowns at all. Only, the scanning process took about 4 times longer (observing Antimalware Service Executable in Task Manager).

Last edited:
Reactions: XhenEd and Wave

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
I had never any slowdown.. .

Size of my windows partition C is 12 GB all time in (Shadow Mode) by Shadow Defender
System is clean few games and few programs (+secuirty) nothing more.

You have probably isssue with disc or one of program make you slow down...

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I forgot to mention... with Window Defender the most noticeable slow-down is when installing\uninstalling softs. Yes, it is quite noticeable. Antimalware Service is checking it all.
it's true. I usually install games, copy 10-50 Gbs of studying stuffs and multitask on my machine so I can always see WD slowing down my machine noticeably. It slowed down my copying speed, still better than kaspersky which decreased the copying speed by approximately 1/2 (could be bypassed by teracopy, KIS didn't scan the files)

arslan ejaz

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 5, 2015
Window Defender can cause sluggish performance sometimes and it can be visible when you are copying something, installing or uninstalling apps as @Evjl's Rain and @Lockdown said and it is more visible when using HDD's and one big problem of WD is its memory consumption it always stays at 90-100MB and goes to 200MB when it is scanning something.

Window Defender can cause sluggish performance sometimes and it can be visible when you are copying something, installing or uninstalling apps as @Evjl's Rain and @Lockdown said and it is more visible when using HDD's and one big problem of WD is its memory consumption it always stays at 90-100MB and goes to 200MB when it is scanning something.

Compared to some 3rd-party AVs, Windows Defender's memory consumption is quite good. Use Process Explorer or Process Hacker to view the private bytes and make a comparison. With some 3rd-party AVs you will be surprised, maybe even appalled. Of course, memory consumption is not an issue unless the system RAM is insufficient.

Then for SSDs one can check the disk writes. In this area too, Windows Defender is better than most of the 3rd-party AVs. Once again use Process Explorer or Process Hacker to check. Most SSD users don't even know that it could be an issue for them in the long run.

This is geek stuff.

D

Deleted member 178

Agreed with @Lockdown; why do you think i use WD (instead of disabling it or using 3rd party AVs)? because it does a good job for the limited capabilities it has, and that is enough for me to not need to disabling/replacing it.

If you fill unsecure, you are free to use something else.

Reactions: Andy Ful and XhenEd

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
No slowdown issues here so far. (here are my specs just for reference)

Most Windows 10 performance issues can usually be solved by disabling Windows Defender (usually not recommended, depends on the user and the usage/purpose of the computer - WD mostly affects CPU usage) or by disabling/enabling the Superfetch service.

Superfetch is sometimes responsible for performance spikes (high performance periods and low performance periods, in an unpredictable order) - regardless of hardware.

Personally, on a couple of machines with Windows 10 performance issues I got my hands on, I made sure to first disable Superfetch, and then try out any other tricks.

Of course, there can be many, MANY other underlying causes for system slowdowns (could not even be related to Windows 10, for all we know).

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I noticed something that could be experienced as slowdown by some users. When messing with malware samples, I noticed that Windows Defender can block access to some files for several minutes. This is related to Cloud checking, I think. After that, malicious samples are quarantined.

Duotone

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
If I were to compare Win7 desktop w/ my Win10 Latop I feel my desktop is faster even with my laptop having i3 and 4gb ddr4 RAM(desktop only has athlon II x2, 4gb ddr3, but I do have to consider HDD speed, and other apps included by HP), the problem usually is the 100% disk usage with my laptop at statup.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
If I were to compare Windows 7 desktop w/ my Windows 10 Latop I feel my desktop is faster even with my laptop having i3 and 4gb ddr4 RAM(desktop only has athlon II x2, 4gb ddr3, but I do have to consider HDD speed, and other apps included by HP), the problem usually is the 100% disk usage with my laptop at statup.
100% disk usage is the hardest thing I have ever dealt with. Don't really know how to fix them properly

the best solution I can find is to wipe everything, delete all partitions. Then use official windows ISO, boot and install/re-partition => may fix 100% disk usage

laptop i7 ~ desktop i5, i3 ~ core2duo. 2gb ram = 1gb ram desktop
I have an i3 desktop with windows 7 x86 and 7200rpm HDD, 1Gb RAM. It feels more responsive than my windows 10 laptop with i7, 8Gb ram and 5200rpm HDD even after reinstalling the fresh windows 10

Reactions: Andy Ful and XhenEd

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
100% disk usage is the hardest thing I have ever dealt with. Don't really know how to fix them properly

the best solution I can find is to wipe everything, delete all partitions. Then use official windows ISO, boot and install/re-partition => may fix 100% disk usage

laptop i7 ~ desktop i5, i3 ~ core2duo. 2gb ram = 1gb ram desktop
I have an i3 desktop with windows 7 x86 and 7200rpm HDD, 1Gb RAM. It feels more responsive than my windows 10 laptop with i7, 8Gb ram and 5200rpm HDD even after reinstalling the fresh windows 10
Really that is strange, computers who really understands them. :eek::)

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Really that is strange, computers who really understands them. :eek::)
I don't really think it's strange :)
power usage of a desktop is a lot more than a laptop so they are more powerful. Laptop is designed to be more power efficient.
I agree HDD speed is a major factor in PC performance. using i7 with a slow HDD is not good

also for laptop, we have to install tons of drivers and some softwares (audio enhancer, webcam, touchpad, wifi, bluetooth, fingerprint softwares) which will slow down the laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.