Advice Request Differences Between Qihoo TS and TSE

• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 55778
  • Start date

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

ForgottenSeer 55778

Thread author
What are the differences between TS and TSE? Is the protection/signature update frequency different? Is there a firewall (it it's Glasswire, does Glasswire provide better protection than Windows Firewall?)? Finally, how does 360 compare to Eset.

Many thanks and Happy Holidays.

Last edited by a moderator:

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
TSE is actually all of the basics of 360 TS.

What you do get with 360 TSE:

360 a-v/behavior monitor with all engines including BitDefender and Avira
Sandbox (same as 360 TS)
I think you get the browser protection add on (this is very good in conjunction with the a-v program/includes shopping and banking mode/can be added via extensions also for Chrome, IE, or Firefox)
I think you get patch up, which is an alternate way to get Windows updates. It can be turned off too.

What you do not get with 360 TSE:
Default system cleaner
Default system speedup analyzer
Default 360 Connect (Connect PC to PC with anyone using 360 TS)
Toolbox Registry cleaner
Toolbox Instant Setup (programs like Flash)
Toolbox Game Booster
Toolbox TurboVPN (limited use for free)
Toolbox System Backup Cleaner
Toolbox Firewall-Glasswire free version. Not technically a firewall, although individual IPs can be blocked with free. Excellent monitor of resource usage and by far the best of all free apps I have ever seen for monitoring daily, weekly, monthly net usage. Can be downloaded without 360 TS.
I don't think 360 TSE shows boot times on boot. May sound stupid, but I have seen some switch over this. TS shows boot times.

Glasswire is great if you are resource conscious. One thing about that. You can download Glasswire separately too. Google "download glasswire". With Glasswire, you can see exactly which IPs have EVER contacted your PC and so on. However, no way could anyone ever spot malware activity in that considering malware would likely mask itself as a system application. The graphs are very helpful for seeing data usage. Not a reason to choose 360 TS, since it can be found separately.

If you are interested in the tools, go with 360 TS. Otherwise, the sandbox is in both versions, and that I have found is the best reason for choosing either 360 TS or TSE. Works with all browsers and with office programs, including MS Office. Would work great with Acrobat or any other pdf viewer. 360 connect in 360 TS probably wouldn't swing very many users, but I like the idea personally. I can help folks I know if I know they have 360. Turbo VPN is limited to I think 500 MB a month for free. I wouldn't use that personally.

If you don't care for the extra tools, go for 360 TSE.

360 is great imo. It's different than avast, since 360 has the free sandbox. Avast has gone for more scanner tech and straight detection blocking tech. Not sure how 360 compares to Eset. 360 TS does have an ad module called PromoUtil.exe in the 360 folder. If you block its net connection, boot pop ups and scan ads won't appear. Not sure if Eset has ads.

If the newest version of 360 TSE has ads, it's pretty new to the program. 360 TS definitely does.

360 is testing well against ransomeware (see cruelsister's video):

Video Review - Qihoo Total Security- a Mechanistic Protection Test

Last edited:

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Glad to help. If you go with 360 either one and use the sandbox, look for the green bar that will appear on top of the program you run in the sandbox. The folder on the bar is a simple way to access the contents of the sandbox folder. There you will find folders and files created by the sandboxed program. If you have sandboxed the browser, downloads will go here.

The only thing about 360 TS that might cause someone who doesn't use the tools to use 360 TS is that there may be more tools and changes in the future. If you have 360 TS, you will feel like you have knowledge of what's changing about the application. 360 TSE is more like for an office computer or such where you just know you won't be needing anything but the a-v and the sandbox.

Anyway, 360 development has been impressive, so I find it's interesting to keep up with the choices the company is making, even if 360 TS is somewhat bloated with features I don't use.

F

ForgottenSeer 55778

Thread author
Three final questions:

Is the privacy okay (I heard they collect information like bank numbers)?

Is it as good as Kaspersky, for example, with the Bitdefender or Avira engine?

When I install it, which engine(s) should I use for optimal ram usage (I use webroot and my brain, never infected). Which is best for protection? Should I just use both (if both engines are light?

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
1. There may have been rumors, but I haven't seen any proof or even anything serious. Qihoo submitted a version of 360 for testing with Avira and Bitdefender enabled by default and got in trouble for that. It's very simple to enable them, but this was against the rules apparently. Qihoo reps seem like intelligent people and don't seem like crooks to me. Take a look at this video. This is what caused me to try 360 about a year and a half ago. When I saw they were using Amazon servers I thought they must be very serious about competing:

AWS Case Study: Qihoo 360

2. Is anything as good as Kaspersky? I don't know, but I assume you mean the Kas pay version. Not sure if they have a free. The pay version of Kas is probably the best available. How does 360 stack up? It's maybe 90% as good, but it's free and gaining ground. It is really good software. I have heard the 360 Bitdefender and probably Avira engines are a couple of hours behind Bitdefender's and Avira's definitions updates that they use themselves. However, detection is still very high, and I am expecting 360 to come up with something fairly soon. I can kind of sense it brewing. Maybe they will launch their own lab and get very seriously into definitions...not sure. I don't think getting the defs a little later is/will hold back the program. Hasn't so far imo. Very strong detection and behavior blocking that is very surprising too...as in cruelsister's video, which was all BB...no scan recognition and also against ransomeware.

3. Engines-wise, I haven't noticed any drag/lag with all of the engines enabled. Don't forget to click on the Connection On button top left of the main menu. This will open the configure options so you can choose the custom configuration for fully enabling all the features you want enabled. Then go into settings and make sure Bitdefender and Avira are enabled in the Virus scan settings. I guess you know about the buttons on the virus scan section of the main menu. Turn the Bitdefender and Avira buttons on. Highly recommend going with both engines for max protection from ransomeware.

I may end up on 360 TSE myself. I liked it when I tried it a while back. Good choice.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
If someone wants to use Qihoo's product, then it should be TS as I don't see any reason to use TSE. Based on some comment from members on this site, it would appear TSE is more prone to false positives, I would assume that's because it doesn't get updated as often as TS.

Even if you don't care for the features in TS, you aren't forced to use them.

1. There may have been rumors, but I haven't seen any proof or even anything serious. Qihoo submitted a version of 360 for testing with Avira and Bitdefender enabled by default and got in trouble for that. It's very simple to enable them, but this was against the rules apparently.
Another part of the problem was that the submitted product had Qihoo's own engine disabled, which normal users aren't able to do. I believe it was said that was done to reduce false positives caused by that engine.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Another part of the problem was that the submitted product had Qihoo's own engine disabled, which normal users aren't able to do. I believe it was said that was done to reduce false positives caused by that engine.

Thanks for the correction. :) I can't say, because I don't know, but it appears to me that 360 TSE was created to be an option for offices and companies, possibly mainly in China/Taiwan. Again, I don't know this. I did notice the version difference, which I forgot, but Qihoo did just farily recently update 360 TS to version 9. If they have a plan for TSE, I assume it will be updated too. Otherwise, I don't know why it's up for download.

Just for the record, cruelsister's video is 100% behavior blocks of ransomeware, not definitions. Still, I recommend both engines to see how you like the product that way. There is probably some lag with updates on the defs as compared to the BD and Avira programs, themselves, but I haven't noticed any tax on PC performance from running both. Your system may be different, but I have 360 TS on 3 systems of varying hardware specs, from an old P4 computer to an i5 2400 PC.

Last edited:

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
I wouldn't say it is slower to update - it just has far more components to update and TSE did not need them. I've noticed no protection differences between the two. TSE will obviously be lighter on disk space and may save a few MB's of RAM or so.

Keep in mind that TS now has ads and they are pushing out a premium product (TS with no ads + Lively Themes). TSE has no ads and hopefully will remain as a free + ad free version.

If you take a look here: Version History | 360 Total Security you will notice that version 9 for TS only updated TS features only, not engine or other core components. TSE latest update fixed bugs and added support for Windows 10 Anniversary Update. Future updates to TS from here are probably bug fixes only for TS exclusive features. Wish they would be more specific with what bugs they have fixed.

If by chance you have not seen the comparison chart, it is on the main page - you have scroll down quite a bit to see it. For convince, homepage link: 360 Total Security: Free Antivirus Protection | Virus Scan & Removal for Windows, Mac and Android. From there you can see the premium version as well.

F

ForgottenSeer 55778

Thread author
Thanks! I was on the mobile site when I asked the comparison question, so the chart wasn't there.

Reactions: AtlBo

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
If someone wants to use Qihoo's product, then it should be TS as I don't see any reason to use TSE. Based on some comment from members on this site, it would appear TSE is more prone to false positives, I would assume that's because it doesn't get updated as often as TS.

You are right on FP. I experienced the same thing. I don't trust Chinese companies. Just my personal belief. TS has become an AD bloat lately. TSE is cleaner, but FPs are high. I don't know why. All engines are the same, but detections are definitely different.

Edit: I left TS and TSE awhile back due to FPs being way too high on many apps I run.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Three final questions:

Is the privacy okay (I heard they collect information like bank numbers)?

Is it as good as Kaspersky, for example, with the Bitdefender or Avira engine?

When I install it, which engine(s) should I use for optimal ram usage (I use webroot and my brain, never infected). Which is best for protection? Should I just use both (if both engines are light?

1) Link source Actually it's been mentioned way back before that Qihoo gathers so many information including bank numbers however the latest privacy policy as been revised which justifies more on related security analysis purpose.

But still it's your decision to take Qihoo product since reputation of a company is also important for the integrity.

COLLECTION OF INFORMATION
Scope of Information
In order to provide our services described in the Software License and Service Agreement, we may collect the following information:

• Contact Information: your name and email address;
  • Correspondence: any information you provided or were provided through 360 related communication channels, including information provided through technical support and customer service;
  • Photograph: any photograph you share with or provide to us;
  • Device information: your operating system version, system language and IMEI number collected by 360 Connect for Android/iOS; your operating system, CPU model, memory, hard disk, computer name collected by 360 Total Security and uploaded to 360 cloud security center servers ("360 Cloud Security Center");
    • the manner you use our website, Services and Software, such as how frequently and at what time you install, use or uninstall our Software and its features;
    • IP address;
  • Information of installed programs: file paths and MD5 checksums of the executable files, installed software names, package names, software signature certificates, and software URLs in conjunction with our filtering feature (which are suspicious URLs detected by 360 Internet Protection, processed with encryption and temporarily stored solely to provide our Services), which will be uploaded to our 360 Cloud Security Center for virus scanning and Instant Setup function;
  • URL information: URLs of websites you visit, which will be uploaded to 360 Cloud Security Center with encryption for phishing and online fraud analysis, and from which personal information will thereafter be removed;
  • Security Information: malware activity, risky website visiting, system startup, disk usage collected by 360 Connect for Android/iOS and uploaded to 360 Cloud Security Center by 360 Total Security in order to receive the critical system event;
  • Information of Software Upgrade: the time and versions of the upgrades;
  • Unique Serial numbers: unique 360 serial number which created during your use of certain services and certain installation information (e.g. the type of operating system on your device) may be sent to 360 when you install or uninstall Software or when Software periodically contacts our servers, such as in a check for automatic updates;
  • Local storage: user settings, file whitelist and blacklist used to accelerate file scanning, which we may store locally on your device using mechanisms, such as browser web storage (including HTML 5) and application data caches, and upload startup items, system junks and malware detection to 360 Cloud Security Center, in order to activate 360 Connect for Android/iOS to check the computer, remove malware, optimize system performance and clean up system junks;
  • Error Log: error log (namely record of Software errors and/or crashes) and DUMP files (including the program execution status of program crash, such as the time of crash and system information) automatically generated by the Software when an unexpected error occurs or an application crashes, which will be uploaded to 360 Cloud Security Center based on your explicit consent in order to find out the reason that the error occurred or Software crashed and improve the quality of the product;

2) Well once you add Bitdefender and Avira engine with Qihoo's QVM + Cloud then the detection rate is increased more of 3% to 5%.

Not bad since BD and Avira can gather more zero day as possible because of it's response time.

Wordward

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
Great thread on what seems like a great free AV. The only thing that I've noticed, and maybe it's just me. Unlike AVG Free, Avast, and Avira, all of which I've recently trialed, Windows Defender didn't turn off when trialing 360 TSE. I know there is a reg fix to do this, but I was wondering if anyone else had this happen? Or not happen I should ask. :) Other than that, I preferred 360 TSE. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.