Guide | How To Disable File Download IE Tweak

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Disable File Download IE Tweak - topic here ..

100% Web Security Layer of Protection Against Viruses - Malware, by Stop Downloads IE Tweak here .. Protect yourself against unknown Web threats with this simple tweak, like me: Disable IE's Downloading Capabilty.

This is the Best Anti-Executable forever, anti exe, deny of downloads .. It's 100% defense and 0 weight.

It's reversible at any time, without restarting Internet Explorer. It's essential for me that I applied this security tweak in my PC. I feel very safe with this Protection by Prevention. Prevention by Tweak!

Quote from the website http://articles.networktechs.com/46-p1.php (which not exist now, I see - link is dead):

'To disable IE's downloading capability, follow these steps:
Open Internet Explorer.
Tools menu --> Internet Options.
Security tab --> select the Internet Web content zone, and click the Custom Level button.
In that list of settings box find the Downloads heading You'll see File Download. Disable that radio button.
Click OK twice.
Nobody can download things through IE anymore! Internet Explorer will display a warning message stating that the current security settings do not allow the downloading of files every time they try to download something. This is available to admins because most people out there really shouldn't be able to download things!'

.. so if now I click on download link, I receive this warning message: 'Security Alert: Your current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded '. I click OK. - That's all.

-----------------------------

Feel free to share with us this same tweak for Firefox, Opera, Safari, Chrome ..

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
RE: Disable File Download Tweak

This method applies to Internet Explorer only.

Don't forget other vectors (ie. network or external drives) as a point of entry.

OT: Prorootect, how do you survive by using IE8 or exploring new web content, it's quite limited?
http://html5test.com/compare/browser/ie08.html
No extensions make the browser very bland and boring, adding extensions can make it unstable and slow (in my experience), so I'm surprised you're not a Linux user. :p

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
'This method applies to Internet Explorer only.'
- So it is a pity for other browsers ..

'Don't forget other vectors (ie. network or external drives) as a point of entry.'
- In my Windows, has always been disabled services: Lanmanserver, and Lanmanworkstation .. Look here: http://malwaretips.com/Thread-The-Future-of-Malware-is-here-%E2%80%93-CryptoLocker?pid=137897#pid137897

'OT: Prorootect, how do you survive by using IE8 or exploring new web content, it's quite limited?'
- HTML5 websites are quite limited .. I have too SlimBoat browser (283 points of HTML5) ..

'.. adding extensions can make it unstable and slow ..'
- Sure, and no secure! - that's why I have sometimes enable Flash extension, that's all. NO extensions here.

'.. I'm surprised you're not a Linux user.'
Yes! I'm not Linux user, and increasingly less Windows user ..
Life moves quickly and I try to live rather than sitting in front of a screen, sorry ..

Good luck to you, Earth.

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Disable File Download Option in Internet Explorer in Windows 8.1: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/disable-file-download-option-internet-explorer

You may agree a handful of downloaded files from unknown authors carry the risk of running some sort of viruses. These files feature an executable code and therefore are dangerous. What is worrisome, the threat rises up exponentially when more people have access to the same machine. For instance, in a home environment, kids or other individuals who do not have much knowledge of malware may end up downloading a file that may contain malware. If you have an anti-virus software installed, well and good. But if you don’t want people to download files from the Internet to your machine, as an additional precautionary measure you can disable the file download option of your Internet Explorer. ..

There are several situations when disabling downloads in IE provides a temporary or permanent fix to guard your PC against viruses, worms, trojans, and other malware. Microsoft makes it possible to disable all downloads in Internet Explorer.

Voilà ..

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.