Disable Windows Sidebar and Gadgets NOW on Vista and Windows 7. Microsoft warns

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
i removed my gadgets since they used around 20% of CPU usage and around 30mb RAM.

Man that is very high, I use 4 gadgets and altogether they use only about 1% CPU and under 40,000k RAM. Gadgets include Weatherbug, Microsoft Calender, Vista Calculator and All CPU Meter.

Either you have a low performance system, you had way too many gadgets loaded or something is interfering with the gadgets causing them to use more resources, like security products.

Thanks.:D

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
windows gadget off:

To disable them, simply open up Control Panel and type “features” into the search box
Find the link for “Turn Windows features on or off” and open it.

Remove the checkbox from Windows Gadget Platform, click the OK button and restart your computer when it’s all done.

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
Turn off hibernation
To make hibernation unavailable, follow these steps:
Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.
When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.
At the command prompt, type powercfg.exe /hibernate off, and then press ENTER.
Type exit and then press ENTER to close the Command Prompt window.
To make hibernation available, follow these steps:
Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.
When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.
At the command prompt, type powercfg.exe /hibernate on, and then press ENTER.
Type exit and then press ENTER to close the Command Prompt window.

D

Deleted member 178

Littlebits said:
Either you have a low performance system, you had way too many gadgets loaded or something is interfering with the gadgets causing them to use more resources, like security products.

i used 4 realtime monitoring gadgets :

- All CPU Meter
- Drive Monitor 2
- Network Monitor
- Process Monitor

they are the best gadgets in their fields, i didnt find other ones that gave me so much infos and they are very tweakable; but too heavy.

(McLovin knows them too) , they are made from the same developers they were just heavy because they gave lot of infos compared to others monitoring gadgets.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
Littlebits said:

i used 4 realtime monitoring gadgets :

- All CPU Meter
- Drive Monitor 2
- Network Monitor
- Process Monitor

they are the best gadgets in their fields, i didnt find other ones that gave me so much infos and they are very tweakable; but too heavy.

(McLovin knows them too) , they are made from the same developers they were just heavy because they gave lot of infos compared to others monitoring gadgets.

With all of those monitoring gadgets running at the same time, that would eat up resources on just about any systems. I only use one monitoring gadget.

Yes I love All CPU Meter, I have not found anything that compares to it. Of coarse CoreTemp doesn't give me correct temps, last time I tried it, it said my CPU was 39 degrees F.
I use Asus Probe II to monitor my temps and fans speeds, all other tools that I have tired don't give accurate results for my motherboard. Accuracy is important when you have an over-clocked system.

I use System Explorer to monitor processes, network and services.

I tried Rainmeter and hated it, after applying several skins and editing configurations, I uninstalled it.

It appears all other gadget applications are already discontinued, not updated regularly or just not as good as Windows gadgets. I'm hoping Microsoft don't force the removal and will find a patch to fix this so-called vulnerably. If you ask me just using Windows OS is a vulnerability.
But I bet you won't see Microsoft posting a fix telling users not to use Windows. They are vulnerabilities found in Microsoft products all the time especially MS Office, but Microsoft applies patches and keeps them running. I don't see why they can't do the same with Windows Gadgets, unless they no longer want to mess with it and the vulnerabilities are just an excuse to get out of keeping them running. I wonder if Microsoft will use the vulnerability excuse to phase out other products?

I know several users say they don't use the gadgets, but I found more users do use them. If they didn't then why so many software developers still making gadgets and keeping them updated? You can go to most of the popular download sites and gadgets are top downloads.

D

Deleted member 178

i used all those gadgets because i can have an instant detailed and precise view of what happening without clicking on Processs Hacker :D

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
i used all those gadgets because i can have an instant detailed and precise view of what happening without clicking on Processs Hacker :D

Try System Explorer, close to system tray, it has a nice feature where all you have to do is hoover over the icon in your taskbar with your pointer and all info is displayed just like a gadget.

When you move your mouse pointer off of the taskbar icon, it all disappears. It is quick and easy without having to restore and minimize Process Hacker.

System Explorer is light on my system but all systems are different. It don't hurt to give it a try.

Good day.:D

Nikos

Jul 19, 2012
except of system, disk, network in rainmeter what else its useful to use? wan also whats the nicest theme? :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Littlebits said:
I tried Rainmeter and hated it, after applying several skins and editing configurations, I uninstalled it.

I know several users say they don't use the gadgets, but I found more users do use them. If they didn't then why so many software developers still making gadgets and keeping them updated? You can go to most of the popular download sites and gadgets are top downloads.

I don't use it either, but I may have found a Rainmeter replacement. ;)

*cough* Security vendors; Norton, Avast, Kaspersky added gadgets too *cough*

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
Earth said:
I don't use it either, but I may have found a Rainmeter replacement. ;)

*cough* Security vendors; Norton, Avast, Kaspersky added gadgets too *cough*

I always do a custom install of av and first thing i do is not to install this desktop gadgets

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.