Disappointed with Bitdefender: Settings & Notifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chigwells

Level 4
Thread author
Jan 16, 2012
Hi All, I decided to comment on Bitdefender here, before maybe heading over to one of the official BD forums, cause here is where I got it (greatly appreciated, thanks to madyrocksin!)

Previously I used Avira Antivir with Comodo firewall, never had any problems with the combo, but hey, who can resist a free offer?

So, I've read through Nomad's thread, can't say I've noticed any slow down problems.

First off, what really bugs me is the notification indicator on the desktop widget. At the moment its telling me that I have 31 notifications. But when I open the control panel, they are old notifications (BD wasn't updated at some point), despite the fact that it is currently up to date. The notifications are still there, despite being redundant!

Note: they come about because I sometimes turn off the Internet connection, only activate it when I am actually online. My Viao has one of these switches that let you control Internet access, and I use it. Surely it wouldn't take too much to have the software recognize that BD is up to date and remove old redundant notifications!

Secondly, it seems to change settings by itself (main panel). If I set it to Autopilot, I go back later and see it has set itself to User Mode. It turns Auto Update off, this has happened a few times!

Before writing this I decided to check all the settings, and discovered on the Anti Virus > Shield panel, where I have both On-access scanning and Active Virus Control set to aggressive, that the latter was set to 'off'!

Additionally I never know if its performing a background scan, or updating. The only information I can find about scanning is on the home panel, 'last scan: today'.

All in all I get little confidence from this software. Big thumbs down! :mad: :wacko: :mad:

Viao laptop, W7HP 64bit, i3, Bitdefender IS2013, Emsisoft AM, SandboxIE.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
RE: Dissapointed with Bitdefender: Settings & Notifications

Widgets are aren't necessarily at all since its consume lots of resources there.

bitdefender have faced lots of issue problems regarding in the sotware itself especially when uninstallation process as it leaves a driver that caused then internet inactive.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

I noticed the Auto-Pilot to User mode changes, when switching between Main Power and Battery.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011

Thanks for sharing your feedback on BitDefender,

Over time here we have had many members provide us with negative feedback on BitDefender, Overall it seems to be very problematic in all areas - ranging from slow downs both system and internet based, buggy features or UI issues right down to left over drivers and files from un-installs.

If the folks over at the official BitDefender forums ain't much help and you continue to have problems.

You might want to bookmark this and go back to using the combo that you found good.

Thanks.

Chigwells

Level 4
Thread author
Jan 16, 2012

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback!

@ jamescv7 Yup, removed the widget

@ Earth Interesting, I'll keep an eye out for that

@ MrXidus Nah, I'll hang on to it.

In its defence I find it very unobtrusive (maybe that's part of the problem though)

Chig

Chigwells

Level 4
Thread author
Jan 16, 2012
Hey guys, another update. This evening I opened up the BD control panel as the B in the status bar had turned yellow.

Turns out both the Auto Update and Auto Scan functions have turned themselves off! :cool:

I don't think I've got any 'bugs', as I've got Emsisoft AM (paid) running regular scans, as well as MBAM, SAS, HitmanPro on-demand scans. Everything comes up clean. It must be just unstable software, as you suggest, MrXidus. :dodgy:

I guess I'll head over to the BD forums at some point but for now am just monitoring.

Sure won't be paying for this one! :sleepy:

p.s. after reading Earth, Plexx, maaster and malbky at http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Bitdefender-IS-2013-settings, I've turned off Autopilot. Turned off Laptop Mode.

Thanks to Everyone!! :exclamation:

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
"GZFLT" Driver

Find it with Process Hacker, or like software and remove it after you uninstall Bitdefedner.

ONT209

Level 1
Verified
Feb 2, 2013
Bitdefender only have highest detection rates but lack alot in user customization, notifications, logging etc. We can't customize bitdefender according to our own requirements as they introduce the silent security feature since 2012 and I can't understand who suggested this and what feedback they got that they design their excellent product to such ill-logical feature of silent security.

Chigwells

Level 4
Thread author
Jan 16, 2012
Yet another update in this disappointing episode: my Auto Update turned itself off, this despite me having enabled password protection!

Can an infection do this, or is it more likely due to buggy software?? (turns out I have picked up an infection at some point)

I've got 91 Antivirus notifications, and 99+ Update notifications!!! ('You are currently protected, there are no issues to fix', Last update: today)

The only good thing I can say about the software is the SafePay secure browser.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What kind of infections had Bitdefender detected?

GA4E1

Verified
May 4, 2013
I never experienced the Auto Pilot being turned off before on 2013 version. Have you tried reinstalling? Is it maybe because of some settings you have done?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
A possibility that the infection slip can destroy an AV depends of the level.

But for the case, its potential an issue for Bitdefender.

Try to repair from Bitdefender uninstaller if available from add/remove program.

GA4E1

Verified
May 4, 2013
To have so many notifications, maybe you have been infected? Have you tried doing scan with on demand scanners first?

Chigwells

Level 4
Thread author
Jan 16, 2012
Hi guys, I think I need to make something clear. :huh:

The only reason I posted the screenshot of BD was because of the irony, all those Antivirus and Update notifications on the one hand, and the green light plus 'There are no issues to fix' on the other. :exclamation: :mad:

I'm just in the process of posting starting a thread in the Malware Removal Assistance forum, and after I get things hopefully cleared up, I'm uninstalling BitDefender IS2013 and going back to my old combo Comodo firewall with Avira (although I'm also considering Avast AV and Comodo AV). :party:

woomera

Level 7
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
i'd normally say "welcome to the club" (among many other sarcastic lines floating in my head) but that club is old, crowded and stinky.

though that only means many of us been there just like you...

bitdefender= nice UI + high detection rate engine - poorly designed software - awful customer support

sounds about right!?

Reactions: Chigwells

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
Chigwells said:
Hi guys, I think I need to make something clear. :huh:

The only reason I posted the screenshot of BD was because of the irony, all those Antivirus and Update notifications on the one hand, and the green light plus 'There are no issues to fix' on the other. :exclamation: :mad:

I'm just in the process of posting starting a thread in the Malware Removal Assistance forum, and after I get things hopefully cleared up, I'm uninstalling BitDefender IS2013 and going back to my old combo Comodo firewall with Avira (although I'm also considering Avast AV and Comodo AV). :party:

I'm with you too! I've had nothing but trouble with BD as well and posted on here as well with my problems and am now either going with avast av + Comodo fW, or the whole Comodo suite. It works way better and it's HIPS is amazing. I don't mind it being chatty because I know what to allow and deny. I love BD's detection rate but boy do they ever need to improve their software big time. Oh and I also had issues with auto pilot turning itself on and off. My BD blocked me completely from the internet soon as I installed it. I knew right then, it would be nothing but problems after I solved that issues within the firewall component settings.

johnny bravo

May 27, 2014
What to do when Autopilot/Autoscan/Auto Update are randomly disabled

Bitdefender is by default set to Autopilot for completely silent security. While on Autopilot, Bitdefender makes all security related decisions for you and you don't have to configure any settings.

However some computer activities, such as games or presentations, require increased system responsiveness and performance, and no interruptions. When your laptop is running on battery power, it is best that unnecessary operations, which consume additional power, be postponed until the laptop is connected back to A/C power. To adapt to these particular situations, Bitdefender includes two special operation modes:

• Game Mode
  • Laptop Mode

About Game Mode

Game Mode temporarily modifies protection settings so as to minimize their impact on system performance.

When a known game or an application in fullscreen is started Bitdefender will automatically detect it and Game Mode will be enabled setting Antivirus to permissive, disabling pop-ups and alerts, disabling AutoScan, Safebox Auto Sync and automatic Update, disabling the Bitdefender Browser Toolbar.

Obviously, once the game is over or no longer in full screen, Bitdefender will automatically switch to the previous Bitdefender settings

About Laptop Mode

Laptop Mode is especially designed for laptop and notebook users. Its purpose is to minimize Bitdefender's impact on power consumption while these devices are running on battery.

When Bitdefender operates in Laptop Mode, the Autoscan, Auto Update and Safebox Auto Sync features are turned off, as they require more system resources and, implicitly, increase power consumption.

Bitdefender detects when your laptop has switched to battery power and it automatically enters Laptop Mode. Likewise, Bitdefender automatically exits Laptop Mode, when it detects the laptop is no longer running on battery.

If you would prefer Bitdefender to always stay in Autopilot or you just don’t want to use any of these features you can turn off Automatic Game Mode and/or Automatic Laptop mode as follows:

• Bring up the main Bitdefender interface
  • Click the Settings button on the upper toolbar
  • In the Settings Overview window, select General
  • In the General Settings window, select the General tab
  • Turn off Automatic laptop mode /Automatic game mode by clicking the corresponding switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.