Disappointed With Bitdefender

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nomad

Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2013
I am very disappointed with Bitdefender IS 2013.

The past few days it slowed my computer down to a complete crawl. Web pages took minutes to load, not seconds.

I removed it, and am back to normal.

I don't know why sites like AV comparatives would recommend Bitdefender.

Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong, or what to replace it with?

amvlad

Level 1
Aug 3, 2011
Hi Nomad,

We're very to hear about your issues with Bitdefender. To my knowledge, we don't have any reported slowdown issues. Most probably, the cause of the issue is particular, local based. In order to proper investigate the issue, i will kindly ask you to contact us at bitsy@bitdefender.com.

Thank you for your cooperation.

/Alin Vlad
Global Social Media Coordinator at Bitdefender

avastalicious

Verified
Jan 30, 2013
@Nomad
Sorry to hear that. :(
I myself started using Bitdefender recently and have no problems with it whatsoever. The system feels very responsive in all tasks.

Can you post your complete system specifications? I would be interested especially in your CPU model and speed and the amount of system RAM.

You can try and run their uninstaller located here:
http://www.bitdefender.com/files/KnowledgeBase/file/BD2013_Uninstall_Tool.exe

It will clear your system of all remaining traces and it will remove the registry keys left. You can try reinstalling IS2013 and see if the problem is gone.

Also, have you had any other security solutions installed prior to Bitdefender?

madyrocksin

Jul 30, 2012
Nomad said:
Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong

Using Bitdefender :p

Nomad said:
what to replace it with?

The one that best suits your system and needs, if you want suggestion for a suite i would recommend opening a new thread or reading some old threads on the same discussion

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Nomad said:

Could also be on how powerful your system is.

As for other options, are you look to pay for an Internet Security Suite or would like a free alternative?

If your looking for a free alternative some options are:
  • MSE
  • Avast
  • Avira Free
  • Comodo
  • AVG

As for some paid ones that I would recommend:
  • Trend Micro
  • Kaspersky
  • ESET

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
When I ran it and tested it out I had no issues with slowdowns on my system at all.

Many times this is due to your system specs and not the program itself. This is why trying them out on your system is important.If it is due to your system you might find that many other Security Suites give you the same performance issues.

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Oh nice, More staff of vendors joining :D

Anyhow, I haven't experienced slowdowns with BD ever so It could be the type of system you have.
Every product works different depending on your specs, for example McAfee: Slows my laptop down to a crawl which has an old CPU and 2GB of RAM but on my aunts new PC which has a intel i7 and 12GB of RAM, its light as a feather.
However, BD was light on my old laptop so it all depends how you also take care of your PC like, Do you clean it? Defrag? etc. It could be that and BD made it worse.

Anyhow, you can follow up with BD's tech support or you can use the free version of bitdefender which (to my knowledge is Light)

If not, I recommend these products to give a shot that I know that are light that offers decent protection.
1. Norton IS
2. Webroot SecureAnywhere

Nomad

Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2013
Well, I was using it on my Windows 8 laptop. I have 4 GB ram and a Pentium B980.

I'm trying it on another computer with Vista, and I will see how that goes.

I'm replaced it with ESET last night, and it is much better.

avastalicious

Verified
Jan 30, 2013
Nomad said:
Well, I was using it on my Windows 8 laptop. I have 4 GB ram and a Pentium B980.

I'm replaced it with ESET last night, and it is much better.

I don't think you should have any problems with Bitdefender on your hardware, must be some sort of software/driver conflict.

Anyways, I'm glad that you are happy with ESET now. :D

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Nomad said:

Instead of using Vista, why not try it on Windows 7 as it's much more reliable than Vista.

P

Plexx

Nomad said:

The past few days it slowed my computer down to a complete crawl. Web pages took minutes to load, not seconds.

BD can cause issues on some systems. I had the same issue before with BDAV. It is isolated cases tho, since if it was a known issue affecting most users, BD Forums would have been swarmed by now and they aren't.

BD is highly advertised due to its detection rate and not due to its protection modules and surely not because of their scan speed and removal.

Pointless having a high detection rate when the process of prevention (auto-pilot is one of the culprits here), scanning and removal are time consuming with issues on its own.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Biozfear said:
Nomad said:

BD can cause issues on some systems. I had the same issue before with BDAV. It is isolated cases tho, since if it was a known issue affecting most users, BD Forums would have been swarmed by now and they aren't.

BD is highly advertised due to its detection rate and not due to its protection modules and surely not because of their scan speed and removal.

Pointless having a high detection rate when the process of prevention (auto-pilot is one of the culprits here), scanning and removal are time consuming with issues on its own.

Also to mention their high false positive rates and automatically permanently deleting false positives instead of quarantine them like most other AV's do. Their customer supports sucks and bugs take forever to get fixed. Their high detection rate really isn't nothing because of all of the other issues.

Thanks.:D

D

Deleted member 178

seems they follow Norton path... good -> bloated -> poor -> good

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
Nomad said:

Hello,

I am in the same boat as you.

I really don't get why the would recommend it either. I installed it today to give it a test go. Well to say the least, I started a full system scan. 5 hours later it was still going. So I just gave up and stopped it. Then I went on here to read more about Bitdefender when I noticed that my browsing speed was so slow.

It got on my nerves so much that I couldn't wait to have it uninstalled. I am now giving Kspersky a go.

Let me tell you, Kaspersky is so much better. I think it should be number one, not Bitdefender. It's settings are amazing. It isn't slowing down my web browsing. I don't feel much system slow downs, start up is affected a little though. I haven't ran a full system scan yet due to it being 2AM and I don't know how long it will take, hopefully not 5 hours :mad: I will be starting a full system scan tomorrow :)

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
BDIS 2013 is much heavier on the cpu and overly then the 2012 version, Bitdefender Team meant if they cut the ram they would solve the performance issues but they didn't, BitDefender is a great software but in keeping your system secure, they don't think about that there are still pc's and laptops with less than 4gb of ram and Intel Core i5 or even i3.
I also don't like the fact that the infections are not deleted/disinfected/quarantined in at least 5 seconds uppon detection, BitDefender is just taking too long for that. If you download a malware sample pack from this forum for example and try to extract them all, well, your pc or laptop may explode :D I personally think that they made an autopilot mode for the reason that users cannot see actually how long the Bitdefender needs to take proper actions after it detected a threat when an autopilot mode is on.
And not to mention that Active Virus Control settings are having their own brain and are changing whenever they want.
It really slows down a computers, and web browsers, and the whole internet experience, I just can recommend it to users with really good hardware components, others with mediocre and low specifications : stay away and use Eset, Avast or Webroot!

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
My most recent experience with BitDefender was disappointing.

After using it for 24 hours I decided it's just not doing me good at all and uninstalled it and replaced it back with good old Windows Defender (Windows 8).

I have a high performance laptop and I honestly thought I'd be one NOT to experience any slow down or issues.

You can see my laptop specifications and the reason why I got rid of BitDefender in my configuration thread.

Thanks.

avastalicious

Verified
Jan 30, 2013
Allright, am I the only one that sees Bitdefender light as a feather on the resource matter? Like I'm not trolling you guys but I just can't feel it running and I'm amazed by the ammount of people having problems with it.

My main desktop specs:
AMD Athlon II x2 250 @ 3 GHz
4GB DDR3 Dual Channel RAM
SAMSUNG SSD 830 Series 64GB
Windows 8 Pro

I tried Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 and Avast! 7 Antivirus recently and the performance was nowhere near as with Bitdefender. I even had 2-3 seconds delays in opening any program with Avast and the system felt like I had a single core with Kaspersky.
Maybe Bitdefender is optimized for AMD or something? I don't get it. :D
Oh and I also run at 3GHz all the time, no power saving mode is active. I even disabled all power savings in BIOS as well and undervolted the chip with a few millivolts. The result is the CPU staying between 20-30 degrees celsius at all times and the power usage being really low, also ensuring max performance in any usage scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.