Not open for further replies.

Malware Man

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
Hello,

I won a license for Bitdefender a couple months ago during a giveaway on here and I installed it and it gave me numerous problems. It's scanning speed is just horrendous. When I installed it and rebooted it locked me out of my internet and I couldn't use it. I eventually got it working again by fooling around with the settings located in the firewall component. Then I noticed system slow downs and slow internet speeds. By that time I just had enough and went back to avast! and never looked back again at it.

The only thing I like about Bitdefender is that it has amazing detection rates but most antivirus companies that are using it's engine are actually better than Bitdefender itself, which is quite sad. I somehow feel they are making more money off people using their engine than people buying subscriptions from them to use their software.

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
It should not cause these problems to you but it's a fact that some users of Bitdefender generally have problems with the product. Avast is great, but Comodo is great & light too. If some configuration is not a matter to you, I suggest you to try Comodo internet security (free). It can offer same and to me better protection than Avast.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
When any paid security product starts offering free license giveaways all over the web that tells you something has to be wrong with it.

There has been more BitDefender giveaways this year and the majority of last year compared to all of the other security products added together.

Many users will automatically take advantages of these giveaways even when their installed products already does its job.

BitDefender has an excellent AV engine but is a sorry product just like VirusBuster (excellent AV engine but is a sorry product).

I will have to agree that they probably make more money from licensing their AV engines to third-party vendors.

Thanks.:D

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Bitdefender generally brought problems for some users even a first time tried.

Those issues were similar and tends a time consumig removal operation.

Their AV is good and its offer interested by lots of other companies to license + profitable always.

GA4E1

Verified
May 4, 2013
I had problems with Bitdefender 2012 but no problems with 2013. I think it is the same as avast 7 and 8: Some users had issues with 7 while others with 8.

Cannot base a product going down hill because some users have issues. If the product had major issues, there would be fixes already to ensure it is fixed.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Mostly down hill product are ranged from performance to prevention and detection itself.

Performance varies cause more can run without problems.

Malware Man

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
Thank you all! It seems Bitdefender has a ton of bugs that really need to be fixed. I'm not even gonna bother installing it again. I've used both Comodo and Avast before. I love them both. Probably will end up back with them lol.

Chigwells

Level 4
Jan 16, 2012
Hey Malware Man, i hear you. I'm battling my first major infection since donkeys. will be uninstalling in the near future.

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
I always had some tech problem with Bitdefender, Mostly slow internet speeds.
However, I love their engine, So if you want to use the engine everyone is all hyped about, invest into a good product that uses the BD engine like Emsisoft, BullGuard, etc.

Ibracadabra09

Jun 7, 2013
Hey I need help with BD IS 2013. Problems are(slow boot) black screen with mouse cursor for 10 sec before Welcome screen on WIndows 7 x64 SP1 Pro and second problem is when installing games or bigger programs, computer is very slow something like freezing on 1 or 2 seconds and very slow installation of programs or games. When installation is finished PC start to work normally. What can be a problem(this was problem with 2012 now with 2013 i didn't try 2014). Sorry for my English :D

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Ibracadabra09 said:
Hey I need help with BD IS 2013. Problems are(slow boot) black screen with mouse cursor for 10 sec before Welcome screen on WIndows 7 x64 SP1 Pro and second problem is when installing games or bigger programs, computer is very slow something like freezing on 1 or 2 seconds and very slow installation of programs or games. When installation is finished PC start to work normally. What can be a problem(this was problem with 2012 now with 2013 i didn't try 2014). Sorry for my English :D

If it is giving you that many problems the only thing to do is uninstall it use the removal tool and try a different AV.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Ibracadabra09 said:
Yes this is great solution haha but I have 3 years licence for BD, maybe i have to wait for 2014 version.

If you have bought legal license for it then contact support tell them you want a refund if they can solve the problems.

License or no license I would put up with these problems when other solutions are available.

Ibracadabra09

Jun 7, 2013
Littlebits said:
Ibracadabra09 said:
Yes this is great solution haha but I have 3 years licence for BD, maybe i have to wait for 2014 version.

If you have bought legal license for it then contact support tell them you want a refund if they can solve the problems.

License or no license I would put up with these problems when other solutions are available.

I'll try BETA to see if same problem exist then no BD for me again.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.