Advice Request diskeeper 16 anyone use?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viper007

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
May 27, 2014
Hi,

Just wanted to ask if anyone here has tried or use diskeeper on ssd drvies? I have 1 m.2 ssd and 1 normal ssd and a normal hdd, i do not defrag ssd ever but i know this program is more of a way to prevent
fragmentation.

jerzy601

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
I used to use the defragmenter is a very good program but I ran out of license and had to move on Auslogics Disk Defrag Pro. of course, in terms of disk defragmentation hdd,
the main advantage of this program is the high performance and speed defrogmentacji, the program is easy to use.
operates in configure-and-forget and he will do everything.
program is worth our attention and interest him.:)

Viper007

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
May 27, 2014
I used to use the defragmenter is a very good program but I ran out of license and had to move on Auslogics Disk Defrag Pro. of course, in terms of disk defragmentation hdd,
the main advantage of this program is the high performance and speed defrogmentacji, the program is easy to use.
operates in configure-and-forget and he will do everything.
program is worth our attention and interest him.:)
yh thats good for the hdd but im not sure if i should enable it all for ssd to, i dont think it actually defrags the files on ssd drive it does something else forgot what it said i think its safe but not sure.

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
Unlike HDDs SSD doesn't get affected by fragmentation. Since SSDs have no heads or spinning disks that needs to search and read a particular data on the disk of an HDD all the data on an SSD are simply stored on NAND chips and whatever way one accesses data, performance is more or less the same. Defraging an SSD simply wastes its write cycles and have no benefit to the user in doing so. For an SSD drive to stay in speedy condition one can use the TRIM feature that can be found within most of the SSD control panel. From Windows 8 onward the OS itself fully integrates SSD TRIM feature and will do it automatically needing no user attention.

Reactions: Berny and Ana_Filiz

Viper007

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
May 27, 2014
Unlike HDDs SSD doesn't get affected by fragmentation. Since SSDs have no heads or spinning disks that needs to search and read a particular data on the disk of an HDD all the data on an SSD are simply stored on NAND chips and whatever way one accesses data, performance is more or less the same. Defraging an SSD simply wastes its write cycles and have no benefit to the user in doing so. For an SSD drive to stay in speedy condition one can use the TRIM feature that can be found within most of the SSD control panel. From Windows 8 onward the OS itself fully integrates SSD TRIM feature and will do it automatically needing no user attention.
Yes i have read all this many times before, diskeeper does not defrag an ssd only the hdd, its main thing is to stop fragmented files in the first place it does have a hyperfast feature that supports trim with ssd but its not a defrag if im correct so shouldn't do any hard if im correct i mainly wanted this program for my hdd i kept all options on anyway see how it goes.

Howard Butler

Level 1
Nov 2, 2016
I have used Diskeeper for many years and Diskeeper 16 by far the best and most technically advanced version I have ever seen. Keep in mind that it is no longer your "Grandpa's" defragmenter and it's focus it to enhance the speed and performance of the Windows NTFS files system on both SSD and traditional HDD storage devices. Diskeeper 16 not only prevents NTFS Split IOs (AKA fragmentation) it introduces a new technology called IntelliMemory to further enhance Windows system performance by using available idle/unused system memory to satisfy hot read data request from DRAM. Using this unused resource provides big performance gains, in fact data served from DRAM can be 10x-15x faster than going to SSD. The read only cache is dynamic and will self-adjust to ensure that there is never a memory starvation or resource contention. This means that as memory is needed by other applications or if the available memory drops to a level below a calculated threshold, then Diskeeper will dynamically flush data from its cache to give back to Windows. It is normal to see more of your "free" or available memory to now be in use providing fast data access than you have seen before.

Viper007

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
May 27, 2014
I have used Diskeeper for many years and Diskeeper 16 by far the best and most technically advanced version I have ever seen. Keep in mind that it is no longer your "Grandpa's" defragmenter and it's focus it to enhance the speed and performance of the Windows NTFS files system on both SSD and traditional HDD storage devices. Diskeeper 16 not only prevents NTFS Split IOs (AKA fragmentation) it introduces a new technology called IntelliMemory to further enhance Windows system performance by using available idle/unused system memory to satisfy hot read data request from DRAM. Using this unused resource provides big performance gains, in fact data served from DRAM can be 10x-15x faster than going to SSD. The read only cache is dynamic and will self-adjust to ensure that there is never a memory starvation or resource contention. This means that as memory is needed by other applications or if the available memory drops to a level below a calculated threshold, then Diskeeper will dynamically flush data from its cache to give back to Windows. It is normal to see more of your "free" or available memory to now be in use providing fast data access than you have seen before.
I crashed in gta v when i had the intelimemory enabled, i had like 8gb cache and i guess not enough ram for my gta v and i have 16gb and i play gta v maxed, i wish they had a slider or something so i can chose how much ram the cache can use.

Howard Butler

Level 1
Nov 2, 2016
I do believe there is a way to adjust the maximum amount of memory that IntelliMemory will use for its cache. Have you contacted technical support at Condusiv Technologies? I am sure they can assist you.

Reactions: Terry Ganzi

Columbus J Hinton

Dec 2, 2016
Hi,

Just wanted to ask if anyone here has tried or use diskeeper on ssd drvies? I have 1 m.2 ssd and 1 normal ssd and a normal hdd, i do not defrag ssd ever but i know this program is more of a way to prevent
fragmentation.
I have been using Diskeeper 16 on my computers for several weeks now. I have two desktops, one with "C" as the system and "D" as the secondary drive both 500 GBs Samaung Evo 850 and the other with a generic SSD as the primary and a 1TB HHD. I'm using Diskeeper Home on all of them. After using Perfect Disk for years I removed there latest version PD14 and now using DK16. And it does what is says. In answering your question if I haven't.. I've dropped PD14 for DK16 and belive you'll be impressed with your rig.

nickoftime

Level 2
Verified
Feb 19, 2013
I've used it fairly extensively on a system containing both SSD and HDD's. It does have its merits but in the end, it may cause more trouble than benefit. The Diskeeper service does create a lot of read/writes and I'm not sure if and how this affects the SSD's lifespan, no matter what Condusiv says.

The new HyperMemory feature is good, but can cause (rare) issues for massive data transfers. Make sure you have the best SATA/AHCI driver for your system (check the excellent win-raid.com website).

I've finally removed DK 16, and have one less process/background service to worry about. The SSD can take care of itself (you can control TRIM via Windows, manually or automatically) and I can manually defrag the HDD's once or twice a month. I am sure though that for some systems/users, DK 16 can be beneficial.

A long question please. Do you happy folks recommend using Trim in sync with Diskeeper 16 or would you recommend turning off Trim. I am using Diskeeper 16 with one HD and the main driving being a Samsung 850 SSD. Please type slowly so I might understand. Thank you.
Diskeeper 16 takes control of TRIM from Windows, you can't do anything about it. It takes care of it automatically so you shouldn't worry - although there's no report on when it's being applied.

Reactions: Rolo and Ana_Filiz

randj89

Level 4
Verified
May 7, 2014
I've been using it for years (Diskeeper home and now pro) Now I just did upgrade to version 16 because of the Intellimemory feature and let me tell you... The program really does it job taking care of the trim feature on my SSD but also my internal HDD. I do really recommend this program.

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
If windows defrag doesn't harm your computer then diskeeper should not, if you do some research you will see that both defraggers are from the same manufacturer Diskeeper. I don't know if things has changed, but it is all i used for years, diskeeper provides great results.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
I've used it fairly extensively on a system containing both SSD and HDD's. It does have its merits but in the end, it may cause more trouble than benefit. The Diskeeper service does create a lot of read/writes and I'm not sure if and how this affects the SSD's lifespan, no matter what Condusiv says.

The new HyperMemory feature is good, but can cause (rare) issues for massive data transfers. Make sure you have the best SATA/AHCI driver for your system (check the excellent win-raid.com website).

I've finally removed DK 16, and have one less process/background service to worry about. The SSD can take care of itself (you can control TRIM via Windows, manually or automatically) and I can manually defrag the HDD's once or twice a month. I am sure though that for some systems/users, DK 16 can be beneficial.

Diskeeper 16 takes control of TRIM from Windows, you can't do anything about it. It takes care of it automatically so you shouldn't worry - although there's no report on when it's being applied.

I'm with you on this. I used Diskeeper forever until version 12. It got too hyperactive and replaced one inefficiency with a bigger one. This is before I got an SSD, which obviates software like this (Samsung already bundles software that does what SSDKeeper does and more).

For my platters I still have, I use Windows Task Scheduler with my custom MyDefrag scripts--zero overhead and it only does its thing when I'm sleeping.

For the cost of Diskeeper, just buy better hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.