Last updated
May 2, 2021
How it's used?
For home and private use
Operating system
Windows 10
On-device encryption
Log-in security
    • Biometrics (Windows Hello PIN, TouchID, Face, Iris, Fingerprint)
Security updates
Allow security updates
User Access Control
Always notify
Smart App Control
Network firewall
Real-time security
Kaspersky Total Security 21.3.10.391(b)
Firewall security
About custom security
- Trust group for applications that could not be added to existing groups (Untrusted).
- Trust group for applications started before startup of Kaspersky Total Security (High restricted).
- Trust digitally signed applications (unticked).
- Disabled Anti Banner.
Periodic malware scanners
ADW Cleaner
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Browsers
  • Microsoft Edge
  • Firefox
  • Vivaldi
Extensions
IDM
  • Mendeley
Secure DNS
Cloudflare DNS over HTTPS using Adguard Desktop.
Desktop VPN
BULLETVPN
Password manager
Kaspersky Password Manager.
Maintenance tools
Revo Uninstaller Pro Portable
File and Photo backup
Koofr & Microsoft One Drive
System recovery
AOMEI Backupper Pro
Risk factors
    • Working from home
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Opening email attachments
    • Buying from online stores, entering banks card details
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
Computer specs
  • Acer Aspire ES1-572-586C
  • Intel Core i5-7200U
  • Intel HD graphics 620
  • Adata 8 GBs RAM
  • Adata Ultimate SU630 480 GBs SSD
What I'm looking for?

Looking for maximum feedback.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
@security123 @Gandalf_The_Grey I installed Brave without admin rights, so is this a security risk? I mean what are the possible scenarios I might run into?
Probably nothing.
It's the same when i try to install software on my work laptop where I have no admin rights, it will be installed only for the current user.
So no problem if you are the only user of your system.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I created a local standard account which I use it to run Office and Mendeley and nothing else. I did not want Brave to be installed there. I wonder if I can install Firefox per user too. Thank btw for answering my questions.
You're welcome, always happy if I can help :D
I think you can do that also for Firefox, just deny admin rights.
There are programs that will fail to install without admin rights there you have no choice.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I really love Brave, racked the shields up to max, I no longer use AdGuard for Windows which gives me the the full speed I pay for - Anti-Tracker with IVPN few problems & PC runs great - It ought to be law to use Brave :)

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
I really love Brave, racked the shields up to max, I no longer use AdGuard for Windows which gives me the the full speed I pay for - Anti-Tracker with IVPN few problems & PC runs great - It ought to be law to use Brave :)
Will I am afraid to install Adguard next to AVG as this might some issues and I really do not have time to deal with issues now.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Will I am afraid to install Adguard next to AVG as this might some issues and I really do not have time to deal with issues now.
The issues I've always had with AdGuard for windows is a cut in internet speed that really is it - all But I really like the speed i pay for but that's just me, & Brave shields do a pretty good job as far as I'm concerned - I feel that's just me but not overly convinced AdGuard for Windows does all they say (prepared for flaming)

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
brave://flags
Capture.PNG

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
I installed Brave without admin rights, so is this a security risk? I mean what are the possible scenarios I might run into?

System space (folders of program files, Windows folder.) is protected by UAC, malware haven't easily access to this area of the system, especially if your are using SUA (Standard User Account) instead of admin account.

User space isn't protected by UAC, it's system area like C:\Users\username\AppData\Local there usually the payloads are spawned/dropped by malware.

Conclusion: for security reasons it's always recommended to install your browsers into C:\Program Files

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Changes:

1- Installed Trend Micro Maximum Security
2- Replaced SoftMaker Office Universal NX (I really like it but, unfortunately, it does not suppot RTL languages) with Microsoft Office.
3- Enabled Adguard DNS

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Recent changes:

- Installed Bullguard Internet Security
- Replaced Mendeley with Zotero
- Started using Revo Uninstaller Pro
- Replaced Enpass with Sticky Password.

Sticky Password is working on a "big feature", as they described it and I am wondering what that would be. Anyway, SP now officially supports Brave Browser. I only wish if it has in-built OTP generator. I might start using Authy or FREEOTP. Any thoughts on this?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.