Status
Not open for further replies.
Operating System
Windows Vista
Infection date and initial symptoms
January 21, 2014 the computer was running very slow.
Current issues and symptoms
Computer is still running very slow. I found about 36 copies of dllhost.exe COM Surrogate running at the same time and causing CPU Usage and Physical Memory to fluctuate wildly, at times approaching 100%.
Steps taken in order to remove the infection
None. I ran FRST scan and aswMBR scan. I ran the aswMBR scan twice and both times it caused the computer to shut down and did not produce a log.

TwinHeadedEagle

Removal Expert
Verified
Staff member
Yes, Microsoft Security Essentials is very good antivirus.

If your computer is slow, I cannot help you, today Antivirus products use much more resources, so it is the cause of slowness.

gwrsr

I ran DelFix (log file attached). I am trying to install Charter Security Suite whch is offered by my internet provider but I am unable to download the files to install it. The customer service person at Charter told me something is blocking the downloading of the files and he suspects it is possibly an anti virus/anti malware program that is still on the computer. I have checked the list of software on the computer several times and I don't see anything that looks like an antivirus/anti malware program. Do you have any suggestions how I can identify what is blocking the download? Thanks again for your help!

Attachments

TwinHeadedEagle

Removal Expert
Verified
Staff member
I think you should avoid that antivirus, and try to install any other product. Tell me have you succeded?

leroux

Hi ive got the com surrogate issue as well. I did every step you mentioned in this thread but it didn't fixed my issue and I would like some assistance as well. Feel free to ask me any logs necessary ty

My system is
Toshiba satellite
Windows 8 64-bit
Amd6 Quad-core 2ghz
6gb installed memory

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.