D'Lynn Config

D'Lynn

Thread author
Dec 1, 2015
Please be patient with my simplicity! I am here to learn :)
Our PC gets limited online time, yet we recognize the essential need for protection. I just finished removing DNS Unlocker after following Malware Tips step-by-step instructions on the blog. Zemana anti-malware's deep scan and my removal of AVG was what finally did it. The AVG was even targeted -- pop-ups from DNS Unlocker were appearing on my user interface. . .
Now I am thankful for the Emsi giveaway, and will be using it for our AV.

L

LabZero

Securiry apps are very important, of course and you have a good security setup, you don't play with malware but I see that you just finished cleaning up your infected PC.
So it is important the common sense and a right mind set.:)
Consider using Ccleaner to privacy and system optimization and uBlock Origin Chrome extension.

Reactions: Sr. Normal

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Seems like you have things covered.Thanks for sharing your config :)

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Aside from uBlock extension, Adblock Plus is another option.

In fact, for web browsing needs, you only need one extection: ad blocking.
Forcing https for example is just a quality of life addon.
Passwords: some say use passwords vaults that are encripted etc. I prefer old school: pen and paper.

avast! can offer decent protection, so does AVG and avira, but for avast/avg you will need to configure some stuff. Also, browsing habits.

Many users here will guide you through additional software to secure your system further, but I prefer the simple approach. so dont really have much to add aside from above.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
AVG Free is a good AV, there is no reason to change unless you are been infected which bypassed those threats.

Regarding on backup and recovery category, I suggest to expand more like creating a snapshot using built in from Windows or third party programs like Macrium Reflect or AOIMEI Backupper.

Other than that its a good configuration.

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Excellent config. Simple and effective.

One note on the backups, however:
Aside from backing up to an external HDD, consider these free backup applications for creating full system images to restore the exact state of your system as it was when you backed it up:
OR
You can also use the Windows 7 "Windows Backup" feature for creating system images. Find it here:
Control Panel -> System and Security -> Backup and Restore

Reactions: frogboy

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.