Not open for further replies.

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
I'm not really sure I know how to answer your question directly since I don't get it but what I can say is: if you set a DNS on your router, your wireless devices, including wired devices attached to your router will automatically use the DNS your router uses. There is no need to set them up separately. As for setting a local IP as a DNS (I'd assume it's the IP your router uses which is also used for DHCP), I'm not really sure how that would work or if it could even work. I don't imagine a router has the ability to look up and resolve IP as domain names. If it could, I can't see a reason why DNS companies like OpenDNS exist.

Hope my answer wasn't useless. I'm feeling I'm misunderstanding the question somehow.

Reactions: DeepWeb
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Actually I am confused with the stuffs here.

On my router DNS is set to "Automatic from ISP".
On adapters DNS is set to "Obtain automatically".

But adapter properties - status - details - shows DNS 192.168.2.1?

Reactions: Logethica

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
192.168.2.1 is the gateway of the router. Different routers have different gateways. The gateway is an access point for other networks like the one from your ISP. For my Asus router, my gateway is 192.168.1.1. The DHCP server within the router will assign local IP addresses so all devices can have internet access without interfering with each other while using the same IP from your ISP. An example of a local IP given by your routers DHCP server (depending on your routers gateway - 192.168.2.1 in your case) would look like 192.168.1.58. It would probably be 192.168.2.58 for your network.

Since your DNS is set up automatically, your ISP's DNS is what your using. If you set a manual DNS for you router, you have to enter in primary and secondary DNS server IP's and then all of the devices connected to the router will automatically get that DNS to use without the need to do it manually on each device. Without your router you'd have to manually go into the settings of all devices to set a 3rd party DNS like OpenDNS, Google DNS, etc.

If you set your DNS to your gateway, you'll lose internet access to put it simply.

Reactions: LabZero
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
On my router DNS is set to "Automatic from ISP".
On adapters DNS is set to "Obtain automatically".
So ipconfig /all... under adapters DNS should be ISP DNS, right? But DNS shown is 192.168.2.1?

Even if I use automatic from ISP or manually put ISP or other DNS on router... ipconfig /all shows DNS as 192.168.2.1 under adapters.
And my net doesn't works fine i.e randomly I get page cannot be disaplayed.

For my net to work fine I have to manually enter DNS on adapters too i.e automatic from ISP or manually entering ISP or any other DNS I use on router... I have to manually put the same DNS on adapters too & then only my net works fine.

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Since your adapters obtain DNS automatically like mine do, all that will show is the gateway as it's the one giving you the DNS. If you set a manual DNS (on your computer), it will show exactly what DNS your using.

screenshot_57.png

OpenDNS manually set on a computer will show this with the ipconfig /all command. Even if you set a manually DNS on your router, it will still say the same. Easiest and best way to get your real DNS servers is this site: IP/DNS Detect

This site is actually very useful to make sure your VPN/WebRTC isn't leaking your IP but it's also great for seeing your DNS as VPN (well most of them anyway) will change your DNS to one of their choice to increase security/anonymity.

Reactions: LabZero and frogboy
L

LabZero

Thread author
This IP is a private address in the range of addresses ranging from 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255. Addresses in this range are not unique, they are not-routing private addresses that can be used simultaneously by many users within private networks (LAN). IP's like this, in practice, are not accessible via the Internet (except through the help of a Router with NAT support, but that's another matter).
For example, 192.168.2.1 is the default IP address of Belkin router. This address you use to access the built-in web-based Setup page of the router, which allows you to customize settings and configure advanced properties.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Since your adapters obtain DNS automatically like mine do, all that will show is the gateway as it's the one giving you the DNS. If you set a manual DNS (on your computer), it will show exactly what DNS your using.

screenshot_57.png

OpenDNS manually set on a computer will show this with the ipconfig /all command. Even if you set a manually DNS on your router, it will still say the same. Easiest and best way to get your real DNS servers is this site: IP/DNS Detect

This site is actually very useful to make sure your VPN/WebRTC isn't leaking your IP but it's also great for seeing your DNS as VPN (well most of them anyway) will change your DNS to one of their choice to increase security/anonymity.
So why my net doesn't works fine i.e random page cannot be displayed (if DNS on adapter set to obtain automatically & on router automatic from ISP)?

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
So why my net doesn't works fine i.e random page cannot be displayed (if DNS on adapter set to obtain automatically & on router automatic from ISP)?

It will work fine because your router is set to automatic (getting DNS from ISP which they themselves run) and your computer will get that DNS from the router due to it being on automatically obtain which will allow it to obtain from modem/router depending on what your computer is attached to. In this case, it's the router.

Even if your router has an auto settings, you can still set a manual for your computer and it will use that. Or you can set your router to manual (set your DNS using the IP's of your choice), and keep your computer on auto and it will receive that DNS to use from the router.

Reactions: LabZero and frogboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.