DNSCrypt or SimpleDNSCrypt ?

Myriad

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
DNSCrypt or SimpleDNSCrypt ? .... what is your experience ?

I did a forum search before posting this and found only a few ( indirect ) mentions .

It looks like SimpleDNSCrypt 0.4.2 is actively updated , but DNSCrypt 0.0.6 is showing as last updated July 2013
( Source : MajorGeeks )

Has anybody tried both of these ?

I first looked at this a few months back and read reports of some systems having internet connections
messed up in a way that is difficult to fix ( can't find the references now .... Doh ! )

Any info on pros and cons would be very much appreciated

Thanks folks !

F

ForgottenSeer 19494

I also use Simple DNSCrypt. However it seems that it has problems in the fact I need to manually restart the service in order to have an internet so I've temporary removed it. Reported the issue on GitHub but no reply. Anyone who has experienced this here?

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
I also use Simple DNSCrypt. However it seems that it has problems in the fact I need to manually restart the service in order to have an internet so I've temporary removed it. Reported the issue on GitHub but no reply. Anyone who has experienced this here?
Same here. No connectivity after a restart/reboot. Major annoyance. Uninstalled and will revert to DNScrypt when time allows.

Myriad

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016

Thank you !

That's exactly what I wanted to hear about ..... the borked systems , not the " smooth runnings "

I had a good look at GitHub , and elsewhere , before I started this thread .

So I installed it on a "disposable" W7 rig an hour ago , and when I get time later , I will do my very best to vandalize it :)
If I succeed in breaking it I'll post back here with the details ....

Simple DNSCrypt is just a GUI for DNSCrypt. The publisher updates it on a not-frequent basis.

DNSCrypt itself has issues. For example, sometimes your system will show the black exclamation mark inside the yellow triangle over-top of the network tray icon. If you run the network troubleshooter it will return "Cannot connect to the DNS server." It could be the DNS server you have selected is temporarily having issues or there is something amiss with DNSCrypt itself. For DNSCrypt specific issues they need to be reported on the DNSCrypt GitHub.

BugCode

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 9, 2017
In the past simple guy like me, have using SimpleDnscrypt. Yeah and if i remember right there was an issue after using, it screw up all networkconnection's. So have to manually do changes, so it works again. I have also VPN, so i could call issue was that combine. Well, some cmd ipconfig/flushdns etc command and worked again. Well, i decided uninstall it, no need to use it after all. Thank you.

In the past simple guy like me, have using SimpleDnscrypt. Yeah and if i remember right there was an issue after using, it screw up all networkconnection's. So have to manually do changes, so it works again. I have also VPN, so i could call issue was that combine. Well, some cmd ipconfig/flushdns etc command and worked again. Well, i decided uninstall it, no need to use it after all. Thank you.

The Simple DNSCrypt publisher fixed that -- where uninstalling Simple DNSCrypt did not reset networking settings to default. That was fixed months ago.

Simple DNSCrypt gets blamed for a lot of the problems that are actually due to issues with DNSCrypt itself.

F

ForgottenSeer 19494

Simple DNSCrypt is just a GUI for DNSCrypt. The publisher updates it on a not-frequent basis.

DNSCrypt itself has issues. For example, sometimes your system will show the black exclamation mark inside the yellow triangle over-top of the network tray icon. If you run the network troubleshooter it will return "Cannot connect to the DNS server." It could be the DNS server you have selected is temporarily having issues or there is something amiss with DNSCrypt itself. For DNSCrypt specific issues they need to be reported on the DNSCrypt GitHub.
It can't be because of the server in my case. I use Cisco's OpenDNS servers which are Anycast. I'm not sure if it's due to SimpleDNSCrypt or the other one but the developer of DNSCrypt also looks at Simple's GitHub so we'll see.

Reactions: Deletedmessiah

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Some practices I do when using Simple DNSCrypt

1) Choose resolvers which don't disconnect often. Search the net for this
2) Do NOT enable 'Start when Windows start' for the contest with other programs during start up can cause conflict. Same for VPN. I'll let the system starts up first then enable the VPN and Simple DNSCrypt
3) Before system shuts down disable Simple DNSCrypt and VPN.
4) Security software like Avast Internet Security, Yandex browser and some VPN have this Secure DNS feature which can clash with Simple DNSCrypt. Disable Simple DNSCrypt here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Muppet and ZeroDay

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I loved DNSCrypt. But ultimately had to uninstall it because of a strange issue and I want to know if anyone else experiences this.

If you use DNSCrypt for a very long time, it will simply stop running after a while. I created a scheduled task to restart dnscrypt-proxy whenever it happens. But it's nonetheless frustrating. I never got to the bottom of it and gave up.
:(

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
is there any alternative for DNS crypt? I mean a new one, not an old one.
if I encrypt my internet connections with smth like this:
tcpcrypt - Home
still I need DNS crypt or similar tools?

Last edited:
Reactions: DeepWeb

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Reactions: Sunshine-boy

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
is there any alternative for DNS crypt? I mean a new one, not an old one.
if I encrypt my internet connections with smth like this:
tcpcrypt - Home
still I need DNS crypt or similar tools?
Quote from the link

Tcpcrypt is opportunistic encryption. If the other end speaks Tcpcrypt, then your traffic will be encrypted; otherwise it will be in clear text. Thus, Tcpcrypt alone provides no guarantees—it is best effort. If, however, a Tcpcrypt connection is successful and any attackers that exist are passive, then Tcpcrypt guarantees privacy.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.