Troubleshoot Do android phones become unsupported

carl fish

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Mar 6, 2012
Hi, I have a question about Android, do android phones become unsupported after a number of years requiring you to buy a new phone the same way Iphones do, and can you continue to receive updates for your phones operating system without needing to buy a new phone?

Reactions: upnorth

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
The problem is the fragmentation.
The distribution of Android versions is not uniform on all devices, because many models are not updated, and then stuck with a Android dated version.
This situation has become increasingly evident, and it has generated many security problems, leaving the older devices exposed to potential vulnerabilities.

I use an old Samsung S3 that doesn't get updates for years now.

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Short answer, Yes.

Visit your mobile operator and manufacturers' website to see support and updates information for your Android smartphone.

Running an unsupported Android devices, doesn't mean you should upgrade every 1, 2 or 3 years, but the reasons are explained above as to why you might want to.

Not easy to understand, but you can browse here: Android Compatibility Definition Document | Android Open Source Project
Welcome to the Android Compatibility Definition Document (CDD). This document enumerates the requirements that must be met in order for devices to be compatible with the latest version of Android. To be considered compatible with Android, device implementations MUST meet the requirements presented in this Compatibility Definition, including any documents incorporated via reference. For each release of the Android platform, a detailed CDD will be provided.

Upvote 0

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
I have 3 Android devices that are outdated because the hardware manufacturers refuse to push out Google updates. The most current one I have runs Android 4.4, with no hope of updates from the manufacturer or the carrier. I guess they would rather sell a new device...

If support was an issue, I would consider going with the Google Pixel, since they can provide updates directly to the carriers.

Update: Verizon says its Pixels will get updates at the same time as Google’s

"First and foremost, all operating system and security updates to the Pixel devices will happen in partnership with Google. In other words, when Google releases an update, Verizon phones will receive the same update at the same time (much like iOS updates). Verizon will not stand in the way of any major updates and users will get all updates at the same time as Google.

Reactions: roger_m
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.