App Review Do Antiviruses Still Slow You Down? (2020) (LTT)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

The Ordynary

Level 3
Apr 26, 2020
currently my favorites are kaspersky and norton, but norton is much lighter, and has basically the same level of protection, I even think it is lighter than ESET,

The problem with performance tests like that, is that I often find my own experience with antiviruses is very different to the test results. For example, the test indicates that Kaspersky is lighter than Norton, while based on my own usage, Norton is definitely noticably lighter. As always, the only real way to get an accurate idea of performance is to install antiviruses and see how they perform on your own computers.

I agree about Linus making a big deal out of fairly minor increases in transfer speeds.
perfect comment, I have the same impression, bitdefender always performs well in performance, but I think it’s extremely heavy, kaspersky is also heavy if you don’t have a pc at least reasonable you will feel the impact, norton is extremely light,

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
What I don't like about KIS is its firewall, Mikrotik routers have a builtin bandwidth test server where you can connect from your computer and check the max speed of your local WIFI link. With KIS it was always on 220mbps with some 300mbps spikes, using WD it gives me results between 410-450mbps.

Edit: screenshot
1589732384844.png

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
What I don't like about KIS is its firewall, Mikrotik routers have a builtin bandwidth test server where you can connect from your computer and check the max speed of your local WIFI link. With KIS it was always on 220mbps with some 300mbps spikes, using WD it gives me results between 410-450mbps.

View attachment 240176
Can you compare it with SEP unmanaged default ?

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019

View attachment 240176
Try checking once with KSC free?

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
How did You perform the speed test? via a test site or better downloading a full Linux iso image for example of Ubuntu?
using Mikrotik btest over 5ghz wifi, my speed is 75mbps so its unaffected but I've already read people in Kaspersky/BD forums saying that they can't achieve gigabit speeds with firewall turned on.

fabiobr

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019

View attachment 240176
Yes! Same thing here with the Kaspersky firewall.

Only didn't get slowdowns with Norton and ESET firewalls.

fabiobr

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
using Mikrotik btest over 5ghz wifi, my speed is 75mbps so its unaffected but I've already read people in Kaspersky/BD forums saying that they can't achieve gigabit speeds with firewall turned on.
I noticed some deep Internet slowdowns days ago with Kaspersky, but I think my Internet got better and everything is working fine now. I've been using Kaspersky for a long time and never had that.

But very slow Internet + Kaspersky Firewall/Web protection is not a good option for gamers PCs. With fast Internet you can't feel anything, since I only noticed for now.

But I keep going back to Kaspersky always, only feel protected with it.

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
I noticed some deep Internet slowdowns days ago with Kaspersky, but I think my Internet got better and everything is working fine now. I've been using Kaspersky for a long time and never had that.

But very slow Internet + Kaspersky Firewall/Web protection is not a good option for gamers PCs. With fast Internet you can't feel anything, since I only noticed for now.

But I keep going back to Kaspersky always, only feel protected with it.
Kaspersky offers a really good protection with low FPs out of the box, so IMO it's actually worth to sacrifice your max internet speed in change of protection.

Local system impact is unnoticeable for me after doing a full scan.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.