App Review Do Antiviruses Still Slow You Down? (2020) (LTT)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Back from a little hiatus!:)

IMO any program that takes up system resources will have an impact on the system. The real question however, is whether said impact is noticeable? The problem with Windows is the infinite number of hardware/software combinations available, which makes it difficult to get an accurate assessment. Looking at the responses here and in other threads, you will notice that all security programs will have varied results when it comes to performance. Some say they find Kaspersky light, others says it's heavy, same goes for Norton, WD, BD, etc.... Even tests from the likes of AV-Comparatives aren't overly accurate either. Again its just a quick snapshot in time and doesn't take into account what the overall impact will be long term.

All in all I think they best solution for anyone is to try the program(s) and see for yourself. After all it doesn't matter what any of us, or AV-comparatvies, etc... say, all that matters is whether YOU notice the impact. As I said above, everyone will have different hardware/software configurations and everyone uses their computers differently, so take advantage of the trials and go from there, it really is the only way to know for sure.(y):emoji_beer:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Back from a little hiatus!:)

IMO any program that takes up system resources will have an impact on the system. The real question however, is whether said impact is noticeable? The problem with Windows is the infinite number of hardware/software combinations available, which makes it difficult to get an accurate assessment. Looking at the responses here and in other threads, you will notice that all security programs will have varied results when it comes to performance. Some say they find Kaspersky light, others says it's heavy, same goes for Norton, WD, BD, etc.... Even tests from the likes of AV-Comparatives aren't overly accurate either. Again its just a quick snapshot in time and doesn't take into account what the overall impact will be long term.

All in all I think they best solution for anyone is to try the program(s) and see for yourself. After all it doesn't matter what any of us, or AV-comparatvies, etc... say, all that matters is whether YOU notice the impact. As I said above, everyone will have different hardware/software configurations and everyone uses their computers differently, so take advantage of the trials and go from there, it really is the only way to know for sure.(y):emoji_beer:
Welcome back!

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Even tests from the likes of AV-Comparatives aren't overly accurate either.
The tests were performed on a machine with an Intel Core i3 CPU, 4GB of RAM and SSD hard disks. We consider this machine configuration as “low-end”.
My 5 years old laptop is worse off than this low-end computer and from comments of common people (not gamers), most do not even have SSD and are lucky to have 4GB. Not to mention, that many are upgrading from 7 to 10, so they are already hit hard from the performance impact of that alone.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
@roger_m

An SSD would be the first thing i would buy for my old machine. But the problem is that, they are hella expensive at where i live, as like all other electronic parts.
Same unfortunately had to buy an SSD today .
Wanted to cheap out on a hardrive for gaming and buy an SSD overseas and use it as cache .
Unfortunately the store had only expansive SSD for sale no hard drives :( rip my dear wallet.

L

Local Host

Laptops seem to benefit far more than desktops when upgraded with a SSD due to the tiny size of the laptops mechanical drive. That's my experience anyway.
HDDs and SSDs have exactly the same size for laptops, 2.5, else you wouldn't be able to replace one with the other.

The benefic of having SSDs in laptops, is due to the fact the laptops move around a lot, and HDDs are sensible to hard movement.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.