Do Firewall's require an update like Anti Virus?

grrr

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jun 17, 2011
Hello,
I have a noob question whether Firewall's require an update just like Anti Virus.
The reason I ask because I'm still using Outpost Firewall, so am I at risk?

Thanks,
Grr

Flengo

Level 2
Verified
Oct 19, 2017
A traditional firewall - the Firewall in Win7+ would be a good example - would mostly only need updates for bugs and user experience design changes; however, software such as Comodo Firewall which does a lot more advanced things within the system would need updates for a lot more of their components.

Upvote 0

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Depending on how the firewall software is designed to work, it might require some updates here and there.

Example: even after Sygate being bought by Symantec, I still used Sygate Personal Firewall (no further updates were available) until OS didn't support anymore and it worked fine.

Same with Kerio/Sunbelt Firewall.

Upvote 0

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Hello,
I have a noob question whether Firewall's require an update just like Anti Virus.
The reason I ask because I'm still using Outpost Firewall, so am I at risk?

Thanks,
Grr
yeah, your at risk ;)
A little clearer for you, the OS firewall may not need any and if it does you may never notice it as it can be bundled as
a "maintenance" update ect.
As this fella mentioned up there, if your Firewall is a 3rd party "software" then of course the publishers will release or
initiate a update to keep the software current, and or fix bugs and programming errors.
Good luck on what to choose next, keep us informed OP. PeAcE

Upvote 0

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Well, it uses no signatures, so if by "updates like an antivirus" you refer to signatures, then no, it doesn't need updates.

Aforementioned, developers may publish new versions or fix bugs, so the software itself may need updates sometimes.

Upvote 0

grrr

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jun 17, 2011
thanks everyone for posting their opinion and suggestions.

I will be using Outpost Firewall on WIndows7, the last supported OS by Outpost, I think it should work fine.
But in any case once I'm able to install and activate it (dunno how), will get back here to update.

Reactions: Weebarra
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.