Votes: 14 28.6%

• Total voters

Darlene

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 14, 2015
Is it worth paying extra for a build in firewall component in antivirus software, like for example buying Bitdefender Internet security instead of Bitdefender Antivirus?

Does paid or free third-party firewall software have an extra security advantage in comparison with windows firewall?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Currently using Avast Firewall, but Windows Firewall (default) or Windows Firewall with Advanced Security can be configured manually for finer control - requires time.
In general, if you're not looking for an "Advanced Firewall", then Windows Firewall is sufficient for every day use. You may want to consider a third-party Firewall if you're on Public WiFi.

There are Free and Paid third-party software which come with pro-active security (ie. IPS/HIPS).

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I use Windows Firewall Control to maximize Windows Firewall's protection. Paid $10 for a lifetime license to have notifications. I'm happy with it.

Wether you need an advanced firewall or not depends on many things. Aforementioned, you may want to use one when you do not feel comfortable on the network you're in. (and maybe a VPN as well)

If you're a home user, and do not want notifications, and you're not a happy clicker, i'd say stick with Windows Firewall. Not intrusive, efficient, and free.

I'd migrate to a third-party firewall if:

• You wish to have control over what happens on your system
  • You want to get notified about every software willing to connect to internet
  • You don't really know what you're doing online (set on automatic)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Is it worth paying extra for a build in firewall component in antivirus software, like for example buying Bitdefender Internet security instead of Bitdefender Antivirus?

Does paid or free third-party firewall software have an extra security advantage in comparison with windows firewall?
1 You get more than just a firewall, if you buy the internet security suite. You get better behavior blocking, as well.

2 If you are at home, using your own router, or on other secure networks, you don't need a fancy firewall. Windows firewall is fine.
If you connect to risky public networks, then a 3rd party firewall is something to consider.

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
Very informative answers here, thank you guys for your input on what seems like a basic question to the more knowledgeable user, these things really help people like me to understand a bit more.

lab34

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2017
I think the Windows Firewall is the best option if you don't need outbound alert.

If you need outbound alert, you can control the Windows Firewall, with... "Windows Firewall Control" :) from Binisoft, or Windows 10 Firewall Control of Sphinx. (but the free version doesn't monitor system apps, and the paid is more expensive than the binisoft one)

Reactions: Darlene and AtlBo

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
An Outbound alerting firewall should be mandatory for any on MT. You can have stuff like ransomware that needs to connect to Command prior to encrypting (less usual recently) or any sort of info-stealer (Miners, keyloggers, bankers) that MUST connect to Command in order to send out the looted data.

If one of the above malware are true zero days and not detected by your primary security application a third party FW with outbound alerts could save you. Windows Firewall will most definitely not.

Please believe me guys! I don't want to see anyone hurt.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014

ESET for example could not block wannacry executed from the desktop but did block via the firewall the advance of wannacry through networks. Maybe this helps illustrate how the best firewalls of security packages can help. Some of them have very good port monitoring and provide alerts to unusual contact attempts and then good information on remote IPs and so on.

I think the firewall is worth an extra expense in the cases of the best security package programs, but then it likely will require some investigation to determine which of them are sophisticated enough to pay extra to have. Not sure in the specific case of the Bitdefender firewall, but this question has been on my mind for some time about BD.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

Windows FW here , used only with Public profile, inbound/outbound connections are blocked in all profiles, rules for apps/softs are made on the fly by myself.

Reactions: AtlBo

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.