New Update Chrome strengthens security on Windows: Network Service gets its own sandbox

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Google is taking Chrome security to the next level on Windows by adding an extra layer of protection to the Network Service. This crucial background process, responsible for all your internet connections in Chrome, will be placed in a special sandbox environment.

This isolation aims to prevent harmful third-party code from tampering with the service, potentially enhancing your browsing security. Google is planning to introduce this security enhancement to the public with Chrome 122.

What is Network Service and what does it do?

The Network Service is an important background process that handles network connections and data in Chrome. It works tirelessly behind the scenes to:
  • Download website content like text, images, and videos.
  • Establish and maintain connections to websites you visit.
  • Handle data transfers smoothly and efficiently.
  • Perform various network-related tasks.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I hope it will work in Edge, when I enable Network Service sandbox, I am automatically logged out everywhere, as if first party cookies are blocked. Once disabled, I am logged in without logging in.

Attachments

• capture_02022024_171750.jpg
    capture_02022024_171750.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 46

LennyFox

Level 7
Jan 18, 2024
@TairikuOkami

I had problems on Chrome logging in, because Chrome kept blocking third-party cookies (I had the pleasure of belonging to the 1% being selected for that experiment). After allowing all coolies, this problem disappeared.

Now watching Africa cup on laptop with below settings on Chrome

1706907393021.png

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.