Advice Request Do I Need an Anti-Malware?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

pithlyx

Thread author
Apr 6, 2024
I try to be security forward as much as i can but sometimes the download button was for `randomfile23_425_316243_6426141326_135135134_15313.exe` and not `usefulTool.exe` or sometimes the useful tool just feels off and makes me worry about my computer ... or the developer's mental state, but I'm not a therapist so I cant do anything about the ladder.

I see from a lot of people that with good browsing habits you really only need windows defender, which knowing what I know is mostly true. That being said if i did want a small extra layer of protection or at least detection for either harmful files or potential viruses/malware already on my computer.

I don't want anything too intrusive with pop ups and the like (looking at you avg)
If its a one time purchase then I will look into it (but free keeps the bills payed on time)
Not resource intensive (again avg you are killing me and my pc)

Or am i still just overthinking it and fearing the monsters under my cpu?

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
It's always a good idea to have an extra layer of protection, especially if you're frequently downloading files. There are many anti-malware options that are lightweight, unintrusive, and either free or one-time purchase. Malwarebytes is a popular choice that fits your criteria. However, remember that no software can replace good browsing habits and vigilance.

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
Not a tool but: How to Make Windows Show File Extensions So you see that bill.pdf.exe isn't a bill
Maybe consider changing your DNS server. ZERO — Hardened security for highly sensitive environments. (it may break not legit streaming sites thanks to blocking newly registered domains). Benefits of the DNS listed at bottom of the page.
If you doubt the file wait 3 days before installing and upload it to virustotal then. Most AV vendors would picked up on it then.
Use Norton Power Eraser as a second opinion scanner to check if your pc is clean (it's free and only scanning when you tell it to so no two AV running at the same time).

A good hassle free starting tool: Configure Defender on "High" like South Park already mentioned.

Mar 10, 2024
I try to be security forward as much as i can but sometimes the download button was for `randomfile23_425_316243_6426141326_135135134_15313.exe` and not `usefulTool.exe` or sometimes the useful tool just feels off and makes me worry about my computer ... or the developer's mental state, but I'm not a therapist so I cant do anything about the ladder.

I see from a lot of people that with good browsing habits you really only need windows defender, which knowing what I know is mostly true. That being said if i did want a small extra layer of protection or at least detection for either harmful files or potential viruses/malware already on my computer.

I don't want anything too intrusive with pop ups and the like (looking at you avg)
If its a one time purchase then I will look into it (but free keeps the bills payed on time)

Before executing "`randomfile23_425_316243_6426141326_135135134_15313.exe`" go to VirusTotal and upload the file and scan it. This is part of those "habits" is to verify before doing, you can also copy/paste websites/urls and scan as well.

Azazel

Level 5
Jun 15, 2023

I recommend:
Kaspersky Free
Windows Hybrid Hardening

and you are good to go.

Also create a security setup thread to get more help and feedback.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Im not sure what you have that allows you to "hear" members voices in bots response, but I think I might just want one of those lol.
Hahaha. Early on posts by Bot read exactly like some specific members. It’s less so now, but if you read the forums regularly you could write its answers and tone yourself quite easily.

Victor M

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Oct 3, 2022
If you download and try out a lot of software frequently, then it is worth it to get a third party AV. The thing you are getting is better detection. And the time you need it the most is when you are not paying attention or in a hurry. People make mistakes, deviate from safe habits. Also, it is not only malware detection that you need, but also phishing detection. Windows Defender is not bad, it got good detection score at AV-Comparatives tests recently. But third party AV's are aiming to out-do Defender, so they should offer better than Defender protection. Another way of looking it is to treat it as insurance, it covers your butt.

@Azazel recommended Kaspersky Free above. I second that. And Kaspersky is a popular choice here at MT. The free version is said to offer the same detection capabilities as the paid versions.

AVG, which you found annoying, also got a good detection score on that test.

Last edited:

monkeylove

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
You're not overthinking because more malware is coming from legit apps and sites, with some attacking the embedded software.

Given that, for no popups, consider Avast free (not Avast One) with gaming mode, do not disturb, etc., on, and Firefox browser with uBlock Origin in default mode plus multi-account containers.

You can exclude the non-essential modules in Avast when installing it. For uBlock Origin, you can enable more features to prevent annoyances in various sites.

If you want something lighter and with a popup every month or so, Kaspersky free.

jerzy601

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
It's always worth having a second safeguard.
Personally, I use the Hard _Configurator and Configurator Defender system antivirus configuration tools and I have no problems.
I'm not paranoid about too many safeguards.
you can also use system antivirus and WHHlight.

Reactions: vtqhtr413
Mar 10, 2024
need help chromebook ¨hacked¨
You should create a separate thread, in it you should detail, what you were doing, the symptoms you experienced that lead you to believe you were hacked. I state this because Chromebooks have been available for over 10 years now. There has not been a single case of a user's Chromebook getting infected with a virus, or being hacked. A user can find themselves with an issue if they install malicious apps, get hit by phishing scams, use unsafe online habits, or install malicious extensions. Its highly unlikely your Chromebook is hacked is what I'm trying to convey and more then likely one of the other issues I stated.

If it is hacked though, you should report it to Google, I hear they pay well to see how that happened.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.