Advice Request Do I Need an Anti-Malware?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

JordanMason8

Feb 19, 2022
Or am i still just overthinking it and fearing the monsters under my cpu?
In my opinion, other measures are more important, like applying security baselines und using application control (preferably WDAC). The latter will also hinder accidentally running something, like clicking on an executable covering as a different file type or malware dropping a payload on disk and running it, at the expense of more maintenance and less flexibility. You can make Windows Defender have better detection rates by using Cloud Protection, Automatic Sample Submission and Block On First Sight, at the expense of giving a lot of data to Microsoft. And you can upload every executable you download to Virustotal for multi-AV checks, or use winget to install and update software which has additional checks in place and barely any downsides.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.