Advice Request Do I need browser extensions with Sandboxie?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I'm not using SB and I'm thinking of getting it. Just a few questions.

a) If I have 15 extensions and having SB do I still need the same number of extensions? If not, then what minimum extensions do I need or no extension is required if I have SB?
b) Does SB protects my privacy data from being siphoned off like preventing fingerprints at work?
c) Can I carry out financial transactions over the net within SB or do I need to come out of SB to do that?
d) Extensions require updating like the filters of uBlock Origin etc. Do I need to exit SB to perform the updates?
e) Is it true that AV/AM software will only work if the files are saved and ran outside of the sandbox? Will the AV/AM work if the file is executed within SB i.e. downloaded and ran within SB
f) If I need to update a software I need to exit SB to do, right?

Thanks

Last edited:
P

plat1098

Sandboxie - Frequently Asked Questions

Sandboxie - Known Conflicts

May not cover every question you have. There's a forum there. I currently run version 521-7 beta, which works flawlessly so far on Fall CU w/Internet Explorer, HitmanPro Alert and one extension--AdBlock Plus. All financial transactions I do inside the sandbox and the contents deleted when session is closed. Since I d/l and install security software specifically outside the sandbox, they would be updated outside the box anyway. :)

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Sandboxie - Frequently Asked Questions

Sandboxie - Known Conflicts

May not cover every question you have. There's a forum there. I currently run version 521-7 beta, which works flawlessly so far on Fall CU w/Internet Explorer, HitmanPro Alert and one extension--AdBlock Plus. All financial transactions I do inside the sandbox and the contents deleted when session is closed. Since I d/l and install security software specifically outside the sandbox, they would be updated outside the box anyway. :)
So you answered my questions c) and f)

Thanks

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
It depends a lot on how you configure SBIE. For instance, you can deny read permission to certain folders, and then you won't have to worry about data theft from those locations.
I am not an expert but I think that many of your questions do not have a blanket "Yes or No" answer.

D

Deleted member 178

a) If I have 15 extensions and having SB do I still need the same number of extensions? If not, then what minimum extensions do I need or no extension is required if I have SB?
SBie doesn't count extensions, it is not ReHIPS ^^

b) Does SBie protects my privacy data from being siphoned off like preventing fingerprints at work?
Nope, it just isolate the browser/app/folder; it doesn't involve in privacy; by default settings even a keylogger downloaded and ran inside Sbie will transmit datas to the attacker (unless the settings are tweaked to prevent so)

c) Can I carry out financial transactions over the net within SB or do I need to come out of SB to do that?
You can, same as a regular browser.

d) Extensions require updating like the filters of uBlock Origin etc. Do I need to exit SB to perform the updates?
I use Chrome with sync ON, so whatever i do extension will be updated inside. If you don't use sync, sandboxie will replicate what is done outside, for example if you open a page on real system , close the page and then run Sbie, the page will be opened in Sbie too.

e) Is it true that AV/AM software will only work if the files are saved and ran outside of the sandbox? Will the AV/AM work if the file is executed within SB i.e. downloaded and ran within SB
They should scan, i never got any malware to get AVs scan inside SBie though.

If I need to update a software I need to exit SB to do, right?
It Is what i do. But you can do it inside Sbie too, depend on the settings.

SBie is just a sandbox, it isolate everything ran inside, it doesn't have Application Control like ReHIPS, so all you do with downloaded files is on your responsibility.

I use it since years, never get real major issues with, it just "annoyed" me sometimes.

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
A) Kinda stupid question not matter how much extensions you use its deppen what they do.
B) Browser fingerprints - will be stored till you clean/delete files from sandbox, btw sandboxie dont mask your browser its only izolator you will other soft like VPN to mask IP, Computer etc.
C)Dunno how answer on it... if your pc is infected in system behind sandbox runing infected program in sandbox dont change anything
BUT !!! if you browse some xxx site and than got infection and it not bypass sandboxie, after clean container you should back to clean status and safely browse once again.
D) Yes and no.. If you exlude specific files where adblock storage filters for specific counteiner/program process in advanced menu. Than you dont must start browser behind sandboxie for take changes.
Sandboxie - Resource Access Settings
E) AV is instaled inside system not sandbox so should take action even if malware are inside sandbox but some softare can be incompatibilia but im not sure with it at all.

F) Its depend on your style usage of Sandboxie
1) Instal Browser behind Sandboxie and than runing it for future izolate next new incomming files etc than you must update behind sandboxie for keep changes.
2) If you wanna instal software fully/totaly inside sandboxe for test it and you dont wanna affect myself system by instaling and using this softare than you must update it in sandbox.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014

b) Does SB protects my privacy data from being siphoned off like preventing fingerprints at work?
f) If I need to update a software I need to exit SB to do, right?

Thanks
Do you plan to use paid version or free?
With the paid version you can do much more, for example, prevent keyloggers or another application (except required) from running in the sandbox. You can also prevent applications in the sandbox to read/write files located into chosen folders/disks. With Sandboxie, you can configure the sandbox to be anti-exploit, anti-keylogger, anti-exe, and privacy protection for programs which are going to run in that sandbox.
You can safely restrict the sandbox in a way, that would make Windows completely unusable, if the restrictions were system-wide.

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
For example. You installed VLC to watch films. The recommended sandbox restrictions:
  1. No internet connection.
  2. Every instance of vlc.exe is automatically sandboxed.
  3. Only vlc.exe can run in the sandbox and only as standard user.
  4. VLC can read files only from C:\Windows, VLC folders, and Film folder.
  5. VLC can write files only to VLC folders.
  6. VLC cannot have access to memory of applications running outside the Sandboxie sandbox.
:)(y)

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I also can recommend the ssj100's Security Setup.
But, you do not need the points 11-16.
The point 11 is obvious, the virtual machine is more recommended.
The points 12-13 prevented AutoRun feature (not needed from Vista SP2).
11. This step is obviously optional: have one sandbox to test applications/malware in (the DefaultBox will do) where the only configurations are to enable automatically delete and block file access to any areas of your computer containing sensitive information (eg. “My Documents”).
12. Create separate sandboxes for each USB/external drive hardware you have connected (or would connect) to your computer. Force run the relevant drive letter to run in the relevant sandbox. Other configurations/restrictions may be applied here (see above).
13. Create separate sandbox(es) for your CD/DVD drive(s). Force run the relevant drive letter to run in the relevant sandbox. Other configurations/restrictions may be applied here (see above).
14. Create a separate sandbox for your Virtual Machine program. Other configurations/restrictions may be applied here (see above).
15. Create a separate sandbox for opening newly introduced files (with a sandboxed explorer.exe) on your REAL system. For easy access, you will also need to create a shortcut to this sandbox and place this shortcut appropriately. Configure this sandbox to automatically delete on closing. Please click here for more information about this step.
16. This step is only necessary if you're using SRP to block cmd.exe (see above):
Make a copy of cmd.exe and rename it (eg. cmd1234.exe). Change the Sandboxie Delete Command accordingly in each sandbox to:
%SystemRoot%\System32\cmd1234.exe /c RMDIR /s /q "%SANDBOX%"

Last edited:

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
1-What are the differences between Q360 sandbox and Sandboxie?
2-which one is better? and why?
Rehips sandbox seems stronger but cant runs every software isolated and hard to config(because the settings are too complicated).

D

Deleted member 178

@Sunshine-boy i never used Qihoo one, because i have all i need with Sandboxie or ReHIPS, sandboxie paid version and ReHIPS as well allows any number of dedicated sandbox has lot of setting to play with which make them very customizable and tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.