Battle Do one-product opinions help your decision?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alkajak

Thread author
I genuinely want to know, because there are so many posts that just give the opinion on one of the products, if one-product opinions actually help you in your decision.

For example, you make a thread for A vs. B.
75% of the posts are "A is better because..." or "B is better because...".
Only 25% of the posts actually state "A is better than B because..." or vise-versa.

Poll:
Yes - It helps your decision when someone simply states a positive about A and nothing about B.
No - It does not help your decision because nothing about B is mentioned.

This is an open forum for feedback. It makes me feel bad when I have to delete 5/7 posts because they are one-sided. Really think about this, if you were the one making the thread, how would you want people to post in it?

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
First off (JMHO)
If someone has knowledge of only one of the products in question, your telling them to shut up and not post by deleting their post.
There will be those that post on product "A" only as well as those that post on product "B" only based on their experience of that perticular product.
Lets say Jane posts on only Product "A" and BOB posts only on Product "B" your deleting those posts and there went the comparison right there lol
Deleting because a user only posts on a single product is a very flawed manner of editing. And discourages participation. But hey, it's the staff's call in the end.
Nice post Alkajack.
PeAcE

Last edited:
A

Alkajak

Thread author
What if Jane only posted on A because they haven't tried B, and Bob only chose B because they haven't tried A? Then both posts are on the basis of nothing.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_
I

illumination

Thread author
First off (JMHO)
If someone has knowledge of only one of the products in question, your telling them to shut up and not post by deleting their post.
There will be those that post on product "A" only as well as those that post on product "B" only based on their experience of that perticular product.
Lets say Jane posts on only Product "A" and BOB posts only on Product "B" your deleting those posts and there went the comparison right there lol
Deleting because a user only posts on a single product is a very flawed manner of editing. And discourages participation. But hey, it's the staff's call in the end.
Nice post Alkajack.
PeAcE
That would be two different users on two different systems giving two different opinions. What is looked for here, is a user that has had experience with both products, and why one would not work as well as the other for them when it comes to A vs B threads. This would include right down to their very system with both products.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I understand that, and users with experience with only "one" of the products no matter how extensive would avoid the thread for fear of having their input expunged.
Finding users with extensive experience with both products is going to force the moderator the shape the conversation, and many times in a manner that degrades its content, even though one might feel it keeps it sharply focused. Experienced moderators will get where I am coming from.
I have moderated a few gaming sites throughout the years and this topic believe it or not is one that has come up on more than one occasion with threads doing side by side comparisons of games, as well as game related software, but i digress.

This is an open forum for feedback. It makes me feel bad when I have to delete 5/7 posts because they are one-sided.

And I fully understand where Alkajack is coming from
PeAcE

Reactions: illumination
A

Alkajak

Thread author
If Jan is a extensive user of A, and Bob an extensive user of B, they both will have valuable input on each product that can be used to make an informed decision on which is best, even though they each have experience with only one individual product.

I liked your other post more. Less bloat. This is a somewhat flawed, but overall good point. I will keep this in mind.

The flaw, in case you're wondering, is that those kind of posts might as well belong in a thread called "I like/use A". In a thread called "A vs. B", it defeats the purpose of even having a versus.

I

illumination

Thread author
I understand that, and users with experience with only "one" of the products no matter how extensive would avoid the thread for fear of having their input expunged.
Users that have not used one of the products in A vs B really should not apply to one of these type threads. If I see a A vs B thread, and I have not used one of the products in the line up, I will not respond, as I have no idea what the other product is like, especially compared to the one I know. I will not know if it will work better for me, if it is less buggier then the one I'm using, if my system would agree with it better, or my security would not have issues with it, ect.

Do not get me wrong, I see the dilemma here as how you have this stated, but I also understand what the staff are looking for in these type of threads, and that is to increase the quality of the responses.

Finding users with extensive experience with both products is going to force the moderator the shape the conversation, and many times in a manner that degrades its content, even though one might feel it keeps it sharply focused. Experienced moderators will get where I am coming from.
I fully get where you are coming from here. Sometimes with Moderation one can not give in and bend, and stick to the implemented policy regardless of how many times they have to do this, until users just get to a point of understanding. Most of the Users here at MT are software enthusiast, hence why they are here, many of them have used multiple products of the same category, and would be able to give advice concerning A vs B. This should also encourage users to try other products themselves, to see the comparison, they may be using a product from not knowing any better, when the next one would actually suite them better..

Do understand that Moderators are under no obligation to engage a thread like this giving the users a chance to provide feedback of why they think it should be different. They can just enforce the policy which in the end, will not be as frustrating as arguing the same points over and over with users.

Last edited by a moderator:
N

Noxx

Thread author
I have no problem with one-product opinions, particularly if they're detailed and not just "oh yeah, it's good and stuff, recommended". However, I would give more credence to somebody who gave detailed explanations of why A is better than B (at least to their standards). Not exactly sure how I'm supposed to vote based off that reality.

A

Alkajak

Thread author
I have no problem with one-product opinions, particularly if they're detailed and not just "oh yeah, it's good and stuff, recommended".

There we go. Now we're getting constructive. This is a good compromise. If the post took effort and outlines one product well, I can see that being more effective than not. No nonsense posts like the latter, though.

A

Alkajak

Thread author
Poll is tilting more on the "No" side.

"Preferred ______" and "Best ______" threads that have a poll with the multiple choices including "Other" will allow one-product opinions, however a comparison post is still encouraged.

"A vs. B" threads will require a comparison between A and B.

Thanks for the feedback, all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.