Do password managers stop keyloggers ?

jetman

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
My question is whether using a password manager would prevent a keylogger from stealing passwords.

I thought that as a password manager pastes the passwords directly into your browser then it wouldn't give much chance for a keylogger to record keystrokes or copy things from the system memory.

Any thoughts about this ?

Thanks.

Reactions: SHvFl and shmu26

jetman

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
Thanks guys-
I have sticky password- does that do the same job ?

Reactions: SHvFl

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
My question is whether using a password manager would prevent a keylogger from stealing passwords.

I thought that as a password manager pastes the passwords directly into your browser then it wouldn't give much chance for a keylogger to record keystrokes or copy things from the system memory.

Thanks.
The idea is there, but if the keylogger is able to steal clipboard information then it would render your method useless too

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
What about lastpass and keyloggers?

Thanks.

When dealing with a pure keylogger, it cannot log what isn't typed. Password managers fill forms so there is no keystrokes. No typing is part of the rationale for virtual keyboards of various types. The answer is yes against a pure keylogger.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
See my answer immediately above.
Problem is with financial sites, where careful users have their password manager set up to prompt for master password. So I guess we are back in the hands of the keyloggers, at that point.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Problem is with financial sites, where careful users have their password manager set up to prompt for master password. So I guess we are back in the hands of the keyloggers, at that point.
2 step authentication and who cares if they steal your master password. I can pm you my password but it has no use to you because you would need to step my authenticator first in order to get in. So the scenario that they get your master password is still not as scary as them getting your passwords. It has almost 0 downside especially considering that you will get an alert and change your password if you have an ounce of brain.

Reactions: frogboy and shmu26

It requires both user understanding and fastidious\meticulous adherence to the steps required to avoid a leakage. It's better to just use an anti-logger; less opportunity for a user mis-step that results in a leak. And better yet is if you block by default. Solves that keylogging issue real fast.

Reactions: SHvFl and shmu26

jetman

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
Does Kaspersky Internet Security have a built in keylogger ?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
2 step authentication and who cares if they steal your master password. I can pm you my password but it has no use to you because you would need to step my authenticator first in order to get in. So the scenario that they get your master password is still not as scary as them getting your passwords. It has almost 0 downside especially considering that you will get an alert and change your password if you have an ounce of brain.
Practically speaking, 2 step authentication usually requires that you have a device in your pocket that can receive text messages, and that you have decent cellular reception.
Does Kaspersky Internet Security have a built in keylogger ?
It has a keystroke encryptor. It self-activates when you fill in login details on a website, as long as you have the Kaspersky browser extension installed and enabled.

But it is not clear to me whether it encrypts when entering the master password in LastPass.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Practically speaking, 2 step authentication usually requires that you have a device in your pocket that can receive text messages, and that you have decent cellular reception.
No it doesn't. Most of this authenticators work with an application and not sms(both google and lastpass that can be used). So as long as you periodically have signal or internet for the time to be accurate you are game on.

Reactions: shmu26

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.