Do we actually need so many security programs?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
G

Genux

Windows users need lots of security because of how useless they are. I only use Windows because Apple does not have a touch-screen laptop, but I use whatever came on my Windows laptop. So far nothing bad has happened.

D

Deleted member 178

Windows users need lots of security because of how useless they are. I only use Windows because Apple does not have a touch-screen laptop, but I use whatever came on my Windows laptop. So far nothing bad has happened.
Windows users don't need lot of security, most average joe i know just use built-in security.
You are on a security forum, so expect people to use more than usual. Like going into a photoshop forum and see people using lot of filters and add-ons.
People, whatever the OS, needs knowledge and practice safe habits to avoid infection.

BTW, Apple don't have touchscreen laptops?!! Really?
It confirms how useless and overrated this brand is...

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Low Restricted is definitely not good enough. The "Low Restricted" rating allows installation of programs and most normal operations, without prompting the user, unless Interactive mode has been enabled.
Actually, I have discovered that "Low Restricted" is more restricted than it appears at first glance. For instance, I have a certain app called TogglDesktop that runs from the Appdata directory. Kaspersky trusts it. But if you move it to Low Restricted, it is denied automatic network access, even if you enable "Perform recommended actions automatically." AFAIK this is not stated in the rules of Low Restricted. It seems to be an under-the-hood restriction, and a very smart one at that.

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Its seems to me lately that my most important security feature, is my back up program
It is indeed important, but nowadays malware is very good at hiding. People simply don't know that their PC was infected. So by the time you realize you need to restore a backup, it might be too late.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
It is indeed important, but nowadays malware is very good at hiding. People simply don't know that their PC was infected. So by the time you realize you need to restore a backup, it might be too late.
Let's assume the user does not use another program to encrypt the files before sync/upload. How well do you think a File Sync client software such as Microsoft OneDrive will protect it's user?

I get this warning.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Let's assume the user does not use another program to encrypt the files before sync/upload. How well do you think a File Sync client software such as Microsoft OneDrive will protect it's user?

I get this warning.
It is ideal to have both cloud backup and local offline backup. One of them might disappoint in certain situations, but the other will usually get it right.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
backup is indeed must-have
however, backup can't save us from backdoors, spyware or keyloggers,... any malware type which steals data silently. Also phishing

therefore, try to do something to complement weaknesses of your primary security product is as important as backup or trying to be cautious (use our brains)

Last edited:

Zorro

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
Too many security programs make using the system inconvenient. The best solution for those who have enough financial resources is to buy antivirus class Internet Security. For those who have financial difficulties, it is better to limit the settings of the system itself (this will help the program to configure the system), free antivirus, browser settings (plug-ins, extensions) and follow the rules of safe surfing the Internet, working with e-mail, etc. d. Also periodically check the system with antivirus scanners.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.