Do we actually need so many security programs?

Thirio

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 3, 2017
I see a lot of posts of people sharing their configs saying that they complement program "A" with program "B". But if you need to complement program "A" with something else maybe you should just be using program "B". I agree it's good to have multiple layers of security just don't overdo it.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
It's a question I ask myself. Because sometimes we have so many programs of Security. But is It Really Necessary To Have As Much ??
If a person is piling up lots of security softs, one on top of another, it is a sign of ignorance or emotional insecurity.
Or maybe he just likes to play hard with his toys and see if he can break them :)
In any case, keep the security config lean. It will protect better that way.

It's a question I ask myself. Because sometimes we have so many programs of Security. But is It Really Necessary To Have As Much ??

Nope.

The reality is that most of the issues such as failures, bypass videos, exploits, IT security news reports, etc that create frenzied excitement on the security forums involves stuff that is unlikely to happen to the typical informed IT security enthusiast.

The behavior of piling security softs on top of each other can be characterized in two broad, generalized categories of motivation:

1. Because I want to
2. Because I am fearful

No one can deny that much of the activity on security forums is based almost exclusively on group 2; fear of infection, fear of tracking, fear of surveillance, fear of hacking, fear of data theft, etc. Much of that fear is the result of fear of the unknown, lack of understanding, lack of experience, etc. The way a lot of folks deal with these things is to over-compensate. More layers = greater security, right ? "I'm gonna bring a T-95 tank to a knife fight" mentality.

Despite the low probabilities, it is pointless to even try to get people to understand that much of what their fear is based upon is blown way, way out of proportion.

Last edited by a moderator:

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Nah, unnecessary and harmful. Usually, and depending on the user's habits, the more the worst. More programs=bigger attack surface. Take into account everything you have installed on your system can be exploited to take control over your PC.
Try to keep it silent, simple and effective. Usually, if you're on traditional antivirus, a paid suite will do the job, e.g Kasperksy Internet Security with the required tweaks, or KFA + VoodooShield. Take a look on this thread: Discuss - How to choose "The Best Antivirus"?

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
But is It Really Necessary To Have As Much ??

Probably not.

But many of us here are 'hobbyists." We like to try things and tinker. It's part of the fun.

I have a friend who hangs out at candlepowerforums.com

He has about 30 flashlights that cost between $100 - 300 (USD). Does he really need all those different flashlights that he tells me have slightly different characteristics?

No.

In2an3_PpG

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 15, 2016
Personally no its not necessary but to others, its necessary for them to have multiple security solutions. A different mindset i will not understand.
Currently on one machine running WD w/SRP enabled using H_C/ConfigureDefender. All i need. Less is more.

But many of us here are 'hobbyists." We like to try things and tinker. It's part of the fun

I used to be, but i realized i needed to move on. Spend more of my life doing something more productive :)

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
There are some that don't use 3rd party security apps at all just a system hardner like Andyful's hard-configurator along with the built in windows 10 protections, Defender and Windows Fire Wall and claim to be just fine security wise and probably are.

There are some that just use a single 3rd party app like Kaspersky Total Security and will never have a problem.

There are some that like to have or are just more comfortable with elaborate multi layer schemes incorporating AI, signature based, anti-exploit, and other protections into a protection package.

So no you do not need necessarily need a whole of lot security apps but having multi layer schemes is not a bad thing either, as long as you know how they work and work together.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
So no you do not need necessarily need a whole of lot security apps but having multi layer schemes is not a bad thing either, as long as you know how they work and work together.
Indeed, I have tried to limit it to None, but just like too many, neither is the best option for everyone. Finding the right balance for your PC is essential.

More programs=bigger attack surface. Take into account everything you have installed on your system can be exploited to take control over your PC.
True, many computers have been hacked, simply because security software have SYSTEM rights, so AV's vulnerability is more than critical, like DoubleAgent. and they do not always disclose it, obviously, they just quietly patch it. Windows Defender is not invulnerable either (mpengine).

What is your security? Since it is your config, that triggered the question, I would like to know. :giggle:

SECURE: Basic - Bribon77 2018 security configuration

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Like too much candy for your machine. :sick: I try Safe Mode just for the difference. Ransomware and paranoia go together and security software makers love that. The turn-off for the end user, I suspect, is researching the various products and how they might overlap and conflict because they all sound perfect for you. And I know there are those users that brag about their intricate setups like it was a major achievement or something. Then, Windows updates and poof!

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
As mostly everyone answered no, you don't need a ton of security programs running all together all the time. It can actually be harmful to your security as

1) They may conflict with each other, effectively blocking each other without any sign, even if in the surface they seem to be running well together.
2) User sanity. Depending on your specific configuration you may need to answer 3 or more prompts for every program you try to run... every time...

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I like all posts in this thread. I am close to the @Lockdown point of view.
Many people on MT can experience three security phases:
FEAR --> EXPERIMENT --> SIMPLICITY + KNOWLEDGE
A few can experience the above more than once.:giggle:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Probably not.

But many of us here are 'hobbyists." We like to try things and tinker. It's part of the fun.

I have a friend who hangs out at candlepowerforums.com

He has about 30 flashlights that cost between $100 - 300 (USD). Does he really need all those different flashlights that he tells me have slightly different characteristics?

No.

"... it's part of the fun." Sure it is... … it's part of the addiction! :LOL::LOL::LOL: I need HELP! Is there a 12-Step program for Security Forum/Software Addiction? :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Antimalware18

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
In alot of instances the short answer is "Yes" I find myself looking through security setups and thinking "This is too much"

As for me i pile 3 programs for two reasons

1. No one program covers signatures/BB (or pseudo BB)/firewall
2. I don't like to pay for security softs and since most don't cover all or don't cover it well (Lookin at comodo's signatures)

My setup is
1.Windows defender
2. NVT OSArmor
3. Windows firewall control.

I don't believe its too much. of course I have been wrong before.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.