Do we actually need so many security programs?

D

Deleted member 178

Don't forget one category: Q&A/testers like @Lockdown and me. We have to reproduce or imagine improbable/unconventional/crazy stuff because some users will do.

Personally, i have many sec softs and tweaks running at same time because it is my hobby and work field .
But to be honest I don't really need any of them , my computer habits are so restricted that I will probably never open a suspicious doc/file...and in the rare case I need to do such risky thing, I have my test machine for that.

Security forums fuel paranoia and fear, which incite people to add more security apps instead of learning how attacks performs.

As a long time security forum member, one phenomenon i observed is competition and ego , the one ready to every lenghts to show off the most big awesome invulnerable fortress.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
I now run two computers with Norton, MBAM Premium, and Cylance. Nothing turned off. It's overkill. I initially just did it experimentally... but it works so smoothly and with no lag... I ended up liking and keeping it.

But I don't recommend this type of overkill for most.

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
If it concerns your malware and virus protection, well, too much is bad for sure, wether it is for security or performance. But security is not only Anti-malware. Encryption, backups for example form part of security. The idea is having a good balance between them.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Sometimes I see configs in this and other forums that makes me wonder how the computer is even booting...
I dont think this exist much here on mt
Most of us are just combining firewall + av + anti-exe any kind of bb/hips kind of software to have more powerful internet security than full security suites ( mostly paids) offer. Piling/ stacking whatever we should call it is smart, unless software overlaps very badly

People who post their conf on this forum, will be adviced very fast by activer users we have here, They will tell the truth about overkill setups if theres one

Sadly the hype sometimes goes bit too far, and might cause people get paranoid and stacking the software(me included), when in reality they probably never will have close call with any kind of malware in ' real life'

So do we need so many security programs ?
-Probably not, but most of people here are enthusiast and really interested to improve their security/ privacy so i wouldnt call anyone stupid/paranoid that is piling/stacking/ trying new things out. Only way you learn something, is by trying it out yourself

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Having too many security programs for little common sense reason makes no sense. Having less to reduce attack surfaces is a better way of looking at it. For me I use Syshardener, ConfigureDefender/Hard_Configuer, WD & Forticlient with 2 on demand scanners, why you may ask because most common attack surface areas are covered and less is more.

~LDogg

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Having too many security programs for little common sense reason makes no sense. Having less to reduce attack surfaces is a better way of looking at it. For me I use Syshardener, ConfigureDefender/Hard_Configuer, WD & Forticlient with 2 on demand scanners, why you may ask because most common attack surface areas are covered and less is more.

~LDogg
If you use both syshardener and hard_configurator, you have 2 tools tweaking the same system settings, and this is not recommended. Because this tool might be changing the settings from that tool, and in the end, you don't know what your true settings are.
It is recommended to use only one tool to tweak system settings.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
SysHardener does not show the actual settings. So, If the setting was changed by Hard_Configurator, that cannot be seen in SysHardener. Also, some settings are differently managed by SysHardener and H_C, like blocking script files by extension. If one chose to unblock this feature in H_C it still remains disabled by SysHardener, and vice versa! The similar problems can happen with blocking vulnerabilities in MS Office and Adobe Reader. Some vulnerabilities will be still blocked by H_C, even when they were unblocked by SysHardener.
The advanced user can use both H_C and SysHardener, but I would recommend making some tweaks to avoid the overlapping settings.

Last edited:
E

Eddie Morra

True, many computers have been hacked, simply because security software have SYSTEM rights, so AV's vulnerability is more than critical, like DoubleAgent. and they do not always disclose it, obviously, they just quietly patch it.
DoubleAgent required administrative rights to be deployed. It was either a protected area on file-system or registry (I'd have to check because I cannot remember - it was a pretty crap invention for the purpose of attention).

If you have administrative rights, you can give yourself SYSTEM rights by registering and starting a Windows Service via the SC Manager APIs. There was no privilege escalation from DoubleAgent alone.

DoubleAgent was possible because of Microsoft, not AV vendors, anyway.

Edit:
Fixed a typo.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I just use WD+Hard_Configurator+Voodoo Shield.
You can skip VS, without losing much safety. You can also keep WD + VS (without H_C) and tweak WD via ConfigureDefender (standalone version). If so, then you can use RunBySmartScreen (standalone version) to safely run application installers via right-click Explorer context menu.(y)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.