How to choose "the best antivirus"?

Discussion in 'General Security Discussions' started by RoboMan, Feb 16, 2017.

1. RoboMan

RoboMan Level 17
    Content Creator

Jun 24, 2016
    USA
    Windows 10
    ESET
    A good antivirus is a must have. It minimizes the times you have to enter damage control mode to clean up the mess caused by a successful malware attack. Antivirus has always been the go-to solution to fight malicious software and cyber criminal tactics. And it still is. Malware, phishing scams, ransomware, DDoS – these are just a handful of the threats that lurk on the Internet.

[​IMG]

HOW TO CHOOSE THE BEST ANTIVIRUS

To start with, you must know and have clear: there is no best antivirus ever created to give you online invulnerability. There are, still, some great antivirus software that may or may not suit you depending on your system software and hardware.

Then, how do i choose the best for me?

When it comes to your personal best security software, things you should check before making it your main security layer:

• CPU usage and RAM consuming: make sure your system has enough hardware as to run the selected software. You don't want to turn your security into a nightmare.
    • File detection ratio and real time protection: despite nowadays signature based solutions are kind of...not so good, they still have years of useful life, even more now that AV Vendors are including more modules to complement the basics. To be sure your software has a decent detection ratio and real time protection security, the best you can do is test by your own on a Virtual Machine. Everything on how to do this can be found on the MalwareTips Malware Vault (reach 100 posts!). As well, you can find testings by our Testers or videoreviews by our AV Reviers.
    • Script blocking and Behaviour Blocker: now most malware is zeroday, more security layers are required. You can always install more software as to cover all weak points, but it's always nice to have one-for-all software that protects you as many would do. Be sure the antivirus you're installing has a decent Behaviour Blocker to analize on the background every file that tries to create, modify or whatever on your system. This would not only block malware that tries to run, but detect and stop active malware to download payloads.
    • Malware removal: research. Google is your best ally when you don't want to do your own tests. Google and our precious Malware Testers. Be sure your AV is capable of efficiently removing and disinfecting all malware. And if you're choosing a free product, be sure you don't have to pay for removal!
    • Ransomware protection: welcome to 2017, Ransomware party! Be sure your suite has a good ransomware protection, though many behaviour blockers will help you here, an extra security layer to avoid this head ache malware is a very good option. Many Security Suites have one now, as it's a must because of the danger it talks about.

Another modules you would like include:

• File Shredder, DNS Protection, Password Managers, Phishing protection, Antispam, Browser protection.

Let's talk about the firewall. (notice how i left it for the end? :D)

Some AV’s can filter and scan your internet traffic to detect incoming threats before they reach your device. A firewall is really a DO IT on this Internet Age. Windows built-in firewall is always a good option, but if you're considering paying for an Internet Security suite, make sure it includes a decent firewall that's actually worth disabling Windows'. Many security software include awsome firewalls, like Emsisoft, Kaspersky, Norton. Don't forget to research on that before using it. You can always combine your free product with a third-party firewall like Comodo or ZoneAlarm, even use Windows'.

Alright RoboMan, you just told us what to do, now what shouldn't i do?

Well then, thanks for asking mysterious stranger:

• Don't rely on AV-Testing like AV-TESTS, AV-COMPARATIVES, PC-MAG, etc. Despite some of them may actually be, let's say, "accurate" they do not represent your system or how malware and antivirus software would behave on your specific system. For this, trust your own tests or MalwareTips testers, whose virtual enviroment is much more similar to yours.
    • Do not rely as well 100% on a single test: two days and two malware packs are not enough to conclude Kaspersky is the best against ransomware malware. If you're not willing to make your own tests, research for many tests that could actually represent your system. Make sure fresh packs are used and system configuration is settled as you would use it.
    • Do not use more than two antivirus or same software: OK, most of you knew that. Still many new members have no clue on what i'm talking about. Two or more antivirus suites or software with the same purpose, say two firewalls, will NOT give you more security layers. On the other hand, this will conclude on excesive CPU and RAM usage, BSOD, incompatibility and less security, since they will end up disabling components and highlighting as possible malware.

FINAL ADVISES:

At the end of the day, most antivirus will be the same. They'll all offer you decent protection and detection, and you'll find out you can choose the one that fits you the nest. Most of the times, you will find this great security software you love. It includes awsome modules and it makes you feel protected. Still, you're not sure, because if has no firewall. Combine, my friend. Software combination will make you achieve great stuff. Grab your Avast Free and install Comodo's Free Firewall. Tweak. Maybe disable Comodo's HIPS and install VoodooShield. See what i did there? I covered almost all weak points on my PC by installing software and tweaking it to achieve best results. Do this. Research and how to do this. You won't be 100% protected ever, but you can try your best. Almost always, it won't be enough with buying Kaspersky Internet Security and installing it by default. Combine, tweak, research, ask, learn. It's your system and you know exactly how you want it.

Feel free to comment anything to add. :)

This is 80% my work and 20% a combination of internet articles.

lancer502, Bad News, Anubis and 45 others like this.
  2. Svoll

Svoll Level 12

Nov 17, 2016
    Student/Engineering Failure
    US
    macOS Sierra
    Norton
    This is gold, Great read and at same time great insights on choosing an AV. I use the classic method of testing every single one that can.

3. Janl1992l

Janl1992l Level 9

Feb 14, 2016
    Germany
    Windows 10
    Avast
    Form me the best antivirus dosnt must have the best detection and so on. It must run perfectly fine on my system. Performance is importan for me because im a gamer. im carefull enough to have a medium av with high performance. the best one by the way are not avs. Best ones are antiexecutables with windows defender. 0 performance inpact and if u know what u do and know what to allow it almost is bulletproof. For other like my family who are happy clickers and doesnt know anything i mostly install avast free with hardernd mode. they never had a infection. Avast is for me by far the "best" free av for the average windows user.

4. Aura

Aura Level 20

Jul 29, 2014
    Technical Support Tier 2
    Québec, Canada
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Putting PC-Mag on the same level as AV-Test and AV-Comparatives.

...Really?

5. Sr. Normal 2.0

Sr. Normal 2.0 Level 5
    Trusted

Sep 14, 2016
    Talavera, España
    Windows 10
    Norton
    Good advices.
    Greet "mysterious stranger" and thank him for his questions :D

Well, In Pc-Mag will always AVG and ZoneAlarm are on top, as well as any antivirus with Bitdefender engine. It is not necessary to read the review, if you have already read any of them, you have read them all

6. RoboMan

RoboMan Level 17
    Content Creator

Jun 24, 2016
    USA
    Windows 10
    ESET
    It was not my intention to classify them as the same, just wrote them together. Still, despite there's a visible difference, none of them are to trust as to install the software blinded. They are more like a guide on which software is worth to be tested by us and which not.

7. Aura

Aura Level 20

Jul 29, 2014
    Technical Support Tier 2
    Québec, Canada
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Some thoughts on the CrowdStrike vs NSS Labs debacle

8. Umbra

Umbra From Emsisoft
    Developer

May 16, 2011
    Community manager
    Vietnam & France
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    A so true article , long time i didn't see one telling truths.

so true

so obvious

I can't say better

What i'm saying since ages.

9. Deletedmessiah

Deletedmessiah Level 15

Jan 16, 2017
    SSD
    Windows 8.1
    Emsisoft
    Spot on with not relying on AV-TEST, AV Comparatives etc. Bitdefender and Kaspersky scores full in their performance test, but high resource usage in my system. I feel noticable slowdowns. Emsisoft didn't score full on performance test, but doesn't slow down my system. Even when I disable the memory usage optimization. I guess Security products performs differently on different systems.

mlnevese, Nevi, carsten ibsen and 5 others like this.
  10. Umbra

Umbra From Emsisoft
    Developer

May 16, 2011
    Community manager
    Vietnam & France
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Indeed because it has to monitor different things which are specific to a given system.

11. RoboMan

RoboMan Level 17
    Content Creator

Jun 24, 2016
    USA
    Windows 10
    ESET
    Thanks for sharing the article. It somehows supports my theory that AV-Testing online is crap and somehow as well supports the theory that all testing is crap lol.

Wether it's true and the article is very interesting, i still refuse to use software without being tested before.

That's exactly my point :)

12. KGBagent47

KGBagent47 Guest

Unpopular opinion: But I actually like reading their reviews. For instance their Webroot and VoodooShield review are really good.

13. HarborFront

HarborFront Level 34
    Content Creator

Oct 9, 2016
    Far East
    Strictly speaking AV don't come with a FW....Norton Security Standard is the exception here. Then you talk of a FW and the Internet Security Suite

So are you choosing the best AV or the best Internet Security Suite?

carsten ibsen, aragornnnn and RoboMan like this.
  14. Umbra

Umbra From Emsisoft
    Developer

May 16, 2011
    Community manager
    Vietnam & France
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    @HarborFront AV is the general understood term , common people don't say "what suite are you using" , they just say "what AV are you using"

15. RoboMan

RoboMan Level 17
    Content Creator

Jun 24, 2016
    USA
    Windows 10
    ESET
    If i'm to choose i'd choose the power of love, but the guide means a general orientation on choosing a security program, the one it is, for a main layer security.

carsten ibsen and aragornnnn like this.
  16. HarborFront

HarborFront Level 34
    Content Creator

Oct 9, 2016
    Far East
    Then your topic title should be changed to 'How to choose the best Internet Security Suite', no? Because having the best AV will not protect your system any better than the best Internet Security Suite especially when you want it as a main security layer, right?

Of course you can have the best AV and a separate FW with others as complements

17. RoboMan

RoboMan Level 17
    Content Creator

Jun 24, 2016
    USA
    Windows 10
    ESET
    I'm passing from this one since it makes me think you're only trying to create discussion.

carsten ibsen and aragornnnn like this.
  18. WinXPert

WinXPert Level 23
    Trusted AV Tester

Jan 9, 2013
    Graphic Artist
    Manila
    Windows 7
    Emsisoft
    couldn't agree more...

carsten ibsen, aragornnnn and RoboMan like this.
  19. Aura

Aura Level 20

Jul 29, 2014
    Technical Support Tier 2
    Québec, Canada
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    More like, some Antivirus testing companies have better methodologies than others, but they aren't fullproof.

20. j2yazmnzn

j2yazmnzn Level 1

Jan 29, 2017
    London
    Agree 100%. windows defender+antiexecutable works great or Avast only.

carsten ibsen, Rengar and aragornnnn like this.