Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Hide IP - Why You Should Hide Your IP Address
Why should you hide your IP Address ? The answer is simple. An IP address is an unique and individualized number that corresponds directly to your computer or internet device, so if you don't hide your IP address, anyone - including hackers - can easily find personal information about you with a few clicks of their mouse. You are not anonymous as you surf the web, even though it may feel that way. Everything you do online is connected to your IP address.

The Dangers of Exposing Your IP Address on the Internet
The Internet Protocol address, better known as IP address, is the unique identification number of each device on the Internet. Every person who uses the Internet for whatever reason has an IP address, which is used by websites to track visitors. An IP address will tell the owners or administrators of a website where their site visitors are coming from and which pages they frequented. This is important particularly for sites that are selling products and services. Forums and message boards also look into a user's IP address to prevent spammers from gaining access. However, what some people do not know is that this information could put them in grave danger, especially when exposed to hackers lurking on the web.

How Online Hackers Find Their Victim
Hackers have become quite skilled at what they do. Initially, they will get hold of a person's IP address, and then through this unique identifiable information, the hacker can find out details about this user and can steal personal information and use it for their own benefit. On top of that, hackers can even plant Trojans and DoS (Denial of Service) viruses into the unsuspecting victim's computer. Usually, their modus operandi involves chat applications like MSN where they will paste a website address. When someone clicks the link, his or her IP address will be automatically logged. While that is one of the most common methods for a hacker to discover your IP address, there are other ways that hackers can obtain this information, such as through emails and visiting attack sites.

What You Can Do to Protect Yourself
It is almost impossible to completely cripple the operations of hackers because there are just too many to stop. However, that doesn't mean that there aren't ways to protect yourself. The use of a software program that can hide your IP address is the single most effective way to prevent hackers from accessing your information. A hide IP software can mask your real IP address and replace it with a proxy, thereby keeping you anonymous online.

Found at Hide IP Address| Tips & Software To Hide My IP And Protect Your IP Address

I am not promoting any product. I wish to hear from the more expert Malware Tips members on this topic.

dJim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 12, 2016
Just depend or what sites u go enter and if u dont want be recognized..vpn good for enter in web where u country block. but no need get paranoid.. personally i dont need/want any of those extra " layer "

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
I use VPN only to access some blocked VOD stuff since I am Polish living in The Netherlands :cool:
I don't trust any VPN provider that much to let them listen to all my traffic (especially sensistive stuff like online banking and shopping).

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
The title of this thread, and the question it poses, is a relevant concern I am happy you've placed into words, @conceptualclarity.
In 2013 (back when we'd both joined MT) I recall such go to extensions, DoNotTrackMe (Blur) for Firefox & ZenMate for Chrome, used along with Ghostery to prevent tracking, were extensions I had used & browsed with primarily for privacy, but in time also becoming aware that these extensions themselves track us. My thinking, then, was "It couldn't hurt". Now, I no longer use VPNs. Instead I utilize such blockers as uBlock Origin, Adguard, & Java Script blockers such as NoScript & uMatrix. As @dJim & @pablozi mention :rolleyes:above, the most sought after reasoning behind using a VPN is to unblock content restricted in other nations. Personally, I've hopefully retained a greater sense of security by avoiding being infected (<clicking> near or around :eek:fake Adobe Flash downloads) using Shadow Defender, Sandboxie, (& sometimes both) while watching "Game of Thrones" online.:cool:

Last edited:

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Thanks for your answers, gentlemen.

Instead I utilize such blockers as uBlock Origin, Adguard, & Java Script blockers such as NoScript & uMatrix.

Do you use NoScript and uMatrix simultaneously?

As @dJim & @pablozi mention :rolleyes:above, the most sought after reasoning behind using a VPN is to unblock content restricted in other nations.

Probably so. The issue here is maximizing one's protection against hackers. it's my understanding that those on Wi-Fi are really foolhardy to be without VPN. For the rest of us, can we maximize our protection against hacking without VPN or proxy?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Common Advice: Don't click on suspicious links from chat, email and on the web. If you visit a lot of sites, then your IP may be logged already. Masking your IP is one way to hide yourself from the site, but if you have an account some websites block or disallow registration from VPN/Proxy IP, including masked email addresses from bots/spammers.

Using a trusted VPN service when accessing untrusted Wi-Fi, for example, Public Hotspots or a Family Friend's home, is reasonable for your own Privacy and Security concerns.

Personally, you do not need to use a VPN or Proxy 24/7/365.

marzametal

Level 7
Verified
Jun 10, 2014
Some countries (some more recently than others) have decided to take it upon themselves to "archive" metadata; not just archive it, but keep it available for 2-5 years. These same countries have extended this collection even further, to envelop data collected via landline, mobile phone and email. This kicks up a storm in itself. On one side, the "I have my right to privacy and anonymity" group, and on the other "I am doing nothing wrong/I have nothing to hide" group.

IMO, the most trivial use of a VPN is to circumvent geography for viewing pleasure. I have encountered such an example 2 weeks ago while looking on YouTube for ethnic music videos for my Mum to watch. One user has a bucket-load, and keeps updating. However, from a country such as Germany, his list hasn't been updated for 3 months. Jump across a couple of borders and head to Switzerland, and you will notice that his list was last updated 4 hours ago! 400 odd songs later snatched via the help of Internet Download Manager, and my Mum was tickled pink. Anyways...

I use a VPN. I have been using a VPN for over 3 years, well... ever since the Snowden stuff reared its ugly head. To use a VPN 24/7, to run a VPN for online commerce (banking, buying, trading), to run a VPN to improve entertainment (streaming); it's use can be categorised and justified from person to person, scenario to scenario. I like to use a VPN 24/7, for the simple reason "that I can". I like to push the boundary, challenge the accepted. I ain't a fanboy, I would prefer not to have to become one either. Quite frankly, a home user on a VPN 24/7 is a job that doesn't "pay".

For me, the days where I run without one are over, unless things turn pear-shaped. Up until this thread, I never entertained the thought of hanging ten on The Net ever again without a VPN. If I had another computer to make use of, then I would. The idea of splitting one system up between ISP and VPN - I just don't like it; I would much rather have a dedicated system for VPN and a seperate system for ISP.

I've had my digital appearance appear so cloudy, private, anonymous and unknown... that my own Bank, Government and PayPal called me "malware".

Referring to #4, I can't imagine a life where I ran on ISP, as opposed to VPN, even with the setup of browsers, system etc... it seems to be an example of Schrodinger's Cat.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Personally I use VPNs only when I need to, be it content being blocked in my country, or activities that make my IP significantly easier to log. But I find using a VPN more of a hassle because of the speed decrease when I VPN to other countries. As much as possible I would like to just use my own IP to browse the internet because it's so much quicker.

But if you are in a country where tons of websites are blocked and the governments are very strict about the internet then yes using a VPN 24/7 might be something you need to do just so you remain safe and can have the best internet browsing experience.

broughie

Level 2
Verified
Sep 11, 2013
When away from home I use Chrome with WebRTC Block extn and Cyberghost free or Dot VPN (extn) these because they have UK servers ( unlike many of big vpn's which dont ) also as most UK web accounts I have wont accept foreign/USA IP addresses . Have tested often and never leakages .

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.