Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Thanks to management for adding the poll. Thanks to everyone for their comments.

Some countries (some more recently than others) have decided to take it upon themselves to "archive" metadata; not just archive it, but keep it available for 2-5 years. These same countries have extended this collection even further, to envelop data collected via landline, mobile phone and email. This kicks up a storm in itself. On one side, the "I have my right to privacy and anonymity" group, and on the other "I am doing nothing wrong/I have nothing to hide" group...

I use a VPN. I have been using a VPN for over 3 years, well... ever since the Snowden stuff reared its ugly head.

I find this cogent.

I wonder if anybody uses a VPN or proxy to protect against criminal hackers?

Are proxies lighterweight, less burdensome, than VPNs?

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thanks for your answers, gentlemen.

Do you use NoScript and uMatrix simultaneously?

Probably so. The issue here is maximizing one's protection against hackers. it's my understanding that those on Wi-Fi are really foolhardy to be without VPN. For the rest of us, can we maximize our protection against hacking without VPN or proxy?
Huracan rightly pointed out that public hot spots are perilous ..particularly for those whom might forget, these are in fact accessed :eek:publicly.
Although our home router is secured & password protected, it is often advised to reset the factory set password with ones own secure password, phrase, or pass code (I know, I should do this myself...):rolleyes:.

@conceptualclarity, I use NoScript with gecko browsers, Firefox, Palemoon, & SeaMonkey. My wife cannot stand it, lol!;):p
uBlock Matrix is used on our Chromium sourced browsers, so just one (or the other) is used along with it's respective browser at any given time.:)

Last edited:

rigor

Level 2
Verified
May 20, 2016
I can't say it's a must but I prefer using a VPN. I bought a 1 year subscription for PIA almost a year ago but changed to AirVPN today. If you care about your privacy using a VPN provider located in the US isn't recommended, or a free one.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I think it has come to a point where there are many free options out there and any user if needed would be able to get their hands on a VPN that best suits them, be it free or paid.
Just recently my friend had to use a free VPN to get around the censorship in China, Betternet. Has anyone heard of it before? It seems to have 0 logging policy and it's completely free while relying on third party app installs to keep the servers afloat. Doesn't seem to be viable but they've been doing it n problem for awhile now, I'd like to hear some thoughts

rigor

Level 2
Verified
May 20, 2016
Doesn't seem to be viable but they've been doing it n problem for awhile now, I'd like to hear some thoughts

According to the chart on their website sometimes they are making profit and sometimes they are losing money. I wouldn't trust it for privacy just because it is free. From what I could see they don't go in-depth on what they mean by "no logging". Some VPN providers state no logging but then they still save info on you. I wouldn't trust Betternet not to give my info to the US after saying something like "I am going to release chemical weapons on the 4th of July in Times Square".

I am not in possesion of chemical weapons... just an example.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
According to the chart on their website sometimes they are making profit and sometimes they are losing money. I wouldn't trust it for privacy just because it is free. From what I could see they don't go in-depth on what they mean by "no logging". Some VPN providers state no logging but then they still save info on you. I wouldn't trust Betternet not to give my info to the US after saying something like "I am going to release chemical weapons on the 4th of July in Times Square".

I am not in possesion of chemical weapons... just an example.
According to them they also respond to DMCA takedowns although I'm not even sure how that is possible because that's mostly for hosting. The whole thing just seems kinda fishy.

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
The problem with VPNs is that you must trust it enough. A very important thing to note is that VPNs may even capture your passwords etc.

@omidomi I don't think conventional VPNs would work very well for you since your government is able to simply block or restrict access to VPN providers. Although I do not like many things about HolaVPN, especially with its privacy issues, it would seem to be the best option for you since it is a peer to peer based VPN.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Firefox + NoScript + Adguard = No to VPN :)
I dont utilize a vpn, I did for online banking way back.
As you can see some need to employ a vpn for various reasons, but if it is not "necessary" I would not use one
if you don't have to. There are plenty of security options out there that negate the need for vpn now.

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
The problem with VPNs is that you must trust it enough. A very important thing to note is that VPNs may even capture your passwords etc.

@omidomi I don't think conventional VPNs would work very well for you since your government is able to simply block or restrict access to VPN providers. Although I do not like many things about HolaVPN, especially with its privacy issues, it would seem to be the best option for you since it is a peer to peer based VPN.
:D
Hola not work here :p
just tor with very low speed.... :(

Cohen

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
Not all people need VPNs, but people who would like to be extra careful about their privacy online should have one.
They're also very helpful with getting around region blocking.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
For those who think VPN = privacy, it aint necessarily true.

I use VPN sometimes not to bypass content etc but because its faster to achieve a stable connection etc.

Did not vote because I believe is not required but user can benefit if used correctly, depending on whats the reason behind it

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.