Advice Request Do we really need AV on Android?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
A small suggestion on a test that perhaps can help as it was an eye opener for myself how extrem weak and poor the built-in AV on my phone is. Even Google Play kicked in before and worked as a much stronger and faster layer.
Try disable layer after layer and watch what happens. :coffee:

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015

KonradPL

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 1, 2018
I am suprised when read some posts about av is not necessery on android. Currently use Norton on my LG G7 becouse often read about dangerous aplication in play store or phishing sites/ email campanions. Now considering am i should to buy another license when my Norton expires. I like to have one license for all my devices. I very like thia product for windows and android version is pretty fine....

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

I am suprised when read some posts about av is not necessery on android. Currently use Norton on my LG G7 becouse often read about dangerous aplication in play store or phishing sites/ email campanions. Now considering am i should to buy another license when my Norton expires. I like to have one license for all my devices. I very like thia product for windows and android version is pretty fine....
Because a lot of misinformation exist on Internet and of course the AV companys try to sell their products.
If you follow my posted tips, you don't need any AV on Android which also (funny) increase your security and performance.

Edit: word attack -> security

Last edited by a moderator:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Because a lot of misinformation exist on Internet and of course the AV companys try to sell their products.
If you follow my posted tips, you don't need any AV on Android which also (funny) increase your attack and performance.

I suppose if the user is that infamous "Average Joe" :LOL: and does heavy surfing on a phone then web filtering might be nice. Then again, I know someone who is a savvy, heavy surfer and uses Avast Free.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

I suppose if the user is that infamous "Average Joe" :LOL: and does heavy surfing on a phone then web filtering might be nice. Then again, I know someone who is a savvy, heavy surfer and uses Avast Free.
Well Android isolate apps and Chrome & Chromium browser have isolation too so a successful attack is less possible.

Against ads & tracking using a DNS server which do that on server side is much better version then using a local app.
Android 9+ can do that natively.

Average users shouldn't trust on faulty "security" solutions like AV.
Users with more knowledge (should) know what they need to do.

But this are just my 2c ;)

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
I have Xaiomi Note 8 and it comes with Avast built-in. I had F-Secure Safe Installed before but have removed it recently as I did not feel it is needed anymore.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Well Android isolate apps and Chrome & Chromium browser have isolation too so a successful attack is less possible.

Against ads & tracking using a DNS server which do that on server side is much better version then using a local app.
Android 9+ can do that natively.

Yes. Precisely what I do with hardened Brave and CleanBrowsingDNS.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

I personally dont think an AV is necessary for android. I use to have one, but then realized that I'm just wasting resources. Sure there is malware that still makes it on to the play store, but the chances of running into those are low, unless you install anything and everything. Like Windows, follow safe commin practices and you'll be fine. Dont go installing everything you see, if your not sure do some research on the program first. Don't go clicking on every link you get via email/SMS.

Like Windows many people get infected as a result of what they, the user was doing. It rarely the result of some random piece of malware just randomly sneaking on to your system.

F

ForgottenSeer 85911

Android is most used smartphone-OS which doesn't mean it's highly vulnerable by default. (Same for Windows)

Google and Qualcomm do good work to keep the OS secure. You just need to keep it up2date.

check reputable studies of Android
Android is highly vulnerable
right out of the box

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Some are such low impact, scan only on install and on-demand they are not really taxing on the phone or battery. People think they scan constantly like on PC and that it'll slow down and drain phone battery. But that's not true. I removed it on Xiaomi which got built in antivirus with MIUI 10 which works the same and it's already built in. If you like trying apps, I'd use one. If you're only using official stuff from big companies like Facebook, Google and stuff, then maybe not, even though I consider them like malware lol

F

ForgottenSeer 85911

Don't spread misinformation.

If you have any source that it exist even one not fixed "highly vulnerable", post it.

no misinformation, just fact
search online "android vulnerable" or "android vulnerability" or "android security study"
lots of infos

Android OS stops get security updates after two years for most
makes Android highly vulnerable

please do not reply to me again
thank you

Reactions: KonradPL
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

no misinformation, just fact
search online "android vulnerable" or "android vulnerability" or "android security study"
lots of infos
Of course. You found that for every OS but that doesn't mean that the OS is by default nor permanent unsecure.

Android OS stops get security updates after two years for most
makes Android highly vulnerable
That's not how it works.
Android, also Google provide every month the security updates which vendor need to provide for their own phones. Google do that for their Pixel devices.
If other vendors doesn't do that, it's not Google fault.

Also Google doesn't stop security updates after two years. That's just wrong.
Google provide 3 years for their own Pixel devices. If you use other phone vendor, then it's only vendor part how long they support their own device. See Apple who support their devices for 5 years.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.