Not open for further replies.

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
I found this older article looking for some details about what's new regarding Windows Telemetry in the freshly released "Creators Update":

5 Unintended Consequences of Windows 10 Upgradegate

Do you agree with it? Please detail in a comment.

I found it deeply disturbing. It's not the first one i found describing the same thing. I think many people fail to realise the importance of updating/upgrading software, especially the OS. But i also think MS fails to explain why, otherwise people could be more informed and these article could not be this popular.

Or people react like this as a consequence of reading this exact type of articles, without even considering to double check what's brainwashing and what is the reality?
Stuff can be disabled in many software if you don't like it, like Windows Telemetry, or can be customized...

Last edited:
Reactions: ZeroDay
D

Deleted member 178

Most people are sheeps; they read an article and follow it without even thinking about the bigger picture. Not saying MS hating is trendy. Most haters i talked with have no clues about Windows, they just repeat what they heard...once i told them the other side of the story , they can't say anything...

Windows is far from perfect but if you care to learn it , you will find most of the issues are obsolete.

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
Most people are sheeps; they read an article and follow it without even thinking about the bigger picture. Not saying MS hating is trendy. Most haters i talked with have no clues about Windows, they just repeat what they heard...once i told them the other side of the story , they can't say anything...

Another one: Stop Windows Telemetry/Tracking/Upgrading to Win10 « alaya·techne

The advice from many experts now is to not go near Windows 10. Do not install it. Retain your privacy and control over your systems.

Who are these experts??
No offence intended, but just by looking at this website, you can realise it's not particularly a trustworthy tech hub...

Dark Knight

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I think most people like to hate on Microsoft without even realizing that it's not only Windows, pretty much anything internet or wifi enabled from your pc to laptops, tablets, smartphones, smart watches, Kindles, smart TV's and whatever internet enabled device you can imagine collects information, yes, even Macs and the newest of wifi enabled devices ....... the vibrator! It doesn't matter what type of security software you use, what brand of electronics you use or what type of operating system you have, they all collect a certain amount of information.

So go ahead, hate on Microsoft use everything you can think of to block the telemetry but just realize, that TV you're watching also has the capability of watching you.

What I am getting at is that you can do what you can to minimize the intrusion but you will never completely stop it, I don't even trust Tor these days because when they dropped the Vault 7 bombshell they let the secret out that the NSA has Tor figured out, Nothing, NOTHING is sacred I tell you!

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
@Amelith Nargothrond @Umbra Choice incurs a cost. This cost might be more than the benefit of learning it. You can't just read articles out of everything that bothers you. People can and will apply general decisions and that is rational. Yeah, app and OS updates are probably the most effective mitigation that works for an unmanaged user (although app updates in Windows is much more convenient), but general decisions and tactical manuevers and changes as mistakes are made is just as rational.

Also, Microsoft is the bigger company. They get the bigger press. More haters. It's only predictable.
Personally, I have security so I don't lose everything. Losing my usability or my system from an update, the logic would be the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
True, but isn't it rational to balance "what do i have to loose" and "what do i have to gain" when taking a decision? I mean it's for your own good (generally speaking). And when you do balance the two, how do you do it? Don't you research a bit? You just follow the big press?

I know that most don't have time to research or it's more easier to comply with an article they read in a rush for 3 minutes, and this is how the world works... but still, if you take the time and money to have the latest phone (for $800) because it has the latest android or ios, which also collects data, you don't take the time to balance the "losses and wins" and upgrade your OS for free? Or, to research how to disable stuff you don't agree with?

I don't know... Maybe following blindly the masses it's not such a good idea after all... Just my thoughts...

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

First time after installing Win 10, i never had a thought to go back to Win 7/8. People complain what they have no full understanding about, plus you got it as a free upgrade, what else do you want? People say that Win10 is virus itself.. man, I just read and smile and do research myself what's really going and and why people are so upset about it, and come to conclusion after, and i suggest everyone doing the same not blindly jump into hate-train. Windows 10 is not bad, it's just lack of education and willing to understand and learn, that's how i would formulate it. ;)

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015

Windows is far from perfect but if you care to learn it , you will find most of the issues are obsolete.
My thoughts exactly ;)
I'm not saying they get it right all the time, or that they don't have their short comings, but most of what
I don't like about MS is easily remedied.

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
@Amelith Nargothrond Paradox of choice really. Too many choices incurs too much cost that it doesn't make any sense to extensively research about it so you do have to add making a decision as a cost especially because competition means there's only marginal differences among different stuff.
Following the masses sometimes make sense depending on how much fraud and manipulation society has. Unfortunately, we live in that world so you can't believe the masses or even yourself.

You use heuristics to counter this. You might buy what catches your eye, what you see first or have used in the past. No thought needed. No energy and time wasted. This is normal and rational. It does situationally introduce biases but that can be remedied by simply learning from your mistakes and if that doesn't happen, it might not have mattered at all - or you just suck.

Points 1 - 3 are mostly spot-on, but 4 is patently false. When it comes to item 2, most typical home users do not even know that they can disable Windows Update service to prevent W10 updates. Unless it becomes wide-spread that item is weak. For item 4 typical home users do not even know that alternative OSes even exit. 5 is debatable as to whether it will make Microsoft change things - of course they will when mandated but otherwise I wouldn't count on too much alteration of their stated W10 methodology and objectives.

Personally I don't agree with the W10 as a service model. I think it suxx - for everybody. As for W10 itself, there are things about it that suxx too. It's the same-old, same-old.

My perspective about W10 is biased in large part due to the forced upgrade issue. I am a part of that unfortunate group that the forced W10 upgrade literally killed a piece of hardware\system - despite repeated assurances that they were compatible.

W10 has been steadily improving - and by most measures - W10 is a better, more secure OS than all those that preceded it.

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
Points 1 - 3 are mostly spot-on, but 4 is patently false. When it comes to item 2, most typical home users do not even know that they can disable Windows Update service to prevent W10 updates. Unless it becomes wide-spread that item is weak. For item 4 typical home users do not even know that alternative OSes even exit. 5 is debatable as to whether it will make Microsoft change things - of course they will when mandated but otherwise I wouldn't count on too much alteration of their stated W10 methodology and objectives.

Personally I don't agree with the W10 as a service model. I think it suxx - for everybody. As for W10 itself, there are things about it that suxx too. It's the same-old, same-old.

My perspective about W10 is biased in large part due to the forced upgrade issue. I am a part of that unfortunate group that the forced W10 upgrade literally killed a piece of hardware\system - despite repeated assurances that they were compatible.

W10 has been steadily improving - and by most measures - W10 is a better, more secure OS than all those that preceded it.

Thank you for the detailed input, you also have mixed feelings about the whole thing...
May i ask what was killed during the update?

Thank you for the detailed input, you also have mixed feelings about the whole thing...
May i ask what was killed during the update?

During the forced upgrade both the hard drive and BIOS were destroyed. The BIOS chip mfr states that many problem reports filtered-in when the W10 upgrades began. Not exactly the best empirical evidence, but for me 1 + 1 = 2.

Reactions: shmu26

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
During the forced upgrade both the hard drive and BIOS were destroyed. The BIOS chip mfr states that many problem reports filtered-in when the W10 upgrades began. Not exactly the best empirical evidence, but for me 1 + 1 = 2.

Laptop/desktop? SSD or classic HDD? Sounds like you were one step away from a total meltdown...

Reactions: shmu26
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.