Advice Request Do you allow auto updates of your installed software?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I do not have a single software capable of auto-updating itself and I honestly I do not recall any.
Most just auto-checks for the newest version and that is hardly worth allowing it in the firewall.
I use Softpedia to be notified about the latest versions, it lists like 99% of known software.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Guys, I just don't get it. What's the difference if your software updates by itself, or by an app such as Sumo? It will be downloading the same file from the same source.

I understand that you might not want driver updates for your graphics card, because they might be the wrong driver And I understand that you might not want half-baked Windows updates, because you prefer that someone else be the guinea pig.

But what's wrong with letting your regular software update itself?

ParaXY

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
Guys, I just don't get it. What's the difference if your software updates by itself, or by an app such as Sumo? It will be downloading the same file from the same source.

I understand that you might not want driver updates for your graphics card, because they might be the wrong driver And I understand that you might not want half-baked Windows updates, because you prefer that someone else be the guinea pig.

For me, its about having control over my machine. I like to choose what I update and when. I also don't want something auto installing/updating itself without my knowledge. I use my machine for work every single day so keeping things stable, secure and predictable is important for me.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
For me, its about having control over my machine. I like to choose what I update and when. I also don't want something auto installing/updating itself without my knowledge. I use my machine for work every single day so keeping things stable, secure and predictable is important for me.
Makes sense, thanks.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
What's the difference if your software updates by itself, or by an app such as Sumo?
I am not going to buy a software to update software. It might be convenient, but it is hardly worth it, to me.
Sometimes I skip updating the software, unless it is like flash or PDF, which could be fixing vulnerabilities.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
OS => automatic
Store apps => automatic
Win32 apps => automatic
Browsers => automatic
Steam games => automatic
Portable apps => manual
Android apps => manual
iOS apps => manual
Console => automatic
TV => automatic
Cast/FireTV => automatic

ParaXY

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
I have locked my machine down now so that updates can only be done using SUMo manually. I have also disabled checking/installing of updates in each app where I can.

Interestingly, despite doing this in PotPlayer, every time I launch PotPlayer, it attempts to make a few connections to various internet addresses. I'm not even launching a video, just opening the app. Telemetry I guess.

ParaXY

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
Why does systemsettings.exe try to connect to the internet every time I go in Settings?

Reactions: AtlBo

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014

Well, SUMo doesn't actually update your softwares it just checks if there are updates available for them.

Don't know if this is true. But Heimdal has an article in which they claimed updating through their software is safer.

Security Alert: Criminals Slip Backdoor in CCleaner to Spread Malware

-Details about the CCleaner update delivered through Heimdal products

"The way Heimdal delivers the patch does not also involve executing any code. Therefore the backdoor is never opened. In the case of the CCleaner patch, no malicious connections were made."

ParaXY

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
I think the free version of SUMo checks if there is an update available only. This is perfect for me as I will usually download the update from the developers website, check the hash, check its digitally signed and possibly upload to VirusTotal if I am still feeling unsure.

I don't want anything automatically updated except for Firefox and Chrome.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I am not going to buy a software to update software. It might be convenient, but it is hardly worth it, to me.
Sometimes I skip updating the software, unless it is like flash or PDF, which could be fixing vulnerabilities.
SUMo is freeware

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Only paid version auto-updates (probably), free version just notifies about updates.
I used Sumo before, but 5 clicks with ADs just to get to the download link is too much.
Simply check if your software need updating with SUMo. And then go the developer's website yourself and download it.

Reactions: CyberTech

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I allow the program to automatically download the updates but prompt me before updating. This gives me the notification of a new update but a chance to take a look at the update before allowing it on my system

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.