App Review Do you need antivirus on your phone?

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Do you need antivirus on your phone?

• Yes

Votes: 20 36.4%
  • No

Votes: 31 56.4%
  • I'll give it a try

Votes: 4 7.3%

• Total voters
Content created by
The PC Security Channel

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Mobile Threat Defense is required for enterprise. Now let me clarify...

Mobile devices can be remotely hacked or rooted.

Pegasus and other mobile malware can be installed as a kernel module or other app.

Man in the middle attacks from stingrays and rouge AP's.

There are only a handful of solutions that can identify or prevent these high scale attacks.

So mobile Threat Defense is required for some. At least you'll know that your phone has been popped then ditch the device.
?? need more clarification, what is mobile (Mobile) Threat Defense? Sounds like an app, not seeing it in apple iphone app store. fwiw, in the op video, I could not make out what app Leo was suggesting. went back to video more than once, sounded like mumbling to me??

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
Amateur hour security videos by people no one cares about with zero credibility with click bait titles to drive viewers.

Turning off may defeat Google/Apple tracking your connection to Wi-Fi networks but does little for security and really disables a much-needed service.
When @Sammo recommended this video, to turn off the WIFI when we are out of the house, and keep connected on the VPN whenever possible, I enjoyed and watch the video he recommended, more I believe he did from the heart, I appreciate it. Any member here on MT, who made a recommendation I watch the video and enjoy it, if it doesn't serve me what was said in the video I disregard it and move on, harm it won't do. I am just clarifying and don't get me wrong I am not meaning to offend you.(y)

Sammo

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 27, 2012
When @Sammo recommended this video, to turn off the WIFI when we are out of the house, and keep connected on the VPN whenever possible, I enjoyed and watch the video he recommended, more I believe he did from the heart, I appreciate it. Any member here on MT, who made a recommendation I watch the video and enjoy it, if it doesn't serve me what was said in the video I disregard it and move on, harm it won't do. I am just clarifying and don't get me wrong I am not meaning to offend you.(y)
Yes. And my response to the criticism of that video was meant as sarcasm for sure. I personally like Liron's stuff for the most part.

Last edited:

Sandbox Breaker

Level 9
Well-known
Jan 6, 2022
?? need more clarification, what is mobile (Mobile) Threat Defense? Sounds like an app, not seeing it in apple iphone app store. fwiw, in the op video, I could not make out what app Leo was suggesting. went back to video more than once, sounded like mumbling to me??
Mobile threat defence is not an app. It's the concept of total mobile defense from OS, network and apps. Seems like only enterprise have the options. I don't recommend security on iOS except for certain individuals. Android depending on user could benefit.

It's a very mixed bag. I am an enterprise guy so I might be bias as hell :)

Reactions: simmerskool

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

entropism

Level 4
Verified
Jul 30, 2019
This question, reasonably keeps coming up, my Samsung phone came with Knox security built in and try as I have to remove it, only by rooting my phone can it be accomplished which I won't do. I read an article here at MT''s recently explaining that you really don't need an AV due to Googles built in security but be damned if I could find it so I'll post the last post of a good thread I did find on the subject.

If you think KNOX is an antivirus or needs to be disabled, you truly don't know what KNOX is.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
If you think KNOX is an antivirus or needs to be disabled, you truly don't know what KNOX is.
I do now thanks to your push, Knox is a software assisted, hardware based security platform that can not be removed although I think it's debatable that it's not an antivirus, it isn't an antivirus that is commonly spoken of here in the forum and I would not be comfortable installing an antivirus software on top of it. I use my phone to talk only so I do feel safe enough as it is. I still vote no.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I do now thanks to your push, Knox is a software assisted, hardware based security platform that can not be removed although I think it's debatable that it's not an antivirus, it isn't an antivirus that is commonly spoken of here in the forum and I would not be comfortable installing an antivirus software on top of it. I use my phone to talk only so I do feel safe enough as it is. I still vote no.
On my Samsung JV3 I have Digital Secure powered by McAfee, which includes 3 modules: web security, privacy and wifi security. Nice to have a little protection on the rare occasion I surf the web. Could care less about the other 2. Otherwise, no need for another AV.

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
On my Samsung JV3 I have Digital Secure powered by McAfee, which includes 3 modules: web security, privacy and wifi security. Nice to have a little protection on the rare occasion I surf the web. Could care less about the other 2. Otherwise, no need for another AV.
I believe most Samsung phones have McAfee installed, especially Samsung's S line, it's just hidden.(y)

Last edited:

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
Yes, I know what Knox is, I have a samsung device and it has Knox. What I find interesting about the Knox environment is that you can install banking apps, password manager and other sensitive data, isolating it from the other apps you use on a daily basis.;)

TedCruz

Level 5
Aug 19, 2022
It is a complex topic not just because of many different views, and I will be honest here with Leo's video. I watched it, and also liked it because he felt much less all over the place. More calm/adult and less giggle. He's in most parts correct with his assessments in this video, but also forgot mention a huge problem specific many females have on their phones and not just adults. Stalkingware.

That's a very serious problem that ain't automatic solved by any AV or the phones built-in protection no matter what OS. Many times the victim knows/suspect there's something wrong, but is too scared to even ask for help. We had genuine cases on this forum.

GData has a compressive guide on it with some good advice.
yes I would immensely highlight stalkingware, and also add my 2cents about installing an apple tag alert software on your phone that alerts you to unauthorized apple tags within your vicinity. Even though I am not a female or any other of the 62 genders, I do have installed on my phone a BT Tag scanner called AirGuard....my phone is a google phone. I installed it just for my own opsec.

Additionally, if you live in a dangerous part of town, I would recommend installing an app like Citizen or something similar to that. The app alerts you to any crime activity within your vicinity and allows you to send out "watch me and follow me" request to your safe contacts just in case you venture into an area that might not be safe.

Reactions: vtqhtr413

entropism

Level 4
Verified
Jul 30, 2019
I think it's debatable that it's not an antivirus, it isn't an antivirus that is commonly spoken of here in the forum

I mean, it's not "debatable" that it's an antivirus, in the same way that it's not debatable that an apple isn't a hamburger. It's not an antivirus. At all.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.