App Review Do you need antivirus on your phone?

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Do you need antivirus on your phone?

• Yes

Votes: 20 36.4%
  • No

Votes: 31 56.4%
  • I'll give it a try

Votes: 4 7.3%

• Total voters
Content created by
The PC Security Channel

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
In an ideal world If you keep Android updated with security patches and browse with common sense, don't click on links or answer spam calls and download reputable apps from the Play store then no you don't need anti-virus. Android is pretty good with security these days; updates are regular now and exploit companies pay more for Android exploits than Apple these days which says something.

There are so many 'what ifs' and 'maybes' in mobile security it's hard to judge. AV is still good for stopping the low hanging fruit but for more advanced exploits/malware/target attacks they are always hard to stop no matter what device or operating system.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
This question, reasonably keeps coming up, my Samsung phone came with Knox security built in and try as I have to remove it, only by rooting my phone can it be accomplished which I won't do. I read an article here at MT''s recently explaining that you really don't need an AV due to Googles built in security but be damned if I could find it so I'll post the last post of a good thread I did find on the subject.

Last edited:

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
It is a complex topic not just because of many different views, and I will be honest here with Leo's video. I watched it, and also liked it because he felt much less all over the place. More calm/adult and less giggle. He's in most parts correct with his assessments in this video, but also forgot mention a huge problem specific many females have on their phones and not just adults. Stalkingware.

That's a very serious problem that ain't automatic solved by any AV or the phones built-in protection no matter what OS. Many times the victim knows/suspect there's something wrong, but is too scared to even ask for help. We had genuine cases on this forum.

GData has a compressive guide on it with some good advice.

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
I found it to be overwhelmgly unecessary on a modern iPhone. The OS is so extremely locked down, every app sandboxed and signed, no permission to download from outside the app store which gets vetted. I'm more worried about all the fake antiviruses and free VPNs in the app store that steal your data ironically.

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
I don't use it because on iPhone there is none but my mother uses Kaspersky for Android that I installed for her.

The use of an AV on mobile, certainly it depends on the person....sauf that on Google Play, it can have malware too (we remember Joker, Triada or Xhelper ...)
They are certainly removed, but are present before the removal by Google.

There is also the installation of apk that can also be dangerous. Whether it is a modified Mod (a paid app or an application that makes changes to Whatsapp), we are not safe from having a Trojan Banker on Android ...

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
Frankly, I have about 10 apps installed from the outside, I think you know what I mean, so I have two antivirus (Eset and Malwarebytes), also VirusTotal and Jotti's malware scan for manual apk checking, but if not that, I'm not sure I need antivirus for phone :)

I have about some apps that I use a lot, those are social networking, office apps and messengers, I'm completely confident in those safity

The other thing is that I have a program that blocks calls and sms from spammers and scammers, this is very relevant for Israel, where I am now, and also just necessary for a true introvert who feel pain the extra time to answer the phone.:cry:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Using AVG internet security on every family device, low costs (1,5 eur / year/ 10 users)

Personally i dont need such antivirus apps, but nowadays phones can handle battery problems very well and there is more benefits than downsides with using the antivirus for me, so i dont see reason to not use it

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
I will add one more thing. I'm not so worried about sketchy apps or criminal malware infesting my device. To be honest I would worry more about the level of access Google and Apple and any other device manufacturer have into your mobile. They can just ship an update without any warning with little to no documentation or zero information about what's been fixed and what's been updated related to security.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I found it to be overwhelmgly unecessary on a modern iPhone. The OS is so extremely locked down, every app sandboxed and signed, no permission to download from outside the app store which gets vetted. I'm more worried about all the fake antiviruses and free VPNs in the app store that steal your data ironically.
Agree. I have apple mac mini running macOS, and had reason to talk to higher level apple tech once upon a time, and apple only suggests Malwarebytes on macOS, and moving on-topic to iphone iOS, Malwarebytes says: "Due to security restrictions on iOS, it is not possible for any app to scan the system or other apps for malware. Apps are not allowed those kinds of permissions, and for that reason, antivirus software on iOS is not possible." So what is meant by scanning for Pegasus? Apparently, you create a backup of iOS and maybe you can scan the backup, but even then at most you get a hint of a suspicion that there might be malware (or something like that). Various iOS security apps may have a feature you like, but do not provide protection like you think of it on Windows.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
I would recommend to at least use a vpn at all times and to turn off wifi in public in most places. Check this video:

Amateur hour security videos by people no one cares about with zero credibility with click bait titles to drive viewers.

Turning off may defeat Google/Apple tracking your connection to Wi-Fi networks but does little for security and really disables a much-needed service.

Sandbox Breaker

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 6, 2022
Mobile Threat Defense is required for enterprise. Now let me clarify...

Mobile devices can be remotely hacked or rooted.

Pegasus and other mobile malware can be installed as a kernel module or other app.

Man in the middle attacks from stingrays and rouge AP's.

There are only a handful of solutions that can identify or prevent these high scale attacks.

So mobile Threat Defense is required for some. At least you'll know that your phone has been popped then ditch the device.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221127-122241.png
    Screenshot_20221127-122241.png
    141.8 KB · Views: 85

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.