Advice Request Do you prefer Desktop VPN client or browser extension?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Do you prefer native VPN client or browser extension?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
1-Extension don't hide Ports from ISP but VPN hides them.
2-the website you visit know you are using a proxy(depend on what type of proxy you are using transparent anonymous and elite)but for VPN it's harder to detect.
3-Proxy dont Encrypt your connection(only https proxy do that)
4-Proxy only protect your browser (if it's encrypted) but vpn protect your whole network
5=proxy is faster than VPN
I use both.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You can use both for the Double-hop feature found in some VPN clients. I know Windscribe offer this, but requires both client and extension, on supported OSes and browsers.

Browser extensions are easier to install and use.
Desktop clients need to run at boot (for max. effectiveness), may need configuring, and a login with the service provider.

I don't use a VPN on Windows.

D

Deleted member 178

both because i use 1 VPN for the browser (Windscribe) when i just need a quick IP change and another for the system when i do serious stuff :p

P.s: an NO, don't ask me which VPN i use for the system, it is secret and i don't want the FBI/CIA/NSA flag me hahahaha

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Apr 27, 2018
Doesn't this affect online gaming (PC/Console) and movie streaming (TV/Mobile)?
Nope, not at all.

Maybe with a poor Router or bad VPN service...

I have noticed zero difference & every connected device to my wifi is instantly VPN protected (without their knowledge lol)

So yep, my Amazon Prime Video & even Nintendo Switch all runs under the VPN without any issues of streaming, gaming lag or otherwise.

My internet is under 40mb but pings remain <20

This is by far the best option, as Laptops, Phones, Gaming devices or tablets all run under your VPN with no added software or security settings needed - Just connect to Wifi as normal & BAM! - off you go. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Definitely prefer Desktop client, the browser extensions are very prone to DNS and/or IP leakage. Plus some don't offer good protection.

~LDogg

Reactions: harlan4096
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.