Advice Request Do you think that Desktop PC's will cease to exist, due to smartphones?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Do you think that Desktop PC's will cease to exist, due to smartphones?

• Yes

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • No

Votes: 61 93.8%
  • Other (Specify in thread)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TRS-80

Level 1
Aug 16, 2019
I voted no. That's for the foreseeable future anyhow.

Trying to perform many of the tasks I currently perform on, mainly laptops these days, I have yet to find a smartphone that will deliver.

We need a few good leaps in technology before I see Desktops & Laptops disappearing from the market.

Bearing the above in mind, the changes computing has undergone in the last 40+ years, maybe I should make my vote a “tentative yes.”

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
No. Desktop usage will reduce more and more as the time goes on but there are several tasks smartphones are incapable of doing. Smartphones aren't powerful enough to run several applications like editing, developer and other tools. Even gaming or creating and managing documents. And even leaving professionals and power users aside, smartphones are weak in several aspects in basic usages like watching videos and browsing itself. Watching videos in small screens will never compare to larger screens, Unless someone invents a portable 27 inch 8K screen that plugs into your phone and then folds to the size of a hanky when you're done using it like @plat1098 mentioned.
Extension support isn't even available in most smartphone browsers and where its available its vastly inferior. Dominant browser like Chrome is without extension support since Google doesn't want you to block ads and tracking and download youtube videos. You can't even use a proper firewall, systemwide adblocker and vpn all 3 at the same time unless you root. While Apple's platform is even more restrictive. So unless these two make their OS more open, or some ultra open smartphone platform arises from somewhere and becomes dominant, smartphones will be vastly inferior in several basic tasks let alone powerful tasks.

paulderdash

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
I will always prefer the precision of a mouse, with a laptop.
Phone is way more clunky, just complementary and convenient for calls, some apps on the move (WhatsApp, weather, etc.).
Phone is only a preference for moms and masses who don't, or can't afford or use both.
My pet hate is those who try and force mobile apps above desktop interface on everyone, to satisfy the latter.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Yes, but not to smartphones only, but to all smart devices. MS knows it, so Windows is already migrating to more friendly apps environment.
PC is considered to be an enemy and it is somewhat right, when you sit in a uncomfortable position for hours. The comparison is obvious.

download.jpgdownload (1).jpg

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
As long as you have gamers and new more demanding games that need high end gear to run desktops will always be there,Same case with high end gaming laptops....! Same goes for video and photo production...you cant use a smartphone!

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Yes, but not to smartphones only, but to all smart devices. MS knows it, so Windows is already migrating to more friendly apps environment.
PC is considered to be an enemy and it is somewhat right, when you sit in a uncomfortable position for hours. The comparison is obvious.

View attachment 230644View attachment 230646

Yes, quantum computing could transform the desktop and other devices into quaint museum pieces!

"Wait a minute! "How can I be in two places at once?" Maybe this > Quantum computer made from photons

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Some years ago I remember desk PC's were called 'unneeded boxes on desks' disparagingly on a well known UK tech forum for example & were expected to fade away as touch screens became available, MS in their infinite wisdom (idiots) with Windows 8 seemed to feel that way too? I feel things have changed, I have an iPad, lappy & iPhone Plus but nothing compares to using a 32" display.

When folk call in there is always some reason or another for them to use this desktop (enter shadow defender) Of course space limitations etc may mean a desktop isn't viable - With me @ 60 years a large screen is helpful as i can use it without contacts or glasses. Good to see people still using desk PC's. One thing that IMO has causes sales to fall is that updating your PC when a new version of Windows arrived is not need any longer (it used to be) & a 5 years old or more PC can happily run 10 & the advantage of desk PC's are graphics PSU's, displays, USB's etc can be easily updated.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.