Do you think this basic protection setup will be okay?

Tani

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Nov 25, 2014
Guys! Hope everyone is safe & sound. What I want to discuss is that if I get ci3 & don't want to install heavy security setup for performance & or power reasons do you think following setup is going to work?

Windows Defender
Windows Firewall
MBAM Premium (Real time protection / website protection)
USB Disk Security (For Removable Autorun Viruses)
CCleaner (For PC Optimization (On Manual Mode))
Ghostery & Adblock Plus in Chrome 40 64bit
Windows 7 64bit

Will perform emsisoft emergency kit scan or sophos virus removal scan once I set my laptop the way I want & start using it for my tasks.
I'll basically use social networking & emails check on it besides my assignments of programming & simulations.
I do not try random apps, just install my required programs manually downloaded from their official sites. I'm pretty good with social engineering myself so I do not fall in it.

Reactions: omidomi

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
Install NAV :D
i suggest use a fast AV (if you want paid) use eset.(if you want free)use qihoo.
combine MBAM+Windows defender is heavier than install eset or norton or qihoo...

Reactions: Tani

Tani

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Nov 25, 2014
Install NAV :D
i suggest use a fast AV (if you want paid) use eset.(if you want free)use qihoo.
combine MBAM+Windows defender is heavier than install eset or norton or qihoo...
I've eset in my current laptop I should consider qihoo in ci3, I always wanted to try this ;)
Edit: in that case I'll have to disable realtime protection in mbam, do you want to suggest this bro?

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Guys! Hope everyone is safe & sound. What I want to discuss is that if I get ci3 & don't want to install heavy security setup for performance & or power reasons do you think following setup is going to work?

Windows Defender
Windows Firewall
Windows 7 64bit

Will perform emsisoft emergency kit scan or sophos virus removal scan once I set my laptop the way I want & start using it for my tasks.
I'll basically use social networking & emails check on it besides my assignments of programming & simulations.
I do not try random apps, just install my required programs manually downloaded from their official sites. I'm pretty good with social engineering myself so I do not fall in it.
If you are using your mind before an Antivirus, and don't visit suspicious websites (with probability to infect yourself with some real Zero-Day Malware) you would be okay with those security programs you've mentioned above.
I know a lot of people which never got infection and used only Windows built in security programs. Of course Windows 8 is more secure than Windows 7, because of better Windows Defender and having Windows Smart Screen.
Also, keep your USB Disk Security for just in case, but disable autorun in Windows.

Reactions: omidomi and Tani

Tani

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Nov 25, 2014
If you are using your mind before an Antivirus, and don't visit suspicious websites (with probability to infect yourself with some real Zero-Day Malware) you would be okay with those security programs you've mentioned above.
I know a lot of people which never got infection and used only Windows built in security programs. Of course Windows 8 is more secure than Windows 7, because of better Windows Defender and having Windows Smart Screen.
Also, keep your USB Disk Security for just in case, but disable autorun in Windows.
Thanks a lot bro, helpful response ;) as I've windows 8.1 already installed & have license of windows 7 that's why want to use it while will be having something different on that laptop ;)

Reactions: BoraMurdar

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
I've eset in my current laptop I should consider qihoo in ci3, I always wanted to try this ;)
Edit: in that case I'll have to disable realtime protection in mbam, do you want to suggest this bro?
MBAM detection is better than windows Defender :D
but if you have good common sense about viruses and threats they are enough bro ;)

Tani

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Nov 25, 2014
MBAM detection is better than windows Defender :D
but if you have good common sense about viruses and threats they are enough bro ;)
Mbam never disappointed me had tried emsisoft as well but didn't like it :p yup defender doesn't worth much :D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Windows Defender
Windows Firewall
Windows 7 64bit

Why Windows Defender? Disable and replace with an Antivirus, Microsoft Security Essentials is superior for Windows 7.

Install Service Pack 1 for Windows 7, as it's important and can be found via Windows Updates.
Microsoft Security Essentials + Windows Firewall + User Access Control
For on-demanding scanning you can use Malwarebytes Free (save on resources) and any others, but ESET Online Scanner is very good also.
Restrict your browser with Sandboxie Free, http://sandboxie.com

Simple and Secure.

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
Why Windows Defender? Disable and replace with an Antivirus, Microsoft Security Essentials is superior for Windows 7.

Install Service Pack 1 for Windows 7, as it's important and can be found via Windows Updates.
Microsoft Security Essentials + Windows Firewall + User Access Control
For on-demanding scanning you can use Malwarebytes Free (save on resources) and any others, but ESET Online Scanner is very good also.
Restrict your browser with Sandboxie Free, http://sandboxie.com

Simple and Secure.

Really good advice worth taking considering how awful the win 7 version of Windows Defender is.:(

Regards Eck:)

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
You don't have to disable MBam realtime it works with all av's;)

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
MBAM is pretty heavy realtime in my experience
Depends on what you consider heavy, mine is using around 110 mb's but my system experiences no lag whatsoever, but all systems are different.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Actually its a very fine standard configuration, no more such complications and headache even the performance. It will work for a very long time with your consciousness awareness/common sense/correct logical thinking n dealing both online and offline. :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.