Advice Request Do you trust AdGuard?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tempnexus

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 25, 2015
Now that AdGuard has released an android HTTPS scanner which requires you to trust their certificate then do you honestly trust AdGuard? I mean they are Russian so it's like trusting the USA or the Chinese with your information.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Now that AdGuard has released an android HTTPS scanner which requires you to trust their certificate then do you honestly trust AdGuard? I mean they are Russian so it's like trusting the USA or the Chinese with your information.
Are you asking specifically in regards to their Android app, or all their software, including desktop and browser extensions?

I use the browser extensions of Adguard Adblocker and have no reason to not trust them. Kaspersky and Dr. Web are also Russian-based companies, do you trust them?

Reactions: above
Upvote 0
A

above

I trust Adguard without a doubt. If we add a computer at home we add another lifetime license. I consider it a security software and I only use two. I don't see anything wrong with you asking though, for any reason.

Upvote 0

Tempnexus

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 25, 2015
What country has to do with a product? Wait are you serious?
How about I forbid to grand you a business operating lic unless you allow/whitelist or collect XYZ from KYD? I have spent a lot of time in the Eastern block nations back in the 80's so I know the modus operandi that was used before...I don't know and I can't say that it's used currently. But in the past, the secret of conducting any successful business in Eastern Block nations included bribes, corruption and resultant line cutting...basically current day Brazil.

I don't trust any company from any nation. Especially if they are intercepting HTTPS...however being from the USA and knowing that I have already disclosed everything to my own government by being it's citizen then I have nothing to hide from USA. Now, I don't want to expose myself to every other nation. One nation is enough.

I mean ok, you might say that I am paranoid and I probably am (or else I would not be on this site), but then again if one were to say that then why even use HTTPS why not conduct financial and personal transactions in plain text?

EDIT:

Case in point:
Baidu for Windows and Android, leak Sensitive Data and GPS Coordinates

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tempnexus

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 25, 2015
Thank you AVATAR and I fully appreciate the info!
This is part of me doing my homework. The reason for this thread is for me to aggregate enough info and arrive at a solution. No need for duplication of effort hence I asked here.
I have two lifetime LIC with your company and I like it very much. However, I always, always question anything that acts as a MITM for HTTPS traffic...I mean I don't trust my own SOPHOS UTM to inject HTTPS cert in order to scan my HTTPS traffic. For me HTTPS is the last line of sacred privacy on the net or at least the last line for any financial and PII function. If that is intercepted and translated by a MITM certificate then one has to first question the certificate issuer before it's allowed.

Last edited:
Reactions: avatar
Upvote 0

Morvotron

Level 7
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
A thing I can assure you is nor Adguard nor Google will release your information to the public or will hack your accounts. If they access to your personal information such as pictures or documents, it's another thing. They probably do, in order to let their functions work or in their daily data collection.

Once again, they won't give it to hackers. Now you have two things to worry about:

-If you have things to hide, illegal or things you shouldn't have, then uninstall every Windows software you have. Pretty much every company releases the information to the Government if the law requires it, supported by a federal, national or international crime / suspicion.

-If a software company has an interesting data collection policy, then be sure it's a good quality company. It is known of cases where data has been intercepted by hackers because of poor security or outdated databases. Make sure your data is encrypted and is transfered with the required security measures.

Upvote 0

Tempnexus

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 25, 2015
I have nothing illegal on my system (except for the true Identity of the person who shot Kennedy and the location of Jimmy Hoffa's body) so I don't fear for that. What I fear for is accidental information disclosures, or database hacks/leaks.
I also want to have a feeling of at least some privacy control...the main reason I want to use AdGuard in the first place.

Reactions: Morvotron
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

I also want to have a feeling of at least some privacy control...the main reason I want to use AdGuard in the first place.

There is no such thing as "privacy control" on any softwares. To have it is to be able to pinpoint and then recode the software and remove every code lines related to data collection. If those lines are present, it means the company needs the collection (whatever the reason), so they won't allow you to disable it. Your only choice is to ask yourself " does the software needs internet connections?" , if no, then you just have to block its connections via the firewall.

Reactions: hjlbx
Upvote 0

From ADGuard
Verified
Developer
May 23, 2014
However, I always, always question anything that acts as a MITM for HTTPS traffic...I mean I don't trust my own SOPHOS UTM to inject HTTPS cert in order to scan my HTTPS traffic. For me HTTPS is the last line of sacred privacy on the net or at least the last line for any financial and PII function. If that is intercepted and translated by a MITM certificate then one has to first question the certificate issuer before it's allowed.

You are fully right, it is important indeed. That's why we don't eager to filter everything and provide a huge default https exceptions list.

By the way, if you have anything to add, please report it here:
Default HTTPs exceptions list · Issue #911 · AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows · GitHub

The problem with HTTPS is that it is no more used for security purposes. Nowadays anybody can grab a security certificate for free. Ad networks are also using https now, therefore, we have no other choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Azure
Upvote 0

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
To be honest I trust more any Russian company than US based ones. I am using Adguard, Yandex services (including their DNS) and I still haven't been visited by GRU or OMON early in the morning :D, so I'll keep using them and recommend them to my friends.

Reactions: Rishi
Upvote 0

Tempnexus

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 25, 2015
To be honest I trust more any Russian company than US based ones. I am using Adguard, Yandex services (including their DNS) and I still haven't been visited by GRU or OMON early in the morning :D, so I'll keep using them and recommend them to my friends.
Yeah but if you were in Latvia and if you even posted a picture of a potato even a finger paint picture of a potato then Politburo will be at your door, rape your wife, kill your sister and change the picture of a potato to a rock.

Upvote 0

Tempnexus

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 25, 2015
You are fully right, it is important indeed. That's why we don't eager to filter everything and provide a huge default https exceptions list.

By the way, if you have anything to add, please report it here:
Default HTTPs exceptions list · Issue #911 · AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows · GitHub

The problem with HTTPS is that it is no more used for security purposes. Nowadays anybody can grab a security certificate for free. Ad networks are also using https now, therefore, we have no other choice.
Yeah I have few financial institutions that will need to be added. (Smaller Credit Union type deals)

Thank you

Edit: Yes, sadly HTTPS has not became the major ad pusher since most ad blockers bypass that stream. (Looking at you yahoo and your stupid https...they started a trend about 4 years ago)

Upvote 0

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
Personally, with regard to privacy and security, I think things like a country's human rights record, government imposed media censorship, lack of democracy etc, are things that should be considered when using products of companies from such countries. Not just Russia but plenty of other countries too. That's why, for instance, I don't use IObit products. They may be perfectly fine, but I choose not to use them for the above reasons.

Upvote 0

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Could we not continue discussion with countries comparisons?

There is nothing wrong with US or RU countries for that matter.

Even with Chinese.

Just because those countries have history behind certain issues, doesnt mean any company based from such countries are automatically bad/untrusty.

Please lets all keep it civil and clean.

Upvote 0

From ADGuard
Verified
Developer
May 23, 2014
Edit: Yes, sadly HTTPS has not became the major ad pusher since most ad blockers bypass that stream. (Looking at you yahoo and your stupid https...they started a trend about 4 years ago)

In fact, the one who pushes it is Google. They are doing lots of things to push site owners towards using https. For instance, https websites now gain an advantage in search ranking.

Of course encryption is a good thing. It's just not a security matter anymore.

The days when malware sniffed your web traffic are past. This was too complex and required certain skill. Why bother with it now? Browsers have done everything for them already, it is so much easier to make a browser extension.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tempnexus

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 25, 2015
The days when malware sniffed your web traffic are past. This was too complex and required certain skill. Why bother with it now? Browsers have done everything for them already, it is so much easier to make a browser extension.

Tell me about it soo many new to the store web extensions...and not like anyone ever reads the permission page....ooh this "make your internet pink" web extensions needs a keyboard inject to read my keystrokes....meah, let's do it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.