Advice Request Do you trust AdGuard?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tempnexus

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 25, 2015
Now that AdGuard has released an android HTTPS scanner which requires you to trust their certificate then do you honestly trust AdGuard? I mean they are Russian so it's like trusting the USA or the Chinese with your information.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
One can't be 100% sure what is fully trusting or not, I trust Adguard enough to use, because there's not enough proof not to.

An example, like (Google) or whatnot enjoys your privacy or tracks you unless settings changed, but I do think other American founded search engine (Duck Duck Go) respects it.

I think the truth comes out, and any shady behaviour gets caught most of the time. So it depends if you want to use it or not.

I really use WiseCare often and its my favorite clean tool.... I choose to accept its Chinese origins, until warned not to.

Upvote 0
N

Noxx

It wouldn't surprise me if it siphons away computer information, but what program doesn't? It does precisely what it's advertised to do -- keep my browser running fast and devoid of ads. That's all that matters to me.

Upvote 0

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Yes. So far they haven't done anything to make me thing they could be untrustworthy.

Last edited:
Reactions: OokamiCreed
Upvote 0

Maxxx58

Level 13
Verified
Dec 20, 2014
gvvkOnx.png

Upvote 0

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
A common sense approach to this is to "do your homework" so you can make an informed decision, and not just download any software based on their "promise" to keep you safe.
We on the consumer end of things have this obligation to seek the truth, weather it be by diligent research or requesting assistance from knowledgeable folks like the ones here at MalwareTips.
The rest is just trial and error, Jamescv7 says it very well,,
Quote " its a matter reliability how program should treat fairly and Adguard as example is you can trust because of their good background information. " End
Advertisements and or promotional ads are designed to do one thing " separate you form your money " many companies will promise you whatever it is they believe you want to hear to accomplish that goal weather its founded on honesty or not "
Soooo, Do your homework :)
PeAcE

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WildByDesign

Level 1
Verified
Jan 24, 2016
Personally, I have been extremely pleased with Adguard (Windows version) since I purchased a lifetime licence. I have found the developers to be very helpful and they have always been open to listening to feedback from their users which is also important. I would not worry so much over country of origin; it comes down to the individual developers in my opinion.

Upvote 0

From ADGuard
Verified
Developer
May 23, 2014
@frogboy
@_CyberGhosT_ has a point. If you want to be 100% sure it is always better to check everything on your own.

We take privacy issues very seriously and trying to be as open as possible, so it should not be hard.
Anyway, some useful information below. Also I am here and can answer any question about what we do.

Privacy policy
Adguard: Privacy policy

Company info
Performix: contacts and company information

How to check what is really being sent from your device
Here is a huge instruction on how to use tcpdump on Android:
Monitoring Android Network Traffic Part I: Installing The Toolchain
Monitoring Android Network Traffic Part II: Cross Compiling TCPDUMP
Monitoring Android Network Traffic Part III: Installing & Executing TCPDUMP
Monitoring Android Network Traffic Part IV: Forwarding To Wireshark

However, it won't be easy to understand which app this traffic belongs to. So instead you can simply decompile AG and look inside. It is android after all, pretty hard to hide anything when you code in java.

Upvote 0
H

hjlbx

Now that AdGuard has released an android HTTPS scanner which requires you to trust their certificate then do you honestly trust AdGuard? I mean they are Russian so it's like trusting the USA or the Chinese with your information.

This is ridiculous. Because the company is Russian-based that means they are doing something malicious or they are somehow doing things Soviet style ?

Hypothetically, if all the staff were of Swiss nationality, but their office were based in Moscow, would that make a difference ?

I have looked closely at Adguard and made careful observations of interactions with Adguard staff.

Everything so far has been nothing but above-board.

Until proven otherwise, Adguard is a trustworthy company.

Upvote 0
H

hjlbx

However, it won't be easy to understand which app this traffic belongs to. So instead you can simply decompile AG and look inside. It is android after all, pretty hard to hide anything when you code in java.

I hear you @avatar, but 99.9 % of typical users - even if they manage to decompile AG - wont' even know what they are looking at. :D

Any how, most users don't know that they can decompile a soft to check the code - let alone decipher it.

I gotta tell ya @avatar - I'm a bit embarrassed by this thread.

+1 for @avatar for his calm and collected response.

Reactions: avatar and Rishi
Upvote 0

From ADGuard
Verified
Developer
May 23, 2014
I hear you @avatar, but 99.9 % of typical users - even if they manage to decompile AG - wont' even know what they are looking at. :D

Yeah, that's true. However there is a 0.01% of those who can do it and then share their findings. I've done it a couple of times myself, since then I don't use any battery saving software:)

Upvote 0
H

hjlbx

Yeah, that's true. However there is a 0.01% of those who can do it and then share their findings. I've done it a couple of times myself, since then I don't use any battery saving software:)

No batteries needed... :D

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.