• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
I think its a big word Trust
But still I ask,do you trust Unthreat Products and can you install it on your main system.
If Not what are the reasons behind it.

I have given it a test on my pc and find its wonderful in all means,maybe it protection,usability or tweaking and lightness.

http://www.unthreat.com/

P.S. My Question is Mainly for Paid version as I know Avast free is better option in free category.

Thanks

firestr001

Level 2
Jul 22, 2012
I trust it as the reviews found on the net are good and it has been from a long time and it is a partner of Microsoft.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
P.S. My Question is Mainly for Paid version as I know Avast free is better option in free category.

Since UnThreat uses VIPRE AV engine, I would rather trust using VIPRE instead.

UnThreat is a very shady company whereas GFI is more trustworthy.

it has been from a long time and it is a partner of Microsoft
Any company can become a Microsoft partner if they pay their fees, it really means nothing since I have found many rogue companies with Microsoft partnerships.

Thanks.:D

DrBeenGolfing

Level 1
Verified
Mar 16, 2013
Used it for a couple of months, worked very smoothly. Had PrivateFirewall installed and it didn't report any dialing home or monkey business by UnThreat. I can guarantee you, if they were doing something crooked to users computers, you'd have heard about it in the year they have owned this company. They can make a ton more money offering a good AV than doing something that would land them in jail. And, this is a good AV.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
"Do you Trust Unthreat Software?"

Your question a bit vague, because Trust could mean in terms of securing your PC, or Trust in the company.

Z

ZeroDay

I'm with Littlebits on this, if you want Vipre use Gfi Vipre. UNThreat really can't be trusted in my eyes.

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
Earth said:
"Do you Trust Unthreat Software?"

Your question a bit vague, because Trust could mean in terms of securing your PC, or Trust in the company.

Its simple as that

I should have Trust in Microsoft if I wish to use Windows .

;)

Edit:Just dropped idea to use it although I like its usability/lightness/detection.

DrBeenGolfing

Level 1
Verified
Mar 16, 2013
After figuring out how to get Bitdefender Free running at full speed, I quit using UnThreat, although it works brilliantly.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
When it comes to trusting a product by a company, the company needs to be honest with its users. When a company goes to the extent to hide all of their details from the public then that makes many question how trustworthy that company is.

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, LLC (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: UNTHREAT.COM
Created on: 01-Mar-10
Expires on: 01-Mar-20
Last Updated on: 02-Oct-12

Registrant:
Domains By Proxy, LLC
DomainsByProxy.com
14747 N Northsight Blvd Suite 111, PMB 309
Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
United States

Administrative Contact:
Private, Registration
Domains By Proxy, LLC
DomainsByProxy.com
United States
(480) 624-2599 Fax -- (480) 624-2598

Technical Contact:
Private, Registration
Domains By Proxy, LLC
DomainsByProxy.com
United States
(480) 624-2599 Fax -- (480) 624-2598

Domain servers in listed order:
DNS11.COTDNS.NET
DNS12.COTDNS.NET
DNS13.COTDNS.NET
DNS14.COTDNS.NET

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, LLC (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: VIPREANTIVIRUS.COM
Created on: 17-Jan-08
Expires on: 17-Jan-14
Last Updated on: 14-Feb-13

Registrant:
Threat Track Security
33 N. Garden Ave
Suite 1200
Clearwater, Florida 33755
United States

Administrative Contact:
Hewitt, Chris
Threat Track Security
33 N. Garden Ave
Suite 1200
United States
+1.7275620101

Technical Contact:
Hewitt, Chris
Threat Track Security
33 N. Garden Ave
Suite 1200
United States
+1.7275620101

Domain servers in listed order:
NS1.GFIAVLABS.COM
NS2.GFIAVLABS.COM

I would never trust a company that hides its whois info from the public.
Especially when it has already been known that that same company has been involved and still may be involved with malware distribution. There is no telling what kind of malicious codes could be added to their products that go might not be detected. It is not even known which country UnThreat operates its business from. If it is located in foreign country like China then it would be very hard to take legal actions again them for any wrong illegal activity. Remember the IObit and MBAM issue?

DrBeenGolfing

Level 1
Verified
Mar 16, 2013
Send a letter

UnThreat® Antivirus,
Attn: General Inquiries and Customer Support,
Scandium Security Inc. PO Box 53290,
Cyprus 3301

I still don't see any lawsuits, legal action, police reports, FBI/Justice Dept. action taken anywhere. Not even a negative Better Business Bureau report.
If the above were presented in a court of law, the judge would throw out the case - lack of evidence. Bty - what is the charge?
Viper contact info below. Send Mr. Scott an e-mail and tell him you think his re-branding partners are crooks. See what he says.

From BusinessWeek:

Company Overview of GFI Software Florida Inc.
Snapshot

People
Company Overview

GFI Software Florida Inc. provides IT solutions for small and medium-sized businesses. It offers Web and mail security, archiving, backup and fax, networking and security software, and hosted IT solutions. The company provides antivirus, anti-spam, email archiving, event log management, fax server, network monitoring, portable storage and device control, vulnerability scanning and patch management, Web filtering and security, and systems monitoring solutions; and asset tracking and inventory management, automated maintenance, email security and continuity, frontline defense, managed antivirus, patch management, remote management and monitoring, and cloud and Website monitoring solutions. It ...
Detailed Description

33 North Garden Avenue

Suite 1200

Clearwater, FL 33755

United States

Founded in 1994

Phone:

727-562-0101

Fax:

727-562-5199

www.sunbelt-software.com
Key Executives for GFI Software Florida Inc.
Mr. Walter F. Scott
Chief Executive Officer
Mr. Daniel J. Kossmann
Chief Financial Officer
Mr. Mark Patton
Chief Architect of Enterprise Anti-Spam Software and Vice President of R&D
Mr. Bill Emerick
Senior Vice President of Product & Services
Mr. Eric Sites
Chief Technology Officer
Compensation as of Fiscal Year 2012.
GFI Software Florida Inc. Key Developments
GFI Software Florida Inc. Releases its VIPRE(R) Report
Dec 7 11

GFI Software Florida Inc. released its VIPRE(R) Report, a compilation of the 10 most prevalent threat detections for the previous month. Noteworthy threats in November 2011 included a new Facebook worm; the return of PDF-based malware posing as the U.S. Postal Service; Bank of America and SunTrust Bank phishing scams; and a phony food stamp website. In the days leading up to Thanksgiving in the United States, GFI Labs detected an increase in bank related phishing. Users received emails purporting to originate from SunTrust Bank and Bank of America. Both scams were unique in that they contained an HTML attachment which was actually a form asking for banking login information and even driver's license numbers. Users who doubt the authenticity of an email communication from their bank should call the phone number shown on the back of their issued card to verify.
http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=8057341

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Maybe add in care of iLivid.com (Bandoo Media Inc.)
Bandoo Media Inc.
40 Kimonos St. 3095 Limassol, Cyprus
Tel Number: +1 (917) 732-1834
Fax Number: +1 (917) 732-1833
Email Address: notice@ilivid.com

http://ilivid.com/dmca_policy.php

iLivid is just one of the malware distributed by this company.

Our removal guide for iLivid- http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-ilivid-virus/

I just wonder does UnThreat detect and remove malware created by their own company?

All info found on the web is when UnThreat was owned by AVSoftware but it was bought by Polmont Ventures, Ltd./Bandoo Media Inc. (sub-division of the RIAA) because that info no longer applies.

When GFI Software licensed VIPRE engine to UnThreat it was owned by AVSoftware, now that is not the case. Shortly after Polmont Ventures, Ltd./Bandoo Media Inc. bought UnThreat the whois info got hidden and has remained to be hidden even after they claim they it was bought by another unknown company (Scandium Security Inc.).

They have tried to hide their tracks, what would be a better way to sell security products then to create malware and distribute it across the web?

tapoo

Level 4
Verified
Jan 21, 2012
installed once, but removed next day, as i couldn't trust them FULLY :(

if anyone really like Vipre engine, and want to use it for free, he surely can use Lavasoft Ad-aware Free antivirus, which is trusted....

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I would have to agree with Littlebits. It's like trusting a bank with your money, that has their information private.

DrBeenGolfing

Level 1
Verified
Mar 16, 2013
So, this little company is spreading virus, malware, all over the world, and no other antivirus company can catch them. That makes UnThreat the SMARTEST AV company in the world! Amazing, considering they have to buy their engine and signatures from an American antivirus company.
Also amazing is the fact that the FBI/CIA, NSA, Interpol, Russian intelligence, Microsoft, Google, NO ONE has been able to catch this little company from Cyprus doing all this.
Looks like lillbits is right when he says UnThreat is trying to hide who really owns the company - it's owned by intelligent aliens from another galaxy that are able to go undetected, spreading their outer space stuff.

cHNIOHo.png
[/img]
lYzDDPg.png
[/img]

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
In this post on Wilder's Security Forum there is an original copy of the whois data which links UnThreat to Polmont Ventures, Ltd/Bandoo Media Inc, Discordia Ltd (RIAA).

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2070713&postcount=168

Shortly after this thread was posted UnThreat made their whois info hidden from the public. That is all the proof that most users would ever need.

It is not ethical for any company in the computer security/privacy business to hide their whois data from the public.
You can look up just about any company and it will clearly state whois info unless that company is not trustworthy.

For them using GFI VIPRE AV engine, they were under contract with the original owners AVSoftware when UnThreat was sold. So GFI had to honor that contract but they may not renew the contract after it expires. I'm sure GFI knows that they are a malware distributor but if they pay good money they might go ahead and license their AV engine.

Original developer of UnThreat before it was sold:

AVSoftware Ltd
blvd. Aleksandar Stamboliiski 132, Suite 6A
Sofia 1309
Bulgaria

http://www.softpedia.com/developer/AVSoftware-7349.html
http://download.cnet.com/windows/avsoftware/3260-20_4-6272881.html

DrBeenGolfing

Level 1
Verified
Mar 16, 2013
If they are setting upon all of us all this malware - WHERE ARE THE VICTIMS? Oh right, they put them all on their flying saucer and shipped them back to their home galaxy.
Writing numerous posts accusing this company of criminal acts, such as spreading malware, is exposing malwaretips.com and yourself to legal action. Proof, you offer innuendo, rumor, internet gossip, libel.
Bty - what is a community leader? Are you an officer of this website, owner, official?

libel
  Use Libel in a sentence
li·bel
[lahy-buhl] Show IPA noun, verb, li·beled, li·bel·ing or ( especially British ) li·belled, li·bel·ling.
noun
Law.
a.
defamation by written or printed words, pictures, or in any form other than by spoken words or gestures.
b.
the act or crime of publishing it.
c.
a formal written declaration or statement, as one containing the allegations of a plaintiff or the grounds of a charge.
anything that is defamatory or that maliciously or damagingly misrepresents.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
DrBeenGolfing said:
If they are setting upon all of us all this malware - WHERE ARE THE VICTIMS? Oh right, they put them all on their flying saucer and shipped them back to their home galaxy.
Writing numerous posts accusing this company of criminal acts, such as spreading malware, is exposing malwaretips.com and yourself to legal action. Proof, you offer innuendo, rumor, internet gossip, libel.
Bty - what is a community leader? Are you an officer of this website, owner, official?

libel
  Use Libel in a sentence
li·bel
[lahy-buhl] Show IPA noun, verb, li·beled, li·bel·ing or ( especially British ) li·belled, li·bel·ling.
noun
Law.
a.
defamation by written or printed words, pictures, or in any form other than by spoken words or gestures.
b.
the act or crime of publishing it.
c.
a formal written declaration or statement, as one containing the allegations of a plaintiff or the grounds of a charge.
anything that is defamatory or that maliciously or damagingly misrepresents.

I have not made any accusations I only provided evidence which was available on the web for anyone who wants to find it. That is not illegal.

Why are you so offended by this evidence? are you an Affiliate for UnThreat? is this info hurting your commission?
Become our Affiliate

UnThreat is a new player in the wide security products' field that provides its users with leading technology. Our solutions meet everyone's personal needs – from Free AntiVirus for daily Internet users to an individualized Business Editions for business owners.

Earn up to 50% commission for each sale.

60 days referral period
Receive commission within 60 days of sale
A wide range of banners and text links
Affiliate-only offers, promotions and campaigns
Regular incentives and bonuses
Rewards for top performing partners

It is not your job to defend this company, let them do it.
Let them provide proof that they are not associated with this malware distribution by listing your whois info publicly.

Is it 100% proven that this company is responsible for malware distribution? well no it isn't but this topic of this thread is do you trust them? and if their is any reason at all not to trust them then it should be posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.