Advice Request Do you trust WOT again? - 2017

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows Defender Shill

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2017
Here is a Best Answer from a google product forum:

"When a Chrome extension is removed from the store, the developer of that extension can then submit a new version that doesn't violate the Chrome web store terms. If that new version is ready, they can submit it on his store dashboard page. However, because they violate the Chrome web store program. This extension will also get a manual review by a Google employee, to check if they meet Chrome web store guideline (that takes 48 hours). If OK, then you see the Chrome extension back in the store.

So the Wot Chrome extension is now safe."

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
I tried it recently, and it is very good. They are up front about information now, so I do trust it enough to use it. Trouble is I don't have room for it in Chrome. Using uBlock+UBO Extra, Privacy Badger, and 360 Webshield in Chrome. In FF I would use it if it weren't for Bluhell Firewall. For me, nothing beats Bluhell at straight blocks. It's one of my favorite extensions. Maybe I'll go back to WOT at some point (used it way back in 2012), but don't foresee it for now.

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
I tried it recently, and it is very good. They are up front about information now, so I do trust it enough to use it..
The only reason they are more up front about what they are doing is because they got found out. If they hadn't been exposed then users would never have known that WOT were selling data about them to third parties. I certainly could never trust them again.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Even i leave behind the problem of selling my data i have another problem of using this extension.
Why should i trust this extension when a result about a website's reputation is based on people's opinion.
This seems to me a great chance of FP's. Someone doesn't like a site for whatever reason and he says that a <<bad>> site.
Yeah that's proper reason not to visit this site and trust this extension.
Anyway never used WOT and never will, Adgurd or uBlockO are more than enough for me.

malis2007

Level 2
Verified
Feb 10, 2016
WOT(web of trust) is owned by TOW(trust of web)..
edit: at least that was before they started hiding their whois info :p
i think that they are making fun of us..

-----
EDIT:
here is the link about the TOW thing:
Web of Trust (the second reply to the topic)
and here is a funny topic: (2015)
Web of Trust

and this thing that happened in 2015:
Web of Trust

now they are planning to create a "new" "better" forums..
Web of Trust

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.