Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
I "trust" my ISP.

First, I don't have much of a choice. Second, I don't think I have the power/influence to investigate what they do. And third, I enjoy the services they offer.

I trust them, but I don't just give in with what they ask. If it's okay to say no, then I say no. :)

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

An anonymous report claims to provide evidence that Internet service providers in the UK are spying on their customers, but it's all a question of trust, says Sophie Curtis

No, but I have evidence as to why I shouldn't. But also, talking with other DOCSIS Engineers, you shouldn't trust your ISP either.

My (fairly large) ISP was involved in the NebuAD scandal. A CIA front company, commonly known as PHORM. They routed traffic to appliances that modified packets inserting trackers/ads and gathered extensive telemetry on people without notifying them or providing an OPTOUT. When the CIA folded up NebuAD my ISP switched to Paxfire type technologies to do similar things. My ISP refuses to encrypt even the most simple things, like their email offered to customers. They also use NXDOMAIN redirects to harvest ad-clicks from unsuspecting people. They also host mirrors of common CDN's, DNS and others, mirrors I don't trust to be totally safe so I redirect my traffic to different mirrors outside of their scope.

I use them because they are fast and reliable. But I do not trust them and take precautions against their activities. Room 641A should have been a wakeup call not to trust ANY of these ISPs.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
For anyone living outside (or inside if you weren't aware) the UK, know that ISPs here are legally obligated to retain domain-level browsing history of each individual user for 12 months. They're also duty-bound to aid in the targeted interception of data and communications, and run equipment interference for persons under active investigation.

As for me, I keep a VPN permanently connected. That hopefully answers the trust question.

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
No, my ISP are the biggest load of lying, cheating, shysters that i have ever come across (yes, i hate them but i am in a situation where i have no choice like some other people here) but to be honest, i don't think i would trust any of them, yes i know i am an untrusting person i'm afraid :unsure:

A

antreas

I don't trust them. I even ask them if they check users if they download torrents or spy of any kind and they said no. We are a small island in europe thanks god we are not like USA ISP that sell you out for some more money. Always connected to VPN 24/7 to be sure i am safe from goverment and any other kind of danger.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Yes and No. At&t has arguable the most secure servers I have ever seen. Practically invisible to the Internet and they all use DNSSEC, unspoofable, etc. And I noticed that they have begun to fend off copyright notices and protect their user's privacy so I respect them in that department. On the other hand, they will hand over information on me to the government in a heartbeat if things hit the fan.

L S

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
YES ....... But I Always put a side - 10%-15% - in "Reserve" for who knows what can happen ?!?! .......
....... So it looks like : 85%-90% = YES & : 10%-15% = NO. .......
....... (If anyone can understand me what I mean). - But I Voted - YES. .......

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.