Do you trust your isp ?

Do you trust your isp ?

• Yes

Votes: 24 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 40 62.5%

• Total voters

ISPs are as trustworthy as the stuff that they do that is not in their customers' best interests.

In the United States they are no longer required to protect customer data.

And other stuff...

AT&T, Comcast and Verizon explain that they don't sell your browser history

Some are worse (less trustworthy) than others in that regard.

Search the web. You will find something that you object to.

Look into ISP encryption and VPN use policies. That should set most people off.

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
My boss' ISP here in Germany turned on him legally when he torrented a movie. He got a letter from Fox Entertainement demanding a bill over 2,500 EURO. If you know how this works, FOX Entertainement pays to companies to analyze nodes of this movie sites and they get your IP if you did not use a VPN. Then they go to your ISP and demand your information to send you a sue letter. So do i trust my ISP? Why not if they're so neutral...

P

plat1098

Great service but not trustworthy. There's a "web results powered by Google" on its main page and something funky about my webmail page, very lagging with the keystrokes there. Altice freely admits to harvesting my broadband usage, browser history, website traffic, device type etc. :mad: It's there for the boring reading, buried in tiny letters at the bottom of its main page. Nothing you can do about it except switch. :ROFLMAO:

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I don't trust my ISP, but they give a good stable connection over the last couple of years: But their admin is so unbelievably rubbish with bells on I honestly don't think they have the capability of tracking anyone, whoever they are. They lose even my home address when I ring up so I think I have little to fear. Apart the harmless occasional boobs & meows that appear on my screen & TV programs from 40 or more years ago via cooodi I have little to fear anyway :)

Nuno

Level 2
Verified
Feb 26, 2016
My ISP is Vodafone.
Vodafone is a UK based telecommunications company.
Therefore, even though I trust them regarding QoS, I don't trust them with my data and personal information.

But the thing is, who can we trust? If we don't trust our ISP, why would we trust a VPN provider? If we don't trust any of these, can we trust software makers? Our AV's? Neighbors that might be able to sniff our network?

I say cut the wire!!! :p

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I voted 'NO', cause they don't allow me to change my DNS servers. I have plenty of other choices but my current one provides best bang for the buck (50/50 mbps connection for about $13/ 820 INR) and good customer support.

Last edited:

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
My Isp wants 1$ per 2 gigabytes and provide me 200kb/sec DW speed:giggle:So how can I trust them?:notworthy:
We Also have internet censorship and its like you have a man in the middle in your network:p
But I already cover everything with open VPN and double DNS:cautious:

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I trust my ISP as much as I trust all those security programs and other pieces of software that I use; not completely, but enough to use it.
Me too. Besides that, I've never had any bigger problems with my ISP. Connection speed and bills are as promised so I really have nothing to complain. I have VPN installed though but I'm not using it for surfing the web.

About spying, I've heard that we have strict laws which prevents ISPs spying. Apparently, they can only track users activity if given explicit permissions from authorities. :)

Last edited:

Transhumana

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Me too. Besides that, I've never had any bigger problems with my ISP. Connection speed and bills are as promised so I really have nothing to complain. I have VPN installed though but I'm not using it for surfing the web.

About spying, I've heard that we have strict laws which prevents ISPs spying. Apparently, they can only track users activity if given explicit permissions from authorities. :)

The only big complain concerning my ISP so far was about not delivering the promised speed, but they have made some improvement in that field. :) You're probably right about ISPs spying; I think that issue is probably regulated with Electronic Communications Act (Zakon o elektroničkim komunikacijama) or with Personal Data Protection Act (Zakon o zaštiti osobnih podataka) but I'm not completely sure to be honest.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.