Votes: 40 62.5%

• Total voters

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Hah ....... Strange ....... Why they don't allow you to change your DNS servers ....... :unsure::unsure::cautious::rolleyes::oops: .......
This was their official response.
Hi Guys,

there is a purpose in what we do.

Ensuring customers use our DNS servers and not some Public DNS, we provide same experience to everyone.

If you just allow Random use of DNS, some customers will (without knowledge) use them and get poor performance as general and will think this is because of Excitel, but in reality it is because customer is using DNS that today decided to respond slowly or to not work at all....

Also, only if Customers use our DNS servers they will get maximum benefit from our Local Peering and CDN agreements and will fetch traffic locally, which again improves experience, and if they use even google dns (8.8.8.8) or other Public DNS, they can fetch an Indian site from Outside of India with 200+ ms delay which will spoil the experience...

So the only way we can ensure maximum localization of content is to provide Local DNSes and to ensure everybody uses them....

The above comes with some trade off of course. Sometimes a site owner breaks his DNS records and the site becomes inaccessible if DNS records are quickly updated with the wrong ones (as we do in our case) and the site can remain reachable if user uses Public DNS that caches results for hours.

Again here, customer thinks if the site is not opening on Excitel, but opening on Other ISP (where I use Public DNS) it's for sure Excitel issue :) but this is not always true... it's Site issue, but due to the way Excitel uses DNS (keep small cache, try to always check with Root DNS servers) it's more quickly that the issue of the Site is surfaced to its users. Once the Site realizes they broke DNS records, they fix it and in this moment it is fixed for all users of Excitel as well.

We believe we are doing the right thing :)
Well to be honest their DNS is faster than Google public DNS in my area and reliable too. But still I would have loved it even more if I had the option of choosing my own DNS provider.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I changed my ISP's DNS to Google Public DNS in router and on every device I have. Few times happened that ISP's DNS servers were down and no one could access the internet. Google Public DNS servers are really really fast here, ping is just 20 ms, sometimes lower.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I changed my ISP's DNS to Google Public DNS in router and on every device I have. Few times happened that ISP's DNS servers were down and no one could access the internet. Google Public DNS servers are really really fast here, ping is just 20 ms, sometimes lower.
20 ms is not fast at all. My isp provided dns servers have a ping of mostly 1ms. And Google public DNS have a ping of about 3-4 ms.
Edit: primary Google dns server (8.8.8.8) has a ping of about 80ms but the secondary one (8.8.4.4) has a latency of 3-4ms. Pretty weird righto_O
@L S you are right. They always do.

Last edited:

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
20 ms is not fast at all. My isp provided dns servers have a ping of mostly 1ms. And Google public DNS have a ping of about 3-4 ms.
Edit: primary Google dns server (8.8.8.8) has a ping of about 80ms but the secondary one (8.8.4.4) has a latency of 3-4ms. Pretty weird righto_O
To be honest, I rather use stable DNS with 20 ms ping than with 1 ms and often fails. Besides that, 20 ms is very good result especially if the nearest server resolver is located more than 1,400 km away on the other side of the continent. Google has data center in India and that's why you have small ping to 8.8.4.4.

Last edited:

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
To be honest, I rather use DNS with 20 ms ping than with 1 ms and often fails.
If it fails, then sure. Definitely.
Besides that, 20 ms is very good result especially if the nearest server resolver is located more than 1,400 km away on the other side of the continent. Google has data center in India and that's why you have small ping to 8.8.4.4.
Wow, 1400 km. :(

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Our confidence, or lack of, for the ISP services we are provided is an intriguing:unsure: subject that has kept me reading up 'til now!o_O Trust is a powerfully 'personal' concept we withhold whether or not we accept our transparency here in the USA as well as the knowledge that none of us are truly invisible.:cool: This can be very similar to the many modes of transportation:barefoot: we both embrace and sometimes loath. So, too, are our forms of communications, text messages, and streamed entertainment, we constantly consume.:coffee: It reminds me of how picking up food at a drive-through window requires far less of an awareness:X3: of just how our meal is prepared rather than when we allow ourselves to sit & interact with others to more closely experience the food & flavors we take into our bodies. Yes, ISPs have morphed into another of the "cookie cutter" forms our lives now offer us as the proverbial 'lemons' life grants us to make into "Lemonade". Acceptance would perhaps be a more fitting word than trust, and our respectively perceived sense of safety (or fear) has more to do with the intellectual uncertainty of what may be taken from us.:whistle:
So, as I'll continue to choose to drive upon these teaming internet highways, I shall also choose to consciously embrace acceptance rather than lament my loss of being able to feel completely trusting therefore I will choose to Accept that which I cannot trust whilst doing my best not to crash:eek: or be crushed.:geek:

Last edited:

Cohen

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
I trust my ISP to give me fast speeds and fairly constant access to the internet, they've proven themselves there.

I don't trust my ISP to respect my privacy. ISPs can have good intentions, but they have to abide by the law of the country they are in, which, in Australia, means keeping logs and handing them over to the authorities if they are requested.

I use a PIA (VPN service) for the best of both worlds, fast connection speed and much more privacy (in many ways) than not using a VPN.

At least I don't live in America, where ISPs can sell their users' data. :eek:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.