Advice Request Do you use a 32 bit or 64 bit browser?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Migration towards 64-bit is very slow, but I use a 64-bit OS and Browser.

Don't expect everyone to switch to 64-bit software for a very long time.

We already know that Apple will end 32-bit app support on iOS, that's progress.

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
I'm currently using Vivaldi 32bit as there were stability issues with the 64bit version in the past, but they are resolved now. I'm planning to move to x64 soon.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Honestly, I don't know. I'm using Opera which is installed in Program Files by default (not Program Files (x86)) but Task Manager shows processes Opera.exe *32. I'm confused. o_O
In the "Programs Files (x86)" folder you'll find 32-bit programs, in the folder "Program Files" the 64-bit ones and the system automatically does this.
From the Task Manager if you see Opera.exe *32 process, then you're using Opera 32-bit.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
In the "Programs Files (x86)" folder you'll find 32-bit programs, in the folder "Program files" the 64-bit ones and the system automatically does this.
From the Task Manager if you see Opera.exe *32 process, then you're using Opera 32-bit.
Funny thing, when I installed Opera for the first time, Task Manager said Opera.exe (without *32) so I was originally using 64-bit version. I'll reinstall Opera later to see if that fixes problem.

Thanks. :)

EDIT: Running installation package without reinstalling Opera fixed problem. Now I'm using Opera 64-bit. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Winter Soldier

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I actually use both 32 and 64 bits browsers. For professional reasons I have to access some sites where the system just does not work on 64bit browsers. For day to day I use mostly 64 bits browsers...

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Funny thing, when I installed Opera for the first time, Task Manager said Opera.exe (without *32) so I was originally using 64-bit version. I'll reinstall Opera later to see if that fixes problem.

EDIT: Running installation package without reinstalling Opera fixed problem. Now I'm using Opera 64-bit. :D
Glad you've solved :)

Reactions: Marko :)

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Reactions: tonibalas

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016

Never thought Opera had 64-bit. Though I only used the offline installer so there's only the 32-bit offline installer?

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Never thought Opera had 64-bit. Though I only used the offline installer so there's only the 32-bit offline installer?
Apparently, there is. Process Explorer says that Opera is 64-bit.

Screenshot_1.png

Reactions: Winter Soldier

ng4ever

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
Cyberfox x64 is great but it seems that the developer will stop the program:(
Cyberfox author proclaims death of web browser - gHacks Tech News

There always Waterfox!

Plus he plans to keep XUL addon support which is great to hear! I will let others test drive it first while I stay on Firefox ESR until 2018!

Waterfox developer eventually will create a whole new browser based on the old Firefox once Firefox 57 is released! So it will keep XUL addon support so you can use addons like Classic Theme Restorer, etc!

I am not sure if Roboform, Lastpass, or 1Password will work on Waterfox either. Does anyone know please? Thanks.

ng4ever

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
That was one of the reasons to eventually turn to Cyberfox.

I didn't knew that.
Now i have much more respect for the whole program

Yeah same reason I preferred Cyberfox too.

The Waterfox developer hopes to get help once it turns in to a completely new browser based with XUL addon support well into 2018+

Hopefully this happens.

Reactions: tonibalas
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.