Advice Request Do you use AppCheck Anti-Ransom?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Do you use AppCheck?

• I use AppCheck free version

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • I use AppCheck pro version

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • I use a different anti-ransomware

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • I don't need a standalone antiransomware solution

Votes: 34 51.5%
  • What's Appcheck?

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • What's ransomware?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I use this software (free) for all my friend and family member's PCs. It's so light and quite effective

the downside is, it creates backup folders everywhere when there are protected files in the extension list => it not only protects files from C: documents but also anywhere

But I don't use it in my laptop because I don't need it

IMO it the most effective free antiransomware tool available, besides other paid solutions and anti-exes, SRP, sandboxes

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
I would really like to see a fully functional evaluation version, even for a day, many of the features i'm interested in are available in the PRO only.

Copy-paste from another thread:
The free version will not remove the ransomware, will not protect the mbr or files in shared folders - i don't understand this, is it only protecting shared folders from a remote encryption and not the entire drive, i don't know, in the case of administrative shares - automatic backups are not working.

So without the pro version, it's very difficult to test all the other main features of the app...

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Tested the free version of AppCheck using a ransomeware simulator, and it scored 10/10. Since then, I have been using it. As far as MBR protection goes, aren't newer GPT partitions exempt from this danger? For those with MBR based installations of Windows there is always MBR Filter for protecting the MBR, although it is quirky to remove and this can lead to permanent problems. I expect a system backup before removing it should alleviate this risk. On the folders, I don't notice them. Overall, this is so light as Evjl's said, so why not add the program? It's been tested in the wild and performs extremely well.

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
Tested the free version of AppCheck using a ransomeware simulator, and it scored 10/10. Since then, I have been using it. As far as MBR protection goes, aren't newer GPT partitions exempt from this danger? For those with MBR based installations of Windows there is always MBR Filter for protecting the MBR, although it is quirky to remove and this can lead to permanent problems. I expect a system backup before removing it should alleviate this risk. On the folders, I don't notice them. Overall, this is so light as Evjl's said, so why not add the program? It's been tested in the wild and performs extremely well.

Nope, just tested today Petya on GPT. Ended up without any partitions and a big red skull on my display :)

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017

Sorry, i forgot to ask, where you using KnowBe4's RanSim? It's the only simulator i know of. Thank you :)

Reactions: AtlBo

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Nope, just tested today Petya on GPT. Ended up without any partitions and a big red skull on my display :)
Okay, but again, that's an MBR problem, which this software doesn't protect against.
Keep in mind that even a GPT disk has an MBR sector at the beginning of the disk, and although it's repairable, AppCheck won't prevent that kind of damage. You need to run a boot repair tool, and that should fix the partitions.

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
Okay, but again, that's an MBR problem, which this software doesn't protect against.
Keep in mind that even a GPT disk has an MBR sector at the beginning of the disk, and although it's repairable, AppCheck won't prevent that kind of damage. You need to run a boot repair tool, and that should fix the partitions.

Yep, i know, not to worry though, it was my test machine, as long as it doesn't fry my ssd it's ok :))

I use Macrium to restore :D

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
appcheck free doesn't protect against MBR ransomwares but the pro version has. + extra features that increase the effectiveness

cruelsister made 2 videos about appcheck free and pro. The pro one showed the perfect result

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
appcheck free doesn't protect against MBR ransomwares but the pro version has. + extra features that increase the effectiveness

cruelsister made 2 videos about appcheck free and pro. The pro one showed the perfect result

Still, it would be awesome to test a trial version. In general, i always got the feeling they (like in general) have something to hide if they do not provide a trial version, specially if the software is enterprise grade. I get to visit some of the IT conferences every year, and there are extremely few enterprise grade products without a trial version (except the ones that require a proprietary hardware). You just can't expect people to believe you and buy your product in the enterprise zone. They always test before they buy. This is my personal experience.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I think we should use only the free version
if I decide to pay for an antiransomware, I would rather pay for winantiransom, which has never failed in any test I have ever seen including several videos from cruelsister. Only problem is the rate of false positives, quite high

Peter2150

Level 7
Verified
Oct 24, 2015
I don't use it as I don't see the need. I have tested the pro version and it does basically work but your machine is still invected so you have no idea about residual effects.

So my solution is Pumpernickel(FIDES) to protect the two other internal drives, and hourly incrementals with Macrium to protect the c: drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.