Do you use more than Anti-spyware Software?

Moose

Level 22
Thread author
Jun 14, 2011
Hello everyone!

Do you use more than Anti-Spyware Software? It
not why?
And what is your combinations for removing Adware,
Bots,Trojans and Spyware?

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
I am not using any real time scanners, just using Sandboxie and NoScript for prevention. I know I talked Sandboxie with you before, if you were using it "all the rime", by now you would not be thinking about what scanners to use.

If you want to use on demand scanners, I recommend HitmanPro, Malwarebytes and Eset Online Scanner.

Bo

Moose

Level 22
Thread author
Jun 14, 2011
Hello, bo.elam!

I will check into SandBoxie? Are there any Con's about SandBoxie?
Also, is there a year renewal of SandBoxie? And what happen if
SandBoxie fall short?

Moose

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Moose said:
Hello, bo.elam!

I will check into SandBoxie? Are there any Con's about SandBoxie?
Also, is there a year renewal of SandBoxie? And what happen if
SandBoxie fall short?

Moose
Hey Moose, to me there are no cons about SBIE. As a matter of fact, deciding to use SBIE is the best decision that I ever made in the Internet and a decision that has made my Internet experience better.

Using SBIE makes things better because now I can do what I really like when I am using the computer instead of spending hours scanning and worrying about infections.

If you like to try SBIE, start using the free version and after a while, if you like the program then purchase the lifetime license. You wont need to renew it.:cool: You pay once and thats it. It is worth it.

Start using SBIE along your favorite real time antivirus but very important.....use SBIE the whole time, not only part of the time. There is no reason not to. Some AV work better than others with SBIE. For example, Avira, Avast and MSE should be fine.

Bo

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
For removing Adware and those types of malware, I normally use MalwareBytes, Hitman Pro. I don't really use any real time Anti-spyware.

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
No, I just use super anti-spyware?
*what?? super anti-spyware?*
LOL
just joke. for me, I just use one important is MBAM pro.

Reactions: Behold Eck

davids

Dec 29, 2011
I use avast free and Vipre Antivirus for real time protection.I also use Super AntiSpyware free as on demand scanner which has great capacity to remove spyware and Emsisoft AntiMalware free which has great tendency to remove Trojan's. I also use Zemana anti-keyLogger to protect against Keyloggers.I use Online Armor firewall free and BuffeZone to isolate browser.

Moose

Level 22
Thread author
Jun 14, 2011
Primary Scanner is Kaspersky Internet Security 2012
Malwarebtyes Anti-Malware Pro = Secondary Scanner!
UnHackMe by Greatis Software wityh Boot Time Scanner.
HitMan Pro by SurfRight.
Kaspersky tdsskiler
Bitderfender Bootkit Removal Tool

and I am thinking about PC tools Antispyware?
But, I am concern about the Resources/Ram Usage?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Nowadays (as far as I know), all AV engines include an AS engine. So, Kaspersky should protect you all round. You don't need anything extra (with the exception for MBAM Pro or SAS Pro for the ones who don't mind).

Just a FYI, Windows Vista and 7 have built-in Realtime AntiSpyware protection; Windows Defender. (Separate download for Windows XP).
Note: Microsoft Security Essentials disables Windows Defender, that should give you a good indication that an AV succeeds AntiSpyware programs.

I've never heard of PC Tools Anti-Spyware, unless it's Spyware Doctor you speak of. Mind you it's not free, and if resource and RAM usage concerns you, bests to not use PC Tools.

Embrace the power of Kaspersky Internet Security.

Viking

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
For on demand scanners I use:

Malwarebytes
Hitman Pro
Superantispyware
TDSSkiller

On USB:
Emisoft Emergency Toollkit
Comodo Cleaning Essentials

I have been using Spyware Doctor for about 4 years now, but gave it up not long ago due to conflicts.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Do you use more than Anti-spyware Software?
Like Earth said, any modern antivirus should be able to detect and remove all sort of malware (adware, spyware, trojans , rootkits etc.). Instead of adding a anti-spyware software to your real time protection which is basically scanning your files with their database, I would suggest you add different layer of protection that doesn't rely on detection to prevent infections ( eg: behavior blocker, hips or sandbox. )
When it comes to on-demand scanners MBAM or Hitman Pro will be as effective (if not better) as Superantispyware as they have great heuristic engines and signatures.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
No since almost all AVs and Anti-Malware software includes signatures for malware which covers more than spyware.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well actually for generations came, AV were integrated with AS so which not only removes virus but even spyware, adware, rootkits and etc.

For me actually Hitman Pro and MBAM are my secondary on demand scanners that can actually detect more viruses if the AV miss other threats.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
And the fact of the matter is that their aren't many popular choices of a true Anti-spyware Software ... Well the only one that I know is SuperAntiSpyware and lets face it...it's not the best...

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Jack said:
And the fact of the matter is that their aren't many popular choices of a true Anti-spyware Software ... Well the only one that I know is SuperAntiSpyware and lets face it...it's not the best...

I remember the good old days when Anti-virus software didn't detect spyware.

Spybot S&D, Giant Anti-Spyware, Ewido Anti-Spyware, CounterSpy, SpywareBlaster, eTrust Anti-Spyware, PestPatrol, Ad-Aware, PC Tools Spyware Doctor, Webroot SpySweeper, Spyware Eliminator, etc.
No telling how more, all no longer needed or already discontinued.

Thanks.:D

Moose

Level 22
Thread author
Jun 14, 2011
I totally agree with the above comments. That their are not many popular choices of a true Anti-spyware Software .
Example of modern time would be Trojan Remover! And as far as AV's

Looking over http://www.av-test.org/index.php?L=1

But we all know that one anti virus does not cover real world. And their is no best anti virus!
So it very hard to make choices on limit information!

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
I think of this scanners as follow: MBAM, great for detecting whats usually missed by regular antiviruses, HMP, nice application for detecting infected executables and SAS, good for detecting adware.

Bo

Moose

Level 22
Thread author
Jun 14, 2011
bo.elam,
Littlebits,
JackJamescv7,
BoXX28!

Thank you for your insight and information!

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
I would never rely on a single piece of software for total protection. On my family and friends Pc's I use Comodo 5.9 + EAM, which is overkill but works really well. Also don't forget to not only lockdown your browsers but take a look at MS emet as well. If you have a more recent intel chip you can also enable hardware DEP in bios and in Win7.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
I currently do not as I have carefully set my self up with multiple backup options, I've never had a need for a stand alone Anti-Spyware application.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.